Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your unpopular opinions about health / fitness?

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    I think gyms make people lazy and codependent on someone else to decide for them what exercises they can and can't do based on machinery provided.

So if you don't have the advanced equipment at home to continue to improve your strength and cardio you suddenly become lazy because you join a gym with the equipment you need???

I don't need advanced equipment to stay fit. That's what the front door is for. It opens up to a world of free and limitless options.

Hard to train for powerlifting outside of the gym. I am almost offended at being called lazy and codependent. I work my *kitten* off for my goals.

ETA: Just FYI, my goal next Saturday is a 400 lb deadlift. Again, not sure how I could train for that outside of a gym.

Just interrupting here to say “You go girl!!”

A 400 lb deadlift is not a goal easily obtained. Well done.

Thanks, @Carlos_421. Good to see you back. 380 lbs will break state record. 400 is my BHAG (Big Hairy Audacious Goal).

Rock on!! State record!! That’s a big deal!! Congrats ahead of time!!
  • coffeebean92
    coffeebean92 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to caffeine and I don't see it as a problem. Also I love diet coke and if I get hungry but have eaten all my calories for that meal, in order to space out my calories I drink diet coke, water, bai juice etc to hold me over till the next meal. No I am not starving I just like to eat a lot and caffeine helps me maintain my weight.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    IMO, most multivitamins are pretty low in most nutrients (except for b 12, sometimes) and often only have around 100% of the FDA DRV of most of them, which is a pretty much just a token amount.

Now I'm confused. DRV is daily recommend amount, right? So if you are taking 100% of the DRV, aren't you getting what you are supposed to have? If it's actually necessary to go over the DRV, in some cases I've seen to the tune of 3 or 4x the DRV, then why is that number the DRV and not the higher one?

The DRV is supposed to be an adequate intake to prevent deficiency in healthy, "average" individuals, meaning that you're of an average weight, get adequate outdoor activity, don't take a prescription medication, and aren't pregnant or with any other medical conditions. While that sounds simple, most people don't fall into that category, so the DRV really isn't relevant for them. Furthermore, even in "average" individuals, the DRVs are just meant to be a baseline of intake to prevent deficiency, which isn't necessarily the amount that promotes optimal health.

Still using D3 and multivitamins as an example, most multivitamins that use D3 only include about 400iu (100% of the DRV). That would make a lot of people that spend the majority of their time indoors test as being deficient when they get their levels tested. Even as someone who is young, healthy, and does fall into the FDA's definition of "average", I still take 5000iu of D3 daily, and that's the amount that keeps my levels in the middle of the healthy range.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Are mental gymnastics a sport?

no and apparently regular gymnastics aren't either because you can't interfere with the other persons routine...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Apparently a popular opinion: Making your children do exercises in gym class is cruel and unusual punishment.

I look at this positively and think how amazing my kids are going to be by comparison.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Apparently a popular opinion: Making your children do exercises in gym class is cruel and unusual punishment.

I look at this positively and think how amazing my kids are going to be by comparison.

Right?!? Like you, I believe, both hubby and I have coached sports. Punishment is running laps, pushups, etc.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    ariluna92 wrote: »
    I am addicted to caffeine and I don't see it as a problem. Also I love diet coke and if I get hungry but have eaten all my calories for that meal, in order to space out my calories I drink diet coke, water, bai juice etc to hold me over till the next meal. No I am not starving I just like to eat a lot and caffeine helps me maintain my weight.

I don't see drinking caffeine as a problem. If this is a strategy that works for you, I am all for you using it. Personally, I found that once I got off caffeine (after the initial pain of not being able to rely on it) I tend to feel better and don't feel the need for it. This is probably more in my mind than anything physical. I use water, like you use Diet Coke, to keep me satisfied until my next meal.
  • hyby
    hyby Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My unpopular opinion: breakfast is not essential. Personally, I don't eat breakfast at all. I think it's ridiculous to claim that your body will go into "starvation mode" if you eat at noon instead of eight in the morning. I tend to eat my biggest meal in the evening, and in the mornings I'm not hungry. Given that people who practice intermittent fasting aren't "starving", I see no issue. Eat if you're hungry, by all means, but I typically eat 4-5 smaller meals a day starting with lunch, and that's what satisfies me.
This discussion has been closed.