Litting Heavy is One of Many Options

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I think when people say "lift heavy"...they're referring to lifting or doing resistance training in general. Any fitness regimen worth it's salt is going to incorporate resistance training, regardless of whether you're training for a triathlon, marathon, or whatever; some sort of resistance training is crucial for overall fitness.

SS and SL get mentioned a lot because they are good beginner routines that build an awesome foundation of functional strength that you can ultimately take in any direction, regardless of your goals. While I would agree that some people tout these as the be all end all, i would simply argue that they're a good place to start and a good place to get really familiar with compound lifts that should be front and center of any weight training regimen whether you're talking strength or hypertrophy.

I'd also add that the biggest mistake endurance athletes can make is ignoring resistance work in lieu of more cardio. I understand the desire to get out there and run more or cycle more or swim more or whatever if you're doing a race...but like my defacto triathlon coach tells me..."you ignore the weight room at your own peril."
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    by-your-powers-combined-oh-sorry-i-thought-you.gif
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    and I like looking:bigsmile:

and speaking as just one of your many mindless, slavering minions, I enjoy showing.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    In like a minion!!

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

rmctspV.gif?1

The minion with the blowout is totally the Moon Moon of the group.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • gwhizeh
    gwhizeh Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    In because: Funny!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    While there are many options, there are options that provide better results. The OP has stated she abhors lifting, so that's probably NOT going to be a priority. Some lose weight with no exercise at all. Weight loss with cardio and calorie deficit works. Some are happy with the result, some aren't. And the same goes with lifting and calorie deficit. Although, my experience is that people that do have resistance training as part of their weight loss program are more satisfied with results.
    The reality is that people are going to lose weight the way they think works for them. Some will get results they want, some won't. But my personal philosophy for all clients is to retain what lean body mass they have, better their overall fitness (which includes cardio), and help them achieve the physique they desire.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

Remember this is My Fitness PAL, not BODYBUILDING Dot COM. Let's support everyone on their fitness journey and respect the different paths they choose to get there. We may not all have the same goals, but we do share the common desire to be fit and healthy, so can we get there will a little less judgement.

Ha!! Good luck with that. In the 2+ years I've been here, when I mention that I don't lift heavy I've been told I will be skinny fat, my muscles will waste away, I will not look good naked, I will end up in a nursing home, my bone density will decrease, plus a few other things I'm forgetting at the moment.

I am told this even when I mention that I do body weight exercises, lift occasionally (but not progressively heavier and higher reps) and plyometrics, among various other exercises.

None of it has happened though. The only 2 people that see me naked think I look good. My strength and endurance have increased, while my weight, pants size and BF% have decreased.

The headless torsos don't really know it all.

I've always wondered, do you actually have cat toes? You know, because that would be something interesting you could tell people about.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    Options

Remember this is My Fitness PAL, not BODYBUILDING Dot COM. Let's support everyone on their fitness journey and respect the different paths they choose to get there. We may not all have the same goals, but we do share the common desire to be fit and healthy, so can we get there will a little less judgement.

Ha!! Good luck with that. In the 2+ years I've been here, when I mention that I don't lift heavy I've been told I will be skinny fat, my muscles will waste away, I will not look good naked, I will end up in a nursing home, my bone density will decrease, plus a few other things I'm forgetting at the moment.

I am told this even when I mention that I do body weight exercises, lift occasionally (but not progressively heavier and higher reps) and plyometrics, among various other exercises.

None of it has happened though. The only 2 people that see me naked think I look good. My strength and endurance have increased, while my weight, pants size and BF% have decreased.

They also often opine that you will not get bigger and that you will look slimmer regardless of your proportions and where you hold your fat.

If you have a modest calorie deficit and lift weights there will be less fat to hold, no? Although I completely understand your point and there is no need for you to elaborate further.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Excuse me? I think I am the only headless torso in this thread so far and I have never told someone they 'have' to 'lift heavy' to achieve their goals.

I'm pretty sure this thread hasn't been here for 2+ years.

huh?

That was my reaction.

