Volume Eaters Thread

Options

Replies

• kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    @purplefizzy - This has been my last meal of the day for awhile now. Helps me up my protein intake and I sleep like a baby. The original recipe is upstream in this thread somewhere (around page 60, methinks).

If you have a blender you can make protein ice cream, one serving fills a giant mixing bowl.

60 ml sugar free maple syrup
    120 ml unsweetened almond milk
    30g protein powder (recommend chocolate or cookies n cream)
    Entire tray of ice cubes
    3g xanthan gum (add last)

Add everything to the blender except the xanthan gum and let it go on pulse or high for 2-3 minutes until your ice is completely crushed up and you see an ice cream texture. Then add the xanthan gum and go another 20-30 seconds or so on low. I've found that if you over mix the xanthan gum you will get more of a whipped texture than an ice cream texture.

Pour into your giant mixing bowl and squeal in excitement at how much ice cream you get to eat :D
    Top with more syrup and a few crushed up cookies or pb2.. whatever you have the calories for.

150-160 calories depending on PP used and toppings.

I've done with all almond milk when I was out of syrup. Works ok, but not as sweet. I usually use a sugar free vanilla syrup. I have been using chocolate protein powder,but I need to try it with some vanilla protein powder, too. Sometimes I add xanthan gum - sometimes I don't - it does make it more creamy, but it's fine without it, too.

The recipe makes a big bowl - too much for me - I only use 8 ice cubes - still makes a quart or so. Top as you like - I use chocolate syrup, chopped chocolate bars or chocolate chips.

Lifesaver for me too. I eat 2 batches every night.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I fluffed for the first time in ages today, and remembered the voluminous beauty of a good fluff ;)

Also stocked up on Shirataki noodles today. I find that if I rinse them suer well in hot water, then soak them in soy-ginger-garlic marinade, they loose the fishy ness (not a huge deal for me anyway) - or if I’m doing a different flavor profile, I soak them in garlic//lemon/herbs before pan-frying.

I’m trying to gameify the process, and look at it as a fun challenge to trim cals while getting in as much vital nutrition as possible. :)
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Welcome to my world. Welcome to the dark side :)

I pegged you for a culinary soul brother.
    Dry sense of humor, inventive use of produce, appreciation for aesthetics, and a love of recipe hacking.

I fully believe that eating well for a lifetime, for our type, involves constantly pushing into the new. I have friends that can really see food as just fuel, and can do chicken breast, sweet potato, and green veg for every meal, ad infinitum.
    I appreciate their ability to do that; to see it as fuel and nothing else. For me, food is play, art, science, community, celebration of this awesome planet and the stuff it produces.

Todays volumetric intake so far:
    Ginger tea with tumeric mylk, quart of bone broth (bones, lemongrass, ginger, shallots, ACV, peppercorns, sea salt, red pepper flakes. Finished with miso and Meyer lemon.)
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    t1peuxackfee.jpg
    1kg of raw veggies, one egg, 25 g of cheese, one apple and one orange is something that would fill my stomach for lunch, usually. And if not and i feel hungry in a couple of hours, i have nuts and granola bar on hand.
  • geiznekcm
    geiznekcm Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I mentioned this before, but, if you all don't mind me asking again and drawing more opinions, I appreciate your feedback.

I use a lot, A LOT of "non caloric" condiments. Mustard, Bragg's Liquid Aminos, hot sauce, and Mrs. Dash seasonings. I don't know how many servings of each I consume, but it is an amount well, well exceeding the "serving size" on the label. Ingredients in these products include xanthan gum and citric acid, etc. and I am sure those things and spices must have caloric value to them when they are consumed in large quantities.

What do you think? What do you know? Should I consider calories coming from these items since I use them so much?

Thank you. I apologize for not being concise.
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    geiznekcm wrote: »
    I mentioned this before, but, if you all don't mind me asking again and drawing more opinions, I appreciate your feedback.

