Volume Eaters Thread

19192949697108

Replies

  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Yes to squashes! Love them roasted
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 12,234 Member
    7wxbdwm2wyi0.jpg
    1g08ifqxupx4.jpg

    Once it's been 'cooked' in water/broth one sphere expands to this mound. Only 60 calories. I've been using it in soups/stir fries.
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    @PAPYRUS3 From the top pic, I thought it was a pile of freshly shaved cheese, like Parmesan. But it's...dried fungus? I is disappoint.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,469 Member
    @PAPYRUS3
    I’m excited. I love mushrooms, but can’t get excited about rice or pasta. Where can I find this stuff? (I’ll google it) and what can I substitute it for in recipes?
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 12,234 Member
    @PAPYRUS3
    I’m excited. I love mushrooms, but can’t get excited about rice or pasta. Where can I find this stuff? (I’ll google it) and what can I substitute it for in recipes?

    I've found it in my local Asian supermarket - You will find them - or another brand I'm sure. I guess you'll have to play around with how you like to consume them. Maybe one could use for 'pasta'?
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 12,234 Member
    @PAPYRUS3 From the top pic, I thought it was a pile of freshly shaved cheese, like Parmesan. But it's...dried fungus? I is disappoint.

    Wouldn't that be a dream...all for 60 calories ;)
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 12,234 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

    Once it's been 'cooked' in water/broth one sphere expands to this mound. Only 60 calories. I've been using it in soups/stir fries.

    Taste? Smell?
    Might hit up T&T and look for them. Could be good stuff to bulk up any meal really.

    Tastes like 'nothing' - no flavor or smell. Kind of slippery - good for, like you mentioned, bulking up meals. 60 calories yields around 3 net carbs and 3 grams of protein. Not expensive. I think I got this bag (4 in total) for just over $4. I did in fact find them - and quite a few other brands - at T & T.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    @Noreenmarie1234, was it you that had a recipe for oatmeal using xanthan gum to volumize it? (Or anyone else who can help)...
    I'm on an oatmeal kick as a warm snack at night now that it's getting colder out. I use 78g at a time and it's a good amount.. but I'd like to see what I can do to make it seem like more.
    (I know I could just experiment, but I was hoping to get some insight from someone who has done it).
    TIA!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,469 Member
    Went to the Chinese grocery yesterday, couldn’t find snow fungus, but got some other dried mushrooms, so I’m ready to start experimenting.
    Always wondered what a meat pie really was. Got one. Now I know.
    Got veggies and rice at their deli for lunch. So good!!!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,380 Member
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    @Noreenmarie1234, was it you that had a recipe for oatmeal using xanthan gum to volumize it? (Or anyone else who can help)...
    I'm on an oatmeal kick as a warm snack at night now that it's getting colder out. I use 78g at a time and it's a good amount.. but I'd like to see what I can do to make it seem like more.
    (I know I could just experiment, but I was hoping to get some insight from someone who has done it).
    TIA!

    Yes! https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/43211921#Comment_43211921

    I used 100 calories in these photos, but it made a huge bowl. Wow, you only use 78g? I guess using the volume technique you can use 50 cal of oatmeal to make a "normal" size bowl LOL.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Yeah, the 78g is 293 calories for just the oats.
    So, are you just adding extra liquid and cooking it more? And then adding the xanthan gum? How many grams of oats are in the packets you used? And how much liquid were you adding?
    Thanks again.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,380 Member
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Yeah, the 78g is 293 calories for just the oats.
    So, are you just adding extra liquid and cooking it more? And then adding the xanthan gum? How many grams of oats are in the packets you used? And how much liquid were you adding?
    Thanks again.

    I use 100 calories of oatmeal (28g), cook with about 1c water for like 2 minutes, add xanthum gum and stir, add another cup of water and cook 2-4 minutes(if it starts to boil over I just stop it before it explodes and cool before microwaving again).

    Then let it cool more in the freezer, microwave again 2 minutes, cool in freezer, stir a lot and then slowly add another cup or so while microwaving another minute every time I add more water. (I also add like 2tbsp truvia and 2tbsp sugar free syrup)
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Yeah, the 78g is 293 calories for just the oats.
    So, are you just adding extra liquid and cooking it more? And then adding the xanthan gum? How many grams of oats are in the packets you used? And how much liquid were you adding?
    Thanks again.

    I use 100 calories of oatmeal (28g), cook with about 1c water for like 2 minutes, add xanthum gum and stir, add another cup of water and cook 2-4 minutes(if it starts to boil over I just stop it before it explodes and cool before microwaving again).

    Then let it cool more in the freezer, microwave again 2 minutes, cool in freezer, stir a lot and then slowly add another cup or so while microwaving another minute every time I add more water. (I also add like 2tbsp truvia and 2tbsp sugar free syrup)

    Awesome, thanks!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,380 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Yeah, the 78g is 293 calories for just the oats.
    So, are you just adding extra liquid and cooking it more? And then adding the xanthan gum? How many grams of oats are in the packets you used? And how much liquid were you adding?
    Thanks again.

