Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Why does someone have to have done yoga to see that certain poses would require lots of strength and flexibility and hard work?

Oh no, you're ABSOLUTELY right, they don't. I never said or implied that was necessary. It was her snide comment in her original post with the photos that got me. 'Come talk to us.' Who is the 'us' since it can't be you because you don't even do yoga. It rubbed me the wrong way when I read it but I let it go initially until she said she doesn't even do it.

I don't do yoga..no I don't...I have done yoga tho and my husband does it and I have a very good friend who is amazing at it and another who is an instructor.

and did you not read where I said I Have tried and succeed in some of the harder poses such as flamingo even as a beginner.

not sure why me not actively pursuing yoga has anything to do with the validity of my statements...

I understand it is difficult and have tried some of those poses hence why I know it takes a lot of strength to do (which you discount apparently) and was surprised at the fact I am going ot have to really up my game if I want to do them.

you want snide...how about "yoga isn't really exercise"...now that is a slap in the face for those who know how hard it can be.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Why does someone have to have done yoga to see that certain poses would require lots of strength and flexibility and hard work?

Oh no, you're ABSOLUTELY right, they don't. I never said or implied that was necessary. It was her snide comment in her original post with the photos that got me. 'Come talk to us.' Who is the 'us' since it can't be you because you don't even do yoga. It rubbed me the wrong way when I read it but I let it go initially until she said she doesn't even do it.

I don't do yoga..no I don't...I have done yoga tho and my husband does it and I have a very good friend who is amazing at it and another who is an instructor.

and did you not read where I said I Have tried and succeed in some of the harder poses such as flamingo even as a beginner.

not sure why me not actively pursuing yoga has anything to do with the validity of my statements...

I understand it is difficult and have tried some of those poses hence why I know it takes a lot of strength to do (which you discount apparently) and was surprised at the fact I am going ot have to really up my game if I want to do them.

you want snide...how about "yoga isn't really exercise"...now that is a slap in the face for those who know how hard it can be.

You mean posting an unpopular opinion in a thread about unpopular opinions is snide? Weird.

posting Yoga isn't really an exercise could be considered snide to those who know better yes...just because it's in the correct thread doesn't negate it being snide.

Exercise by definition is something done to increase the health and/or fitness of a person...so in essence Yoga is a "true" exercise as it is done for those two reasons exclusively.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Why would you chose to believe something that is objectively false?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I should really really do more yoga and I have a friend who is always trying to encourage me. I get it, I get why it's good for me, I would like to get more of my flexibility back but I have tried quite a few varieties and it's just a yawnfest for me. I think because I am stuck in the middle, not strong enough for the super cool stuff and too impatient to put in the work to get there. I need to get over myself.

The fact that I am naturally very supple doesn't help, adds to the meh attitude. I can already fold flat onto my thighs, why bother? But then there's the bit of me that's like, come on, we want our oversplit back! Oh human brains.

I think anything that purposefully moves the body through an unusual range of movement or at a speed not generally used day to day can be counted as exercise. And also purposefully walking. If it is contributing to your longevity and health it's exercise. Flexibility is a huge part of ageing well.

This totally explains my feelings too...

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I should really really do more yoga and I have a friend who is always trying to encourage me. I get it, I get why it's good for me, I would like to get more of my flexibility back but I have tried quite a few varieties and it's just a yawnfest for me. I think because I am stuck in the middle, not strong enough for the super cool stuff and too impatient to put in the work to get there. I need to get over myself.

The fact that I am naturally very supple doesn't help, adds to the meh attitude. I can already fold flat onto my thighs, why bother? But then there's the bit of me that's like, come on, we want our oversplit back! Oh human brains.

I think anything that purposefully moves the body through an unusual range of movement or at a speed not generally used day to day can be counted as exercise. And also purposefully walking. If it is contributing to your longevity and health it's exercise. Flexibility is a huge part of ageing well.

yeah, exercise is just something done purposefully with the intention of improving one's self physically.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I have found that I burn about the same amount of calories from yoga as I do walking the same amount of time. Beyond that, my balance and flexability has made doing my other strength training easier. Additionally, I love yoga because it forces me to get out of my head for a while.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    I think gyms make people lazy and codependent on someone else to decide for them what exercises they can and can't do based on machinery provided.

So if you don't have the advanced equipment at home to continue to improve your strength and cardio you suddenly become lazy because you join a gym with the equipment you need???

I don't need advanced equipment to stay fit. That's what the front door is for. It opens up to a world of free and limitless options.
This discussion has been closed.