I use a lot, A LOT of "non caloric" condiments. Mustard, Bragg's Liquid Aminos, hot sauce, and Mrs. Dash seasonings. I don't know how many servings of each I consume, but it is an amount well, well exceeding the "serving size" on the label. Ingredients in these products include xanthan gum and citric acid, etc. and I am sure those things and spices must have caloric value to them when they are consumed in large quantities.

What do you think? What do you know? Should I consider calories coming from these items since I use them so much?

It's funny how you mention this because I was just thinking about this. I made some muffins and never calculate the cinnamon I used into the calories for the muffins and I began to think about other things like mustard or hot sauce. I guess it boils down to how it's affecting your end goals. If you are still loosing weight or maintaining I wouldn't worry about it too much. Because at the end of the day, while calories are factual data, it's still a estimating game as far as to what each person takes in and as well as what we use as well.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited February 2019
    Options
    geiznekcm wrote: »

I count 50-100 for extras a day because I use COPIOUS amounts of spices, sweetener, mustard, hot sauce, etc. on everything. But if you are already maintaining there us no point in counting if you don’t need to. Just know you actually maintain on and are eating a bit higher.
  • geiznekcm
    geiznekcm Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Thank you both, SO much. I felt a bit silly asking such a thing, knowing the ridiculous amounts in which I consume things like spices, hot sauce, mustard, and even pickle juice!! I am just very skeptical about the food industry. I am wary about the effects anything that does not come directly from the ground (FRESH fruits and vegetables), but is exposed to some sort of processing, will have on my body.
    I appreciate each and every one of you. I am so grateful for a community such as this one. I have many supportive friends and family, but, sometimes there are just questions I want to ask in confidence that I will receive a response void of any bias due to the gentle nature of personal relationships. (Does that make sense?)
    Any-poot. (:
    Thank you All, again. I do hope I am never a burden or pest. Enjoy the day!! (:
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Giant salad with scrambled eggs for the win. Followed by a GIANT bowl of berries (straw, black, blue + rasp) with a sprinkle of Quest salted caramel PP and a dash of warm water to get it syrupy. All filled up.

I've never done that, but that sounds like a great idea and delicious!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Giant salad with scrambled eggs for the win. Followed by a GIANT bowl of berries (straw, black, blue + rasp) with a sprinkle of Quest salted caramel PP and a dash of warm water to get it syrupy. All filled up.

I've never done that, but that sounds like a great idea and delicious!

Well I need to try this also.
  • redcase
    redcase Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Firm / block cottage cheese bake.... make it :) Pictures is 1/4 of the cake. Perfect evening coffee snack or break fast :)

Sounds great! I love cottage cheese.

• purplefizzy
    Options
    Firm / block cottage cheese bake.... make it :) Pictures is 1/4 of the cake. Perfect evening coffee snack or break fast :)

bc58wxe9virg.jpg

And THIS is why I love screenshots.
    CR, you have your own recipe folder in my pics.
  • charlotteddd
    charlotteddd Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Has anyone in western Canada found firm/ block cottage cheese at a chain grocery store?
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Has anyone in western Canada found firm/ block cottage cheese at a chain grocery store?

pressed-dry-cottage-cheese-05mf-800x450_pack.png?W=500
    [/quote]

55g55qke7y7h.png

I buy these at Walmart in Alberta
  • charlotteddd
    charlotteddd Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Perfect, thanks!
  • purplefizzy
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Dry cottage cheese recipe:

https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/recipe/cheese-recipes/dry-curd-cottage-cheese/

I'm super weird. I like to make it myself, even if only once (to prove to myself it isn't worth it, sometimes...)
  • marcvb35
    marcvb35 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    according to my food diary I have eaten 23.7 pounds of food this week and its only Friday afternoon. 3 meals left in the week. hopefully I loose a pound this week.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    marcvb35 wrote: »
    according to my food diary I have eaten 23.7 pounds of food this week and its only Friday afternoon. 3 meals left in the week. hopefully I loose a pound this week.

I eat 3-5lbs of produce a day..... raver says I am an novice... lol