My posts says I've been told those things over the past 2+ years. I was not refering to anyone in this thread in particular.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I've always wondered, do you actually have cat toes? You know, because that would be something interesting you could tell people about.

My husband says my pinky toes look like aliens.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Everything I have ever read about fitness (from reputable sources and books not trying to sell me something) have stressed the importance of strength training. I have read books on running, and swimming, and other endurance sports. They all have a section on resistance training on the off days for those who are serious about their activity.

Some of the PT journals that were around the hospital talked about the importance of strength training in athletes being needed to help even things out a bit. Think about how the one sidedness will affect you if you only run, or do elliptical, or whatever you will get a well toned lower body. Your upper body and core will be out of proportion with the rest of you unless you challenge them as well.

Strength training also helps to support the joints and strengthen the muscles utilized in your cardio routine. When I started running, I had huge issues with my knees. I started working my legs with strength training, and eventually, I could start running again with no knee problems.

When we talk with patients here in the clinic, and they need to lose weight due to severe obesity issues that are affecting their health, all of the educational materials we provide as well as education focus on the triad of fitness: Strength, Cardio, and Flexibility
  • bcattoes
    Options

Excuse me? I think I am the only headless torso in this thread so far and I have never told someone they 'have' to 'lift heavy' to achieve their goals.

huh?
    Ignore her Sara. She is the Master Troll. Never provides any kind of proof, heavy chip on her shoulder for 'meatheads'.

Meatheads??
  • WalkingFlower
    WalkingFlower Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    A good foundation is the key here. First correcting your posture, many people have desk or repetitive jobs, so any muscle imbalance must be corrected, and the body aligned with stretching and or yoga, if you do any exercise with poor posture it will at some point cause you injury! 2nd body weight, balance and coordination exercises, for example; Calisthenics, press ups, pull ups, planks to front/side, burpees, hanging leg raise, lunges forwards back and sideways, box jumps etc this is because we need to be fully functional and the neurological pathways need to be trained, I believe the development of core strength is paramount, after this you are ready to lift weight, the logic being this 'if you cannot stand correctly or effectively use your body under its own weight, then it is unwise to add extra heavy weight on top of a poor foundation'

... this is my way :)
  • _SABOTEUR_
    Options

huh?

That was my reaction.

My posts says I've been told those things over the past 2+ years. I was not refering to anyone in this thread in particular.

So your post was a general insult to everyone in the past 2 years whose profile pic is of their torso?
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    If you have been on MFP for a while, you will notice that lifting heavy is the most popular advice members are given regardless of fitness goal. Before anyone goes crazy, I'm not against lifting heavy, but I feel the routine should match the goals and lifting heavy does not work for every goal. At the same time, any other suggestion such as bodyweight exercises or metabolic training are ridiculed or dismissed by SOME members, when these exercises could be more or just as effective for a members goals.
    If the persons goal is getting rid of fat and retaining lbm, or getting thinner and flatter and firmer, helping arthritis (like I have) or increasing bone density, then I admit I usually recommend progressive strength training, because that works the best. If you're just looking at something to keep you active and healthy, by all means, there are a ton of things that benefit. I have no problem with bodyweight exercises since I'm kinda looking for more exercises to do with it. And HIIT and other more cardio based activities are great for all kinds of reasons. Doing something is a lot better then doing nothing. And not once have I ever see you MUST lift heavy or you are not cool or anything of that nature. Unless they are asking for the most accurate way to get lean, then yes, the recommendation would be lift heavy.

As for safety and injuries when they do it wrong...doing anything wrong will result in that, so I'm not sure why the lifting ones were specifically pointed out. I've seen many a person injure themselves during dance, yoga/pilates, and countless runners for doing various things wrong. And some of them have been quite serious.

Also I'm not a body builder...wtf does that have to do with everyone who lifts...But yes, they do recommend those routines. I've seen countless people 'keep up the gains' for a extended period of time on a deficit (years). And they don't necessarily make cardio suffer, in fact it helped mine by allot.

