That's poor form

Options
MrStabbems
MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
I was talking to someone today who told me that sharing the fact that you've done a good deed is poor form. That essentially you shouldn't do it, it's bragging, it's narcissistic.

Well *kitten* that. I mowed my neighbours lawn today because they're busy with 3 kids and I was doing mine so hell why not? Does it feel good? Yes. Am I showing off my good deed? Sure.

Some people are inspired by good deeds, some get ideas from other peeps good deeds, some folks just think hey should do that as well. Ultimately more good *kitten* gets done and if you're one of those folks that can see the negative in a good deed, well *kitten* you *kitten*!

So what good deeds have you done? past and present. Let's hear em, brag all you want!

Replies

• MrStabbems
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    Whatever, narcissist

giphy.gif
  • MrStabbems
    edited June 2017
    Options
    hauled away some junk for this old guy who lives in my building the other day.

This something I can do, maybe on a smaller scale when taking out the bins for collection. I don't always take my elderly neighbours but probably should!
    I leave sticky notes in library books, like bad jokes or just "have a good day".

:open_mouth: You vandal!
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    hauled away some junk for this old guy who lives in my building the other day.

Nah, not good enough.

Next!
  • MrStabbems
    Options
    I feel like a true act of kindness doesn't NEED to be shared. If you do something for the sole purpose that you can go tell other people you did it then it isn't for the right reasons. I suppose you still did something good for another person, but it sure wasn't selfless.
    If you are using your good deed to set an example for someone else then that may be different. Just seems like people should want to do good things just for the sake of doing good things.

Also, I really hoped this thread was about someone quarter squatting. Way to disappoint, A

That's what the videos were for L!

Also I agree to some extent, no you shouldn't do stuff just to brag about it and mowing a lawn isn't inspirational but im hoping some of the other stuff just gives ppl that second thought. maybe I should do xyz.

Can't be a bad thing right?
  • MrStabbems
    Options
    I disagree with the concept that sharing is bad form. Blasting it on FB every time you do a good deed? Okay, that's a little much. But bringing it up in conversation with friends or S.O. is fine. You're right, it does make you feel good!

Recently I was in Wawa and the kids in front of me had some food/drinks and when they went to pay they didn't have enough so they took off a Coke and a yogurt. They looked disappointed and when they went to walk away I was like, "Hey! Let me get that for you!" They looked so shy and said thank you, but you could tell they appreciated it.

I hear about this quite a lot. folks paying for other peeps dinners at restaurants etc when they see its a birthday or celebration/proposal etc is another one. I like it and would do It more if I was allowed out after curfew
  • MrStabbems
    Options
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    I feel like a true act of kindness doesn't NEED to be shared. If you do something for the sole purpose that you can go tell other people you did it then it isn't for the right reasons. I suppose you still did something good for another person, but it sure wasn't selfless.
    If you are using your good deed to set an example for someone else then that may be different. Just seems like people should want to do good things just for the sake of doing good things.

Also, I really hoped this thread was about someone quarter squatting. Way to disappoint, A

Also I agree to some extent, no you shouldn't do stuff just to brag about it and mowing a lawn isn't inspirational but im hoping some of the other stuff just gives ppl that second thought. maybe I should do xyz.

I get your point. I feel like if I give examples I am being the person I am fighting against, but I will say this..... I do good deeds on the regular. IF it came up in conversation and was relevant to something maybe I would say it. Here is my bigger point though..... Doing a good deed should be as common as tying your shoes, brushing your teeth, eating your lunch, breathing! Do you go tell people that you decided to take a breath today?
    Unfortunately this is not the kind of world we live in. People don't do good as often as they should. It should be second nature and it sadly is not.

We can only do our best to change this L! and raise the little L's and A's to do the same.
  • MrStabbems
    Options
    A few weeks back i took the fall for a mistake at work because the lady that made it was under a lot.of pressure from bosses. It may or may not have been the right thing to do in the long run but it felt right at the time. I did ask that she doesn't make the mistake again mind!

I get your point. I feel like if I give examples I am being the person I am fighting against, but I will say this..... I do good deeds on the regular. IF it came up in conversation and was relevant to something maybe I would say it. Here is my bigger point though..... Doing a good deed should be as common as tying your shoes, brushing your teeth, eating your lunch, breathing! Do you go tell people that you decided to take a breath today?
    Unfortunately this is not the kind of world we live in. People don't do good as often as they should. It should be second nature and it sadly is not.

We can only do our best to change this L! and raise the little L's and A's to do the same.

Which is where I would suggest to lead by example and let them see you do it, but you have already mentioned that you don't agree with this theory when raising kids.

remind me what I said? I cant remember for the life of me!

• MrStabbems
    Options
    A few weeks back i took the fall for a mistake at work because the lady that made it was under a lot.of pressure from bosses. It may or may not have been the right thing to do in the long run but it felt right at the time. I did ask that she doesn't make the mistake again mind!

Which is where I would suggest to lead by example and let them see you do it, but you have already mentioned that you don't agree with this theory when raising kids.

remind me what I said? I cant remember for the life of me!

Oh hell are you going to make me search through all this nonsense to find it?
    I mentioned that a lot of us wouldn't want our family or kids or bosses knowing what we said or did here or other places in life and that I don't always do a great job of leading by example and you said that a parent shouldn't have to. That is paraphrasing a lot.

I vaguely remember this. I do agree that parents shouldn't have to lead by example because the kid should be their own individual and have their own values but when they're young and you're teaching them the basics it would be useful to lead by example if you can. But not have them bound by it.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    well shoot. This makes me feel like I need to go out and do some do-gooding.