Is a hotdog a sandwich?

Options
cee134
cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
Is a hotdog a sandwich or is it a type of taco? If a hotdog is neither than what is it?

y3t3258fi9ra.jpg

Replies

• cee134
    Options
    But is it a sandwich?
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I think a hot dog is it's own category.. so it's just a hot dog. Still gross though.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    No... A sandwich is served between slices of bread, not in a bun.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    The Arch-Duke of Hot Dog must be spinning in his grave right now.
  • cee134
    Options
    No... A sandwich is served between slices of bread, not in a bun.

In the case of a sub sandwich or similar, you don't always slice all the way through the bread, and then it's still a single piece of bread, and still definitely a sandwich.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I suppose it's a sandwich, in the same way a burger is a sandwich. It's a subcategory of sandwich.

It's not a taco, I'm absolutely certain of that.

Unless you wrap it in a tortilla. Then it becomes a really weird kind of taco.
  • cee134
    Options
    Is a pita pocket a type of taco? Why wouldn't a hotdog be a kind of taco? It's meat wrapped in carbs.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    It's a skinny sandwich?
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a sandwich. It's a cleverly shaped, half-sandwich. I think, if it had a top...then it would be a sandwich.

There's probably official rules to this kind of thing but I don't know what they are...

Now, a better question is: "Would you place things like sliced honey ham and turkey, cheese slices, lettuce/tomato...and then Dijon mustard into your hot dog bun and eat it?"

If you could do that...I'm going to change my opinion and say it's actually a sandwich.

I can't even approach the taco issue. I haven't thought much about it as I don't like hard-shells. You can't put enough meat in there and they break. I find them frustrating, if not cruel...food delivery systems.
  • cee134
    Options
    But is the hotdog sandwiched between the two halves of the bun?
  • JeepHair77
    Options
    A taco is NOT defined by the hard shell, but it is defined by a tortilla. "Meat wrapped in carbs" is just way too broad a definition.

I think the hot dog is still a sandwich, it just happens to be most effectively eaten on its side.
  • SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I would say yes.

I think if you wanted to call it a sandwich then the sandwich police wouldn't arrest you.

But they might look at you the wrong way.
  • JeepHair77
    Options
    Maybe this will help

b0lf3hd6xes4.jpg

I appear to be a true neutral.

Except that I will not, under any circumstances, describe anything with a tortilla as a sandwich. This is an interesting insight into the depths of my mind.
  • cee134
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    But is it a sandwich?

no, it's a hot dog

analogy:

is this a car ?

half-ton-truck-1.jpg

No.

It has tires and a steering wheel just like a car and drives on the same roads as a car, but it ain't a car....

But it's an automobile. A car is an automobile. So it is a car. You don't call them truck-cars where you live?