Is a hotdog a sandwich?

Options

Replies

• SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I have to lol at the pop-tart sandwich anarchy...

That would probably make a great user name..."PopTartSandwichAnarchist".

You just need two pop tarts, a fried egg, some butter...and 4 slices of bacon and you're good to go lololol.

Throw in a fried chocolate donut and you could sell it for $10 at the state fair.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    A taco is NOT defined by the hard shell, but it is defined by a tortilla. "Meat wrapped in carbs" is just way too broad a definition.

I think the hot dog is still a sandwich, it just happens to be most effectively eaten on its side.

Interesting: isn't a tortilla a thin, flat pancake of cornmeal or flour? Can't a sandwich also be made with thin flat flour pancakes (Or bread slices)?
  • WayTooHonest
    WayTooHonest Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Dammit now I'm hungry.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    A taco is NOT defined by the hard shell, but it is defined by a tortilla. "Meat wrapped in carbs" is just way too broad a definition.

I think the hot dog is still a sandwich, it just happens to be most effectively eaten on its side.

Interesting: isn't a tortilla a thin, flat pancake of cornmeal or flour? Can't a sandwich also be made with thin flat flour pancakes (Or bread slices)?

I've never in my entire life heard a tortilla called a pancake. LOL!

Mad props to you for creativity, but I think I'll say this - a tortilla is made on a skillet or something similar. Bread, sandwich buns, etc., are baked. I don't know if that's the absolute bottom-line distinction, but I'm sticking with it.

I'll say this. If you put cheese and meat in between two tortillas, you have yourself a quesadilla. Not a sandwich.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    But is it a sandwich?

no, it's a hot dog

analogy:

is this a car ?

half-ton-truck-1.jpg

No.

It has tires and a steering wheel just like a car and drives on the same roads as a car, but it ain't a car....

But it's an automobile. A car is an automobile. So it is a car. You don't call them truck-cars where you live?

So you call pick-up trucks, cars?

c'mon now, nobody does that.

• Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I kind of want a hot dog now.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »

Good Morning!
  • JeepHair77
    Options

Our ballpark actually posts calories on its menu board, and supposably (did they GO to the zoo?) the hot dog is like, 400 calories. Totally do-able. And 100% worth it.

I'm going to a game tomorrow. I believe I'll have a hot dog.
  • cee134
    Options

Our ballpark actually posts calories on its menu board, and supposably (did they GO to the zoo?) the hot dog is like, 400 calories. Totally do-able. And 100% worth it.

Ask for a Hot Dog Sandwich, for science.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Good Morning!

Well it's almost lunch time here but yes, technically, it's still morning. I'm hungry.
  • JeepHair77
    Options

Ask for a Hot Dog Sandwich, for science.

I will totally do this and report back.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    A hot dog is gross. That's what it is. Gross.

Also, I think a hot dog is technically a bunwich.

I can live with this.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Is a pita pocket a type of taco? Why wouldn't a hotdog be a kind of taco? It's meat wrapped in carbs.

I would argue that a taco, by definition, uses a tortilla.
  • JewelsAU
    JewelsAU Posts: 52 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Cannot limit a hotdogs significance by saying it's 'just a sandwich' .. so not its not a sandwich or a sammich either..
  • cee134
    Options
    A tortilla is just a pancake so if I make a pancake sandwich wouldn't I have a taco?
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    A hot dog in a bun is a sandwich.

I think the main problem people have with calling a hot dog a sandwich is the incompleteness of the bun's slice. In my opinion, that's irrelevant.

Not many people would argue that a sub sandwich isn't a sandwich despite its connective hinge of bread on one side. Also common is a sandwich in pita--also one piece of bread. What they have in common is that a layer of bread exists on both of the larger sides of the sandwich, with only a tiny fold on the other sides, and at least one open end. A hot dog also shares these traits.

Things that aren't sandwiches:
    * Pizza and the open-faced "sandwich", which have toppings on a single surface
    * Pies, wraps, and burritos, which contain their fillings on all sides.
  • cee134
    Options

I think the main problem people have with calling a hot dog a sandwich is the incompleteness of the bun's slice. In my opinion, that's irrelevant.

Not many people would argue that a sub sandwich isn't a sandwich despite its connective hinge of bread on one side. Also common is a sandwich in pita--also one piece of bread. What they have in common is that a layer of bread exists on both of the larger sides of the sandwich, with only a tiny fold on the other sides, and at least one open end. A hot dog also shares these traits.

So are you saying a burrito is a pie?
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

So are you saying a burrito is a pie?

No, I'm saying that pies, wraps, and burritos contain their fillings on all sides. Some pies and wraps have an open side, but I don't consider them sandwiches, either, for separate reasons.

The pie with no top crust isn't a sandwich because the open side is one of the two big sides; the wrap isn't a sandwich because it doesn't have two clear sides at all.