If cardio makes you excited and you like intense training go for it. It can be a great thing for your health if you go about it the right way. Running longer and faster are great accomplishments and I consider them positive. Nobodys goal should be to have terrible cardiovascular health. That being said I am a little concerned when someone says they don't want strength. For the sake of your health you should to some extent even if not done via heavy lifting. Nobodys goal should be to be weak and brittle.

I understand not liking strength training. I hated it to pieces. TO PIECES! But then I started looking way more amazing then I did with just cardio and dance/stretch/yoga stuff and I was all F yeah. Endurance still speaks to me. But not in the form of running. I'm more long distance hiker.

And since you said it several times I'll say it several times to let it sink in. PEOPLE WHO LIFT ARE NOT BODY BUILDERS. Very very few people who lift that I know are doing it for body building. I've seen very very few posts on body building on this site or promoting it. I don't think you know what body building is. I lift heavy, I am not a body builder, this is not a body builder body.
    IMG_20130723_101149.jpg
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I don't really care about how many cases of water I can lift at one time. For me it has NOTHING to do with strength, and everything to do with losing FAT while maintaining my lean mass. This is the key to not having to decrease your calories every 10lbs. It's not about losing just weight. I'd wager a guess that no one here wants to lose lean mass vs fat lol
  • Jlopez201
    Jlopez201 Posts: 61
    Options
    I've said it before, but there's always new people, so I'll say it again... the reason I like heavy lifting so much is because I *DON'T* particularly like lifting weights. So I want to do what it takes to get the absolute MOST impact in the shortest amount of time. I don't lift heavy because I'm a fitness nut. I lift heavy because I'm lazy and don't want to devote endless hours to fitness.

And I'm getting to an age where it's normal for women to lose muscle mass and bone density, so I want to combat that.

And made me able to run faster and longer.

And I haven't hurt myself doing normal (and abnormal) household duties like I used to.

And I can bring in all the groceries in one trip.

And it made my tushy look fantastic. :blushing:

LOL sounds about right
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I've said it before, but there's always new people, so I'll say it again... the reason I like heavy lifting so much is because I *DON'T* particularly like lifting weights. So I want to do what it takes to get the absolute MOST impact in the shortest amount of time. I don't lift heavy because I'm a fitness nut. I lift heavy because I'm lazy and don't want to devote endless hours to fitness.

And I'm getting to an age where it's normal for women to lose muscle mass and bone density, so I want to combat that.

And made me able to run faster and longer.

And I haven't hurt myself doing normal (and abnormal) household duties like I used to.

And I can bring in all the groceries in one trip.

And it made my tushy look fantastic. :blushing:

LOL sounds about right

I can carry my four year old and two year old, one in each arm, indefinitely. I don't have to put them down because of exhaustion. I like feeling strong, and I like that they see that daddy is strong. Comforts children to know their parents are superheros :-)
  • bcattoes
    Options
    While there are many options, there are options that provide better results. The OP has stated she abhors lifting, so that's probably NOT going to be a priority. Some lose weight with no exercise at all. Weight loss with cardio and calorie deficit works. Some are happy with the result, some aren't. And the same goes with lifting and calorie deficit. Although, my experience is that people that do have resistance training as part of their weight loss program are more satisfied with results.
    The reality is that people are going to lose weight the way they think works for them. Some will get results they want, some won't. But my personal philosophy for all clients is to retain what lean body mass they have, better their overall fitness (which includes cardio), and help them achieve the physique they desire.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This is pretty much my philosophy as well. Resistance/strength training should be a part of a routine for best results. But if you don't enjoy heavy lifting, or for other reasons can't do it, there are other ways to do it. For some, enjoyment is a big factor in consistency.

I'm not anti- heavy lifting. I'm just pro- enjoyment. Or pro- not hating the workout. Because I can't honestly say I "enjoy" pushups, dips or planks. I just enjoy them more than weights.
  • bcattoes
    Options

huh?

That was my reaction.

So your post was a general insult to everyone in the past 2 years whose profile pic is of their torso?

No, just the one's that made the comments to me.
This discussion has been closed.