That's poor form

Options

Replies

• rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Why in the world would it be wrong to find joy in helping others? I love the feeling I get when I help someone out. I can understand that you shouldn't brag about and tell people how awesome you are because you did it, but feeling good for helping someone? That's what life is all about, or at least should be! If you read what the OP did and you do something nice because of it, and maybe it keeps getting paid forward, that's fabulous! Yes, it's good to be humble, but the OP is saying it made him feel good, not that he's an awesome dude because of it.

I say good job, OP. We need way more of this in the world! :)
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the last good deed I did.
    Today, I came across a gorgeous garden and introduced my self to the lady gardening. She welcomed me into take a look and then gave me a ton of plants!! She made my day, week, spring! Oh and she gave me hummus too. She was pretty amazing person and I hope I can pass down those plants to another interested party one day.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    i stopped giving money to homeless people

When asked by panhandlers for spare change, I always reply :

"Ya got change for a twenty? "

I'm using that!
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    captbklee wrote: »
    Actually I kind of agree with the other person. I've always thought that in order to be truly altruistic that you should get no joy out of your sacrifice. That includes a pat on the back and even the warm fuzzy feeling.

Oh please. If we hated doing nice things for other people, we wouldn't do them. And why the heck shouldn't a person enjoy doing something for someone? Giving of ourselves to others is very rewarding, and there is no shame in that at all. For example, my job is to help people with disabilities get back to work. Am I a bad person because I get super excited when they get a job offer? No. I am a compassionate human being that not only enjoys helping others, but also gets joy from their success.

And let's be honest...we ALL need a few more nice people in our lives.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    Did y'all know it was National Chocolate Ice Cream Day?

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    i stopped giving money to homeless people

When asked by panhandlers for spare change, I always reply :

"Ya got change for a twenty? "

I'm using that!

I actually stole it from a friend.

The first time I heard it and saw the look on the panhandler's face I almost fell down laughing.

It also helped that my friend was a former Michigan tight end and was twice as big as the panhandler.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    Did y'all know it was National Chocolate Ice Cream Day?

Also National Running Day

Coincidence? I think not. Run then ice cream. Equals out.
  • jilleebee77
    jilleebee77 Posts: 329 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I paid for a police officer's coffees in the drive thru line behind me.
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    I found out last week that my neighbors daughter barely eats at home because her mom doesn't feed her. This broke my heart on so many levels. Since finding this out, I've made sure I always offer her food when she comes over. I always make sure she goes home full.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    sw33tp3a1 wrote: »
    I found out last week that my neighbors daughter barely eats at home because her mom doesn't feed her. This broke my heart on so many levels. Since finding this out, I've made sure I always offer her food when she comes over. I always make sure she goes home full.

That is heartbreaking. One of my son's friends is in a similar situation and their living conditions aren't the best. I offer to let him stay with us often and he does.. like 3-4 nights per week. Every night he tells me how good dinner is. I am sure because he isn't use to having "real" food or much of it.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options

That is heartbreaking. One of my son's friends is in a similar situation and their living conditions aren't the best. I offer to let him stay with us often and he does.. like 3-4 nights per week. Every night he tells me how good dinner is. I am sure because he isn't use to having "real" food or much of it.

Both of you are doing a good thing.

@OutOfUserName could learn from you. He's only willing to buy me a few beers.
  • captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    I once paid for a lady's cheese at the dollar store. She was two people ahead of me in line and was trying to buy a pack of cheese slices. Apparently she didn't have enough money. She left the cheese on the counter and went back to her car to look for more change. When it way my turn to check out, I bought her cheese for her.

Did you keep the cheese?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    The McDonald's line in the morning was long and slow that an older gentleman complained and went to join his party of (obviously retired dudes having a morning get together) I was just as frustrated so I walked to the Tim Horton's (this is in a Walmart so the walk was literally 30 seconds) and I grabbed 2 coffees; mine and one for him. I went over to give him a coffee and while it wasn't a heroic gesture or anything I'm sure his day was a lot better than it was when he was frustrated about the line lol
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    @Vikka_V wrote: »
    I drove an old lady who doesn't understand or speak English (I am not a stranger to her) and her cat home so she didn't have to walk in the rain with a cat.

Should have left the cat behind

Boo...cats rule!
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options

Both of you. You're Amazing.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I once gave my husband sexy time without him asking!!!!!! And no, it wasn't his birthday.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I once gave my husband sexy time without him asking!!!!!! And no, it wasn't his birthday.

jokes on him you needed to get off

So doing for selfish reasons don't count?
    Okay then. I got nothing else
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    Options
    i saw a video way back on a lion protecting a wounded fox from the other lions

Did he eat the fox after the others left?
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I once paid for a lady's cheese at the dollar store. She was two people ahead of me in line and was trying to buy a pack of cheese slices. Apparently she didn't have enough money. She left the cheese on the counter and went back to her car to look for more change. When it way my turn to check out, I bought her cheese for her.

Did you keep the cheese?

No, I gave it to the lady.