That's poor form

Options

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,507 Member
    Options

I'm always looking to help out a stranger or do a random good deed.

..... well, that is, if there's something in it for me.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I think it's equally noticeable when "good deeds" are more of an inconvenience. Like when you hold the door for someone who is way too far away and they have to do a little trot so you're not just standing there. Or when you get caught up in dreadful "pay it forward" shenanigans at the starbucks drive-thru when you've only ordered a tall house coffee, but the car behind you ordered 4 dessert drinks and breakfast.
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    captbklee wrote: »
    I think it's equally noticeable when "good deeds" are more of an inconvenience. Like when you hold the door for someone who is way too far away and they have to do a little trot so you're not just standing there. Or when you get caught up in dreadful "pay it forward" shenanigans at the starbucks drive-thru when you've only ordered a tall house coffee, but the car behind you ordered 4 dessert drinks and breakfast.

whats the concept of "pay it forward"? i see it mentioned in a thread the other day
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    MrStabbems wrote: »

whats the concept of "pay it forward"? i see it mentioned in a thread the other day

it just means one good deed leads to another....

• LtGladden
    LtGladden Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Actually I kind of agree with the other person. I've always thought that in order to be truly altruistic that you should get no joy out of your sacrifice. That includes a pat on the back and even the warm fuzzy feeling.

That's true, but is it really that important to be "truly altruistic?" Can't it be enough to be helpful and kind?
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I once paid for a lady's cheese at the dollar store. She was two people ahead of me in line and was trying to buy a pack of cheese slices. Apparently she didn't have enough money. She left the cheese on the counter and went back to her car to look for more change. When it way my turn to check out, I bought her cheese for her.

Nope.

Next!!!
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go to the grocery store, if I see a family looking for help I buy a couple bags of groceries for them. I'll even include cookies if there are kids. If the family is gone by the time I get back outside, I donate the groceries to a local food pantry.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    MrStabbems wrote: »

A spin on paying it back. You do something nice for someone else instead of the person who did it for you. Decent movie, as well.
    LtGladden wrote: »
    Actually I kind of agree with the other person. I've always thought that in order to be truly altruistic that you should get no joy out of your sacrifice. That includes a pat on the back and even the warm fuzzy feeling.

That's true, but is it really that important to be "truly altruistic?" Can't it be enough to be helpful and kind?

Good point. I'm probably just an idealist by wishing that doing kind things are purely for the benefit of the recipient.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I just made sure to walk outside to pass gas instead of making everyone in the office suffer.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    I'm always looking to help out a stranger or do a random good deed.

..... well, that is, if there's something in it for me.

This, ladies and gentlemen, THIS is how its done.
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It's your good deed. No one helped you push the mower, so it's up to you if you want to share that you did or not.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    It's your good deed. No one helped you push the mower, so it's up to you if you want to share that you did or not.

It was self-propelled.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    I told this ugly person they looked good.
    Only kicked my dog once, and it wasn't as hard as usual.
    Let that one idiot who wanted to cut in front of me and drive like a azz in, so I could ride up and almost hit him.

Ya know, philanthropic stuff like that.

:'(:'( So you really didn't mean it when you told me I looked good and you don't have to call me a dog, I was impressed that you only kicked me once and not as hard as normal, this morning.
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    Good deed of the day? Well, I haven't punched not even one person yet
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options

It was self-propelled.

It was actually two good deeds as I was sweating lots so technically watering their lawn too.
  • akoivisto
    akoivisto Posts: 141 Member
    Options

It was self-propelled.

But was it self-guided? I heard the new Yardmaster ''Cruise" is a real killer.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    @pudgy1977 wrote: »

Let me push you over the edge
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »

don't worry; the day is young