Is a hotdog a sandwich?

Options

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    A hot dog in a bun is a sandwich.

I think the main problem people have with calling a hot dog a sandwich is the incompleteness of the bun's slice. In my opinion, that's irrelevant.

Not many people would argue that a sub sandwich isn't a sandwich despite its connective hinge of bread on one side. Also common is a sandwich in pita--also one piece of bread. What they have in common is that a layer of bread exists on both of the larger sides of the sandwich, with only a tiny fold on the other sides, and at least one open end. A hot dog also shares these traits.

Things that aren't sandwiches:
    * Pizza and the open-faced "sandwich", which have toppings on a single surface
    * Pies, wraps, and burritos, which contain their fillings on all sides.

So are you saying a burrito is a pie?

No, I'm saying that pies, wraps, and burritos contain their fillings on all sides.

Which would mean a burrito is a pie!

4fuq0ciiq14c.gif
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    A tortilla is just a pancake so if I make a pancake sandwich wouldn't I have a taco?

Only if you add ice cream.
  • cee134
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    A tortilla is just a pancake so if I make a pancake sandwich wouldn't I have a taco?

Only if you add ice cream.

I have a new goal in life.

di23xc4ndvpt.jpg
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    A hot dog in a bun is a sandwich.

I think the main problem people have with calling a hot dog a sandwich is the incompleteness of the bun's slice. In my opinion, that's irrelevant.

Not many people would argue that a sub sandwich isn't a sandwich despite its connective hinge of bread on one side. Also common is a sandwich in pita--also one piece of bread. What they have in common is that a layer of bread exists on both of the larger sides of the sandwich, with only a tiny fold on the other sides, and at least one open end. A hot dog also shares these traits.

Things that aren't sandwiches:
    * Pizza and the open-faced "sandwich", which have toppings on a single surface
    * Pies, wraps, and burritos, which contain their fillings on all sides.

So are you saying a burrito is a pie?

No, I'm saying that pies, wraps, and burritos contain their fillings on all sides.

Which would mean a burrito is a pie!
    I don't follow that leap. I'm saying that pies, and burritos, and wraps have a similar trait, but they are different in other ways. You might be able to convince me that burritos are a subset of wrap, though.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Looking for images of hot-dog sandwiches (sliced dogs on square bread) to provide the definitive answer to this question for the ages, I came across this...

a3molygadyyl.jpg

... and now I am plagued by a swarm of doubt so powerful as to render me perplexed -- nay, paralyzed -- for the rest of the day. I shall retire to my sensory deprivation chamber until I can come to grips with this new and terrifying reality I have stumbled into.
  • JewelsAU
    JewelsAU Posts: 52 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    When you win something you say "HOT DOG", not "SANDWICH". HOT DOG CONTESTS would not be called SANDWICH CONTESTS.
  • cee134
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    Sandwich is debatable.... I would never call it that, but I wouldn't argue it to a huge degree either. Much like a hamburger isn't a sandwich to me either. On a restaurant menu you usually see categories and I have never seen a burger or a hot dog under the sandwich section. They have their own sections.
    A hot dog is definitely NOT a taco. If I see someone say they are having Taco Tuesday and are gnawing on a hot dog I will slap that *kitten* out of their hand so fast they can't figure out what just happened

A taco doesn't come with bread, but instead a tortilla, which is a form of bread. And then there's the filling, which is technically sandwiched between corn or flour tortilla. So couldn't Taco Tuesday include Hot Dog Tacos and Burrito Pies?
  • thewindandthework
    Options
    TBH despite my otherwise strong opinions in this matter, I can't figure out the taco. I don't consider it a sandwich but I'm not entirely sure why. I think it's because of the tortilla, but a tortilla is definitely a type of bread, so I'm not sure why I see a distinction there.
  • thewindandthework
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Mexican-Taco-Salsa-Hot-Dog_14.jpg
  • cee134
    Options

I would eat that.
  • thewindandthework
    Options
    I couldn't find a picture of what I imagined a burrito pie would be. Like a regular meat pie but with traditional burrito fillings.

I sort of want to make one now.
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    I don't care either way, I just think they're delicious.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

I would eat that.

Yeah... there's nothing quite like sliding a hot dog into a taco, huh?
  • thewindandthework
    Options
    A pie burrito, on the other hand, would have sweet pie filling wrapped burrito-style in pastry and baked. That would be amazing.
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options

Yeah, I prefer that it's not crunchy when that happens though. Still it would be preferable to this scenario.

i5aq0dlgcs5q.jpg
  • thewindandthework
    Options
    Like. I can cook and my roommate can bake. I think we should team up and have burrito pie for dinner and pie burritos for dessert.
  • cee134
    Options
    Like. I can cook and my roommate can bake. I think we should team up and have burrito pie for dinner and pie burritos for dessert.

I will need pictures.
  • cee134
    Options

I would eat that.

Thank you for saying this so I didn't have to.

A hot dog is still not a taco. The definition of taco is not the same as a sandwich. You may be able to consider a taco a sandwich (shudders) but you can not consider a hot dog a taco.

But a taco is just meat wrapped in a flour bread (or corn but flour for this case). Isn't a hot dog the same thing, meat wrapped in a flour bread?
  • cee134
    Options
    I am arguing myself in circles in my head. My brain hurts and I want a taco. Preferably a taco followed by a chocotaco

This is a good article that supports my claims of why a hotdog is a taco.
    Basically, tacos exist to shove a bunch of food in your mouth without getting your hands very dirty. It’s the world’s only utensilless meal. Both tacos and the hot dog serve this purpose.

http://verysmart.com/whats-more-of-a-taco-a-sandwich-or-a-hot-dog/