Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

They Aren't Curves, They're Fat Rolls

Options

Replies

• born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    lmao off being fit equals no cellulite. I have cellulite until the cows come home but you bet I'm fit.

Again, do you somehow believe that you look like the model we are discussing? I creeped your photos and, IMHO, you do not. Your BF% is obviously much lower than hers. As I said earlier, she's very pretty but that doesn't mean she's not carrying a fair bit of extra fat.

I guess I could have been more clear: it's not a matter of cellulite or not so that when you are fit you have none at all. Rather, it's a scale between more and less cellulite relative to your overall BF%. Her legs look like that cuz she's got a high BF%. The rest of you ladies might have cellulite--I acknowledged it's distressingly stubborn--but not like she does because you all have lower BF% than her and are almost certainly fitter than her if not just skinnier.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    lmao off being fit equals no cellulite. I have cellulite until the cows come home but you bet I'm fit.

Again, do you somehow believe that you look like the model we are discussing? I creeped your photos and, IMHO, you do not. Your BF% is obviously much lower than hers. As I said earlier, she's very pretty but that doesn't mean she's not carrying a fair bit of extra fat.

I guess I could have been more clear: it's not a matter of cellulite or not so that when you are fit you have none at all. Rather, it's a scale between more and less cellulite relative to your overall BF%. Her legs look like that cuz she's got a high BF%. The rest of you ladies might have cellulite--I acknowledged it's distressingly stubborn--but not like she does because you all have lower BF% than her and are almost certainly fitter than her if not just skinnier.

If you want me to DM you a picture I can. It's terrible. You have no clue.
  • BPCycler
    BPCycler Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Because overweight people are looking to you to feel better about themselves?? I assure you, nobody gives a damn what words you want to use to describe their body.

That's also part of the problem. If we need others to feel good about ourselves or to be motivated to take care of ourselves, we already lost the battle.
  • born_of_fire74
    edited June 2017
    Options
    She's very pretty but those are not the legs of a fit person.

OP: fat people cannot have any shape other than fat rolls. Never. Curves.

First response: oh really? Here's a fat woman with curves.

You: but she's not fit.

I mean, no. No one said she was. Would you truly say that beautiful woman has no curves and only fat rolls? That's just baffling to me. Fat women, like all women, come in a variety of shapes and styles. Some have rolls, some are straight, some are curvy, some are a combination of curves and rolls. The idea that fat women present only one body type is wrong.

It seems like we are talking past one another. I already said I'm not sure how to define the spectrum between fat and ??? Not fat? Skinny? Fit? Whatever word you want to use, she exists towards the fat end of the spectrum as opposed to the not fat/skinny/fit end of the spectrum.

My comment was intended to communicate that she is pretty but also not skinny/fit/not fat. That is all. It is possible to be both. Which I'm pretty sure means I'm agreeing with most of the people up in arms with me for pointing out that she's on the heavy side because I also said she is very pretty. Feeling like nothing I say will be acceptable despite the fact I was being supportive of larger, pretty ladies.

EDIT: Lean! That's the word I should have used. She's very pretty but those are not the legs of a lean person.
  • BPCycler
    Options
    grmrsan wrote: »
    BPCycler wrote: »
    An obese person isn't "curvy". It's fat rolls. Tired of the political correctness and marketing ploys.

I'm still over-weight but used to be 30lbs heavier. I was FAT. Period! I'm still over-weight but getting there slowly but surely.

Let's stop lying and enabling and start being honest and do what we have to do. Let's call a duck a duck and stop dodging and ignoring the obesity problem we have here. A least in the US. Start helping out, which includes HONESTY.

Oh get over yourself! I don't give a flying *kitten* what you call it, or what anyone calls it, and these posts are just an excuse to be a jerk about it. People can call thier body parts Excalibur for all you should care. If you don't like it, don't call it that. End of story.

For someone who doesn't care what I call it you sure are angry. Maybe you are the one that should be getting over themselves. All I'm saying is that I'm not changing the definition of a curvy woman so over-weight women (or men) can feel better about themselves. Pick a different word. But it's definitely not CURVY.

There's a difference between being curvy and being fat. I'm not yielding.

I'm not angry about what you call it. I'm angry that you think you're so high and mighty that it is any of your *kitten* business how other people refer to their own bodies. Why do you give a *kitten*? It literally has zero impact on your life. And why in the hell do you think it's so important to come on a site like this and proclaim your opinion in a way that you you know damn good and well is going to hurt peoples feeling? And don't even try and pretend that you are educating or some *kitten*, that's *kitten* and you know it. Use whatever the *kitten* words you want, but deal with your disappointment that the world does not revolve around your opinions.

Sorry my point went over your head.
  • BPCycler
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    An obese person isn't "curvy". It's fat rolls. Tired of the political correctness and marketing ploys.

I'm still over-weight but used to be 30lbs heavier. I was FAT. Period! I'm still over-weight but getting there slowly but surely.

Let's stop lying and enabling and start being honest and do what we have to do. Let's call a duck a duck and stop dodging and ignoring the obesity problem we have here. A least in the US. Start helping out, which includes HONESTY.

Oh get over yourself! I don't give a flying *kitten* what you call it, or what anyone calls it, and these posts are just an excuse to be a jerk about it. People can call thier body parts Excalibur for all you should care. If you don't like it, don't call it that. End of story.

For someone who doesn't care what I call it you sure are angry. Maybe you are the one that should be getting over themselves. All I'm saying is that I'm not changing the definition of a curvy woman so over-weight women (or men) can feel better about themselves. Pick a different word. But it's definitely not CURVY.

Maybe someone uses curvy because it keeps them from slipping into depression and getting even fatter. Maybe they use curvy because they don't actually have rolls and are just thick all over (like the girl in the pictures I was posting), so they feel that actually fits them.

Feel free to roll your eyes when someone says curvy, but the truth is that if they are in denial or trying to justify their weight it doesn't have anything to do with you. I suspect in a few years when weight loss isn't a fresh experience for you your opinion on this will soften a bit.

Maybe someone uses curvy because it keeps them from slipping into depression and getting even fatter. Maybe they use curvy because they don't actually have rolls and are just thick all over (like the girl in the pictures I was posting), so they feel that actually fits them.

Feel free to roll your eyes when someone says curvy, but the truth is that if they are in denial or trying to justify their weight it doesn't have anything to do with you. I suspect in a few years when weight loss isn't a fresh experience for you your opinion on this will soften a bit.

No offense, but it's just that sort of justifying and deflecting that is making matters worse. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, between 1980 and 2002, the number of overweight adolescents tripled and the number of overweight preteens more than doubled. Long-term increased risks associated with childhood obesity include high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and several types of cancer.

Childhood obesity is related to a number of factors, including a sedentary lifestyle, advertising campaigns directed at young people, and the availability and affordability of unhealthy foods. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control says: “Childhood obesity is the result of eating too many calories and not getting enough physical activity.”

Children, adolescents, and adults would do well to take a close look at their lifestyle and instead of going out of their way to shut down others for promoting healthy lifestyles and bodies, focus on getting their own health squared away. Maybe they don't care enough about themselves, but at least care enough about the message they're sending, and for those who care about them.

Toss onto that the epidemic of advertisers distorting what it means to be curvy, promoting the ill-conconceived notion it's okay to be obese as long as you're happy with yourself, we're sending the complete wrong message to young people (to everyone for that matter), compounding the problem.

A Dodgers minor league team recently canceled and actually apologized for scheduling an "Hourglass Appreciation Night."

Why? Well, because it offended people's sensibilities. But let's call fat curvy and continue promoting the idea that the unhealthiness of obesity is just wonderful. Wow, seriously!