    I use 100 calories of oatmeal (28g), cook with about 1c water for like 2 minutes, add xanthum gum and stir, add another cup of water and cook 2-4 minutes(if it starts to boil over I just stop it before it explodes and cool before microwaving again).

    Then let it cool more in the freezer, microwave again 2 minutes, cool in freezer, stir a lot and then slowly add another cup or so while microwaving another minute every time I add more water. (I also add like 2tbsp truvia and 2tbsp sugar free syrup)

    Awesome, thanks!

    If you make this, could you please post the bowl after step 1 and then final product? I will try this tonight as well and compare the results because I am having hard time imagining how this is a huge bowl of oatmeal (also commented in the old thread linked to above).

    I think the better thing would be to post the photo with the amount of water you are "suppose" to add to 28g which is 2/3c and then compare to final amount.

    2-3c of oatmeal for 100 cal vs 2/3c using the amount you are "suppose" to mix is definitely a huge difference!
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,469 Member
    I make volume oatmeal, but no xantham gum. I use 50 or so grams of oatmeal, add about 1 cup of water, microwave 3 minutes on low, stir, add another cup or so of water, microwave on high til all hot and soupy. Make it in a serving bowl.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,380 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I make volume oatmeal, but no xantham gum. I use 50 or so grams of oatmeal, add about 1 cup of water, microwave 3 minutes on low, stir, add another cup or so of water, microwave on high til all hot and soupy. Make it in a serving bowl.

    Well thats easy but I for one would not want to eat this. Oatmeal for me should be nice and thick.

    Ahhh yes that makes sense then. I don't like my oatmeal thick.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,060 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    I make volume oatmeal, but no xantham gum. I use 50 or so grams of oatmeal, add about 1 cup of water, microwave 3 minutes on low, stir, add another cup or so of water, microwave on high til all hot and soupy. Make it in a serving bowl.

    Well thats easy but I for one would not want to eat this. Oatmeal for me should be nice and thick.

    Ahhh yes that makes sense then. I don't like my oatmeal thick.

    What if you let it rest like normal sized oatmeal? Would it thicken up then? I like the idea but not the way too many steps version. :p
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Yeah, the 78g is 293 calories for just the oats.
    So, are you just adding extra liquid and cooking it more? And then adding the xanthan gum? How many grams of oats are in the packets you used? And how much liquid were you adding?
    Thanks again.

    I use 100 calories of oatmeal (28g), cook with about 1c water for like 2 minutes, add xanthum gum and stir, add another cup of water and cook 2-4 minutes(if it starts to boil over I just stop it before it explodes and cool before microwaving again).

    Then let it cool more in the freezer, microwave again 2 minutes, cool in freezer, stir a lot and then slowly add another cup or so while microwaving another minute every time I add more water. (I also add like 2tbsp truvia and 2tbsp sugar free syrup)

    Awesome, thanks!

    If you make this, could you please post the bowl after step 1 and then final product? I will try this tonight as well and compare the results because I am having hard time imagining how this is a huge bowl of oatmeal (also commented in the old thread linked to above).

    I think the better thing would be to post the photo with the amount of water you are "suppose" to add to 28g which is 2/3c and then compare to final amount.

    2-3c of oatmeal for 100 cal vs 2/3c using the amount you are "suppose" to mix is definitely a huge difference!

    Yeah, Chocolate covered Katie has a similar way of expanding her oats by adding extra water. https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2009/07/03/kozyshack-oatmeal-pudding/

  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,060 Member
    Here's Hungrygirl's version:

    HG's Microwave Growing Oatmeal
    Entire recipe: 189 calories, 5g fat, 335mg sodium, 30.5g carbs, 5g fiber, 1g sugars, 6.5g protein -- PointsPlus® value 5*

    Ingredients:
    1/2 cup old-fashioned oats (NOT instant)
    1 no-calorie sweetener packet (like Splenda or Truvia)
    1/4 tsp. cinnamon
    1/8 tsp. vanilla extract
    Dash salt
    1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze

    Directions:
    Combine ingredients in a VERY large microwave-safe bowl (at least 10-cup capacity -- your oatmeal will bubble up while it cooks!). Mix in 1 cup water. Microwave for 12 - 15 minutes, until thick and creamy, stirring halfway through.

    Let slightly cool and thicken. Enjoy!

    MAKES 1 SERVING

    The oatmeal still cooks for a long time in the microwave, but you don't need to wait for it to boil or stir it as often. Amazing! You can use this method with any HG growing oatmeal recipe. Just don't forget to use a giant bowl. Happy breakfast-ing!