Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Yes I have done yoga, thank you. I love bikram but I don't think it's a fat burning exercise as much stretching. And sweating a lot is not a gauge of how many calories you're burning, it's our bodies cooling down.

I get what sweating is...but I also know this.

That I lift weights...heavy weights and can bench press my body weight and I am not strong enough yet to get into a lot of the yoga poses out there and hold them...so when you can and you believe those aren't real exercise or burns calories (btw just laying burns calories) come talk to us.

c3ylnpaj283x.jpg
    9hpfpe66n3c2.jpg

ETA these images...for example...tell me that these are not exercise... :D:D:D

Good for you. I'll stick with what another person wrote, we have a different definition of exercise. It would also appear that our goals are very different as well.

I agreed with it as well...but still not sure how you can say those images are not exercise...but hey you have at.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    @quiksylver296 Vinyasa you say? I'll look into that, thank you!
  • MsChewMe
    MsChewMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yes I have done yoga, thank you. I love bikram but I don't think it's a fat burning exercise as much stretching. And sweating a lot is not a gauge of how many calories you're burning, it's our bodies cooling down.

That I lift weights...heavy weights and can bench press my body weight and I am not strong enough yet to get into a lot of the yoga poses out there and hold them...so when you can and you believe those aren't real exercise or burns calories (btw just laying burns calories) come talk to us.

c3ylnpaj283x.jpg
    9hpfpe66n3c2.jpg

Good for you. I'll stick with what another person wrote, we have a different definition of exercise. It would also appear that our goals are very different as well.

I agreed with it as well...but still not sure how you can say those images are not exercise...but hey you have at.

Flexibility, balance and strength wrapped up in one pose. IKR
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    MsChewMe wrote: »

c3ylnpaj283x.jpg
    9hpfpe66n3c2.jpg

Flexibility, balance and strength wrapped up in one pose. IKR

I am in awe of these people..and those that do the transitions etc...amazing...

cody is one I think who does amazing transitions etc.

if I ever get into yoga...yah I am all over it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    @quiksylver296 Vinyasa you say? I'll look into that, thank you!

You'll have to come back and tell us whether that changes your opinion of yoga.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    when I was doing yoga, many years ago, I tried many different kinds.

Vinyasa (which means "flow") Yoga is all about movement, and is very taxing on the muscles.

There was another form that the studio called "zen" yoga, which was entirely stretching and holding poses for long time. It was intentionally not strenuous, and probably didn't burn hardly any calories. In fact, it might even burn fewer calories than normal activity, because it''s a lot of sitting very still and focusing on breathing, relaxing, and lowering the heart rate. Which would slow down your metabolic function.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »

Vinyasa (which means "flow") Yoga is all about movement, and is very taxing on the muscles.

There was another form that the studio called "zen" yoga, which was entirely stretching and holding poses for long time. It was intentionally not strenuous, and probably didn't burn hardly any calories. In fact, it might even burn fewer calories than normal activity, because it''s a lot of sitting very still and focusing on breathing, relaxing, and lowering the heart rate. Which would slow down your metabolic function.

I've just started doing a little zen yoga. It is so hard for my Type A personality! LOL When I actually quit trying to push each exercise to my limits and actually relax into the practice, it is SO GOOD. I feel so relaxed and energized afterwards. I do, however, agree that there is probably no "exercise" in zen yoga.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    MsChewMe wrote: »

I've just started doing a little zen yoga. It is so hard for my Type A personality! LOL When I actually quit trying to push each exercise to my limits and actually relax into the practice, it is SO GOOD. I feel so relaxed and energized afterwards. I do, however, agree that there is probably no "exercise" in zen yoga.

The exercise is patience.

Touche!
  • jdlobb
    Options

I really need to start doing yoga again, but it would be hard to fit into my schedule, and I'm till much heavier than I was back when I did it regularly, so my vanity is an impairment. But sooner or later I should start doing it again so i can regain that level of mobility.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I really need to start doing yoga again, but it would be hard to fit into my schedule, and I'm till much heavier than I was back when I did it regularly, so my vanity is an impairment. But sooner or later I should start doing it again so i can regain that level of mobility.

I want to get into yoga as well...I Have never done it really...

I have tried a few of what people would call harder poses for a beginner flamingo I think was one...and I could do it..but my thing is the drive to go do it just isn't there...

I don't want it bad enough apparently.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

I have tried a few of what people would call harder poses for a beginner flamingo I think was one...and I could do it..but my thing is the drive to go do it just isn't there...

The same with me. As a recovering alpha-male I have never felt that yoga had any role in my fitness plan, but I have started to prioritize flexibility and feel that yoga would be beneficial. But I haven't bought in to the extent that I have taken the step to actually show up at a yoga class, lol.
  • jdlobb
    Options

when I was 22 and fresh out of active duty I lived 2 blocks from the best yoga studio in Baltimore, and being a healthy young man with a single track mind, I figured it would be a great way to meet women. (it was).

I stopped going a few years later when I moved to New York. Coincidentally, that's also when I started piling on weight like a bear before winter.
  • MsChewMe
    MsChewMe Posts: 130 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I was same way about yoga, i always poopoo’d it. But I read an article along these lines (see link)and it got me thinking about my flexibility and balance. Ugh

https://www.prevention.com/fitness/fitness-tips/stand-sit-test-predicts-longevity
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

...You've never really done yoga but you can sit there and say to me to 'come talk to us' when I can do certain poses, poses you yourself can't do and from what you say, you don't really try to do anyway? That's rich.

She simply said once you could do those poses then try to say it isn't exercise, but she never claimed she could do them herself. I personally can't do any of those poses either but it is fairly obvious that it would take a ton of strength, coordination, and balance to perform them which lends support to the idea that it is exercise. The pictures were posted to refute your claim that yoga is not exercise so I would take a step back down off of your high horse for a second and maybe try to see her point which you clearly missed.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Why does someone have to have done yoga to see that certain poses would require lots of strength and flexibility and hard work?

Oh no, you're ABSOLUTELY right, they don't. I never said or implied that was necessary. It was her snide comment in her original post with the photos that got me. 'Come talk to us.' Who is the 'us' since it can't be you because you don't even do yoga. It rubbed me the wrong way when I read it but I let it go initially until she said she doesn't even do it.

I interpreted the "come talk to us" about it not being exercise, not come talk to us yogis.
This discussion has been closed.