Volume Eaters Thread

Options

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that lots of people each fruit. I had the understanding that fruit with the sugar was something that I wanted to stay away from. Any thoughts?

Uhh unless you have DM... fruit is good! Dont fall for guru/ pseudo scientific BS.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    @Chrismadison100

I ration my sugar and try to spend it on stuff that makes me happy and has other things I need in it.
    Apples are my favorite everyday fruit, heartier and more affordable than berries.
    So many competing theories by the ‘influencers’ and the Diet Docs - what most people forget is that we are all n=1.
    It’s an experiment in what works for YOU: meets your goals, is sustainable, suits your ethics and budget and skill set.
    Tracking helps us determine the result of ‘if I eat X, my weight/mood//health does X.’
    Some people opt not to eat fruit and are healthy, at ideal weight, and thriving.
    Same can be said for others who stay away from fructose.
    Yeah, it’s a sugar. It’s also, when in fruit, accompanied by fiber, micronutrients, antioxidants, other helpful stuff like pectin and resveratrol...

If you are into it, do the research. Read the studies. Go to nih.gov and get actual data. Decide for yourself. If you see a pop-up proclaiming ‘Doctors say eating Fruit is the worst thing you can do for your health!!!’ use some basic good judgement.

On the hierarchy of what to demonize, it’s sure a crappy choice.

I don’t mean to rant. Questions are important and a part of how we start to self educate. Just vet the sources when it comes to sweeping whole-category proclamations like ‘avoid fruit.’
  • psychod787
    Options
    I've noticed that lots of people each fruit. I had the understanding that fruit with the sugar was something that I wanted to stay away from. Any thoughts?

I wanted to add, that when the WHO states we need to lower our sugar intake they mean added sugars. Things like coke, candy, cookies. Fruit and veggies are not what they mean. Let take a look at 2 sources of sugar. First, a 12 oz can of coke. 120 cals. All from added sugar. Second, an apple med/ large apple. 80 cals. Most from sugar. Not much difference between natural sugar and high fructose with ratios of glucose and fructose, but the apple is nutrient dense.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    19krd2u5kyad.jpg
    So this is my breakfast. 1/3 of a cup oatmeal, 1 1/4 cups water, dash of salt, some fruit chopped in and Greek yogurt, plus cinnamon and pumpkin spice. I precook oats in instant pot for two servings, and it yields two cups of yummy stuff plus add ons. I use frozen mango, blueberries, and 1/4 of a banana. I find it filling and satisfying, spices and toppings could be adjusted to taste.
  • psychod787
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    icemom011 wrote: »
    So this is my breakfast. 1/3 of a cup oatmeal, 1 1/4 cups water, dash of salt, some fruit chopped in and Greek yogurt, plus cinnamon and pumpkin spice. I precook oats in instant pot for two servings, and it yields two cups of yummy stuff plus add ons. I use frozen mango, blueberries, and 1/4 of a banana. I find it filling and satisfying, spices and toppings could be adjusted to taste.

You and I and many others will have a very different idea of what volume means haha :)

We all dont have your stomach abilities. I am a volumish eater... lol
  • psychod787
    Options
    19krd2u5kyad.jpg

I have noticed that by adding a little xanthan gum to my oats, thickens them up nicely..
  • icemom011
    Options
    @crazyravr , are you poo-pooing my breakfast, lol? It's just a small meal to hold me over until lunch. I have a gallon size ziplock bag of raw veggies, plus fruit and protein to fill me up. It doesn't always, but in my head I know I've eaten enough. Gotta save my extra calories for "expensive" snacks, haha
  • icemom011
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    19krd2u5kyad.jpg

I have noticed that by adding a little xanthan gum to my oats, thickens them up nicely..

Nice! I find that fruit does a good job, and it's good for my ever present sweet tooth.
  • icemom011
    Options
    @crazyravr , are you poo-pooing my breakfast, lol? It's just a small meal to hold me over until lunch. I have a gallon size ziplock bag of raw veggies, plus fruit and protein to fill me up. It doesn't always, but in my head I know I've eaten enough. Gotta save my extra calories for "expensive" snacks, haha

Not at all, I eat this too. Actually Quakers apple cinnamon 3 days in a row now at work microwaved and adding some fruit after, but this is not a volume breakfast at all hehehe. Its a morning snack :)

I disagree. What makes it a volume is a fact that it takes about 3 tablespoons of oats and it produces a respectable 2 cup volume for a very small amount of calories. Reality is, yes, it's kind of a morning snack, but it's still better than two eggs and a toast that I'm having on Sundays lately, cause that feels like i didn't eat anything ;(
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options

I have added xanthan gum to protein "ice cream". It does make it creamier, but it also leaves a slick mouthfeel that I don't care for. Has anyone used guar gum or something else as a thickening agent? Do they all have that slick effect?

• psychod787
    Options

I have added xanthan gum to protein "ice cream". It does make it creamier, but it also leaves a slick mouthfeel that I don't care for. Has anyone used guar gum or something else as a thickening agent? Do they all have that slick effect?

I have used guar gum. Yup.. a little...
  • psychod787
    Options

Not at all, I eat this too. Actually Quakers apple cinnamon 3 days in a row now at work microwaved and adding some fruit after, but this is not a volume breakfast at all hehehe. Its a morning snack :)

Sorry so off topic, but I looked at your diary to see what kind of volume you eat and had to ask are you cutting currently? You seem to eat so little for a male! 1500-1700?

I don't think he logs here. Just uses the forums ma'am
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options

I found guar gum makes it extremely gloppy...and I find it really makes it 'gluey'(I use in my ice 'cream' fluff too. I use Xanthan and like it though....maybe use extra flavoring?
  • psychod787
    Options

Sorry so off topic, but I looked at your diary to see what kind of volume you eat and had to ask are you cutting currently? You seem to eat so little for a male! 1500-1700?

Yes. Cutting at the moment.
    Also, I am not tracking everything that I eat, not even close. As long as I am accomplishing what I intend to do at the moment, lose weight but retain the strength, I am a happy happy boy :) and dont want to track.
    I am pretty sure right now I consume about 2000cal daily. Dont look at the calories burned, my garmin watch is garbage when it comes to lifting and tracking. I only use it for time :)

I don't think he logs here. Just uses the forums ma'am

No no. I log. Not very accurate but I do :)

Too bad we cant perma bulk anymore!😅
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Bumppppp.
    Where are my volumetric peeps?
    I rely on this thread for inspiration.

I’m still on an ‘experiments with gelatin’ kick- working on perfecting my monksweet/stevia sweetened marshmallows - aka ‘collagen bites.’

Also digging the filling from ‘Raver’s ‘WZ cake’ as a protein pudding whip thing.
    Whipped cottage cheese (sweetener of choice, flavors) plus gelatin, whipped to insane billow-y mousse texture, then chilled & topped with cacao nibs Or coconut shreds or.....
    Protein-volume-extravaganza!!

Cmmon ya’ll- whatchu filling your bellies with?
    Help me prevent ‘couch spread’ until I’m cleared for activity again!
  • psychod787
    Options
    Bumppppp.

I’m still on an ‘experiments with gelatin’ kick- working on perfecting my monksweet/stevia sweetened marshmallows - aka ‘collagen bites.’

Also digging the filling from ‘Raver’s ‘WZ cake’ as a protein pudding whip thing.
    Whipped cottage cheese (sweetener of choice, flavors) plus gelatin, whipped to insane billow-y mousse texture, then chilled & topped with cacao nibs Or coconut shreds or.....

I am currently layed out with a slipped disk. Sucks big time. Had to cancel my vacation because of this BS.

HTF did you slip a disk?
  • geiznekcm
    geiznekcm Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Good day, All!! I pray you All are fantastic.
    Can you All offer me some perspective on my way of eating....?
    ****Before I begin another long inquiry, I need to emphasize that this will be a lengthy post -- please pardon my lack of concision. And know that I do not intend to nag nor overwhelm -- Ever!! Moreover, I appreciate any genuine, sincere responses. Thank you.****
    I am hesitant to even type all of this, because I don't intend to seem anal, or inferior about things. In addition, I realize how much the following "full day of eating" is in volume --- realistically, it is an outrageous amount of food! That is one reason why I am wary about exceeding my body's caloric needs (basal, minimal activity. Goal is fat loss, or weight maintenance). Despite consuming an abundance of lower-calorie foods, all the calories add up ---- especially in these portions.
    Anyway, here is my outrageous amount of food for today:
    • 1 cup of liquid egg whites
    • 1 scoop of Vital Proteins beef gelatin
    • 6 ounces of blueberries (entire container..)
    • 10 cups cubed watermelon (yes, 9+1 whole cups..)
    • 1 large honeycrisp apple
    • grapes (I-don't-know-how-many amount. That's how many.)

Again, please forgive me for not being brief, and for pestering y'All with such a goofy concern. I admit I am embarrassed --- about absolutely every thing to do with my inquiry.

Thank you, again. God bless this community.

I have incredible respect for you if you've reached the end of this in one go.
  • geiznekcm
    geiznekcm Posts: 1,357 Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Bumppppp.

I am currently layed out with a slipped disk. Sucks big time. Had to cancel my vacation because of this BS.

HTF did you slip a disk?

Because I was being a complete moron going for a max-1 rep dead lift and tried to hold a slipping bar. Again, completely my fault.

Wow, I am so sorry to hear this.....
    I pray that you recover speedily -- and if not speedily, well and fully -- when the time is right. Be of good cheer!! And thank you for all of your inspiring, helpful posts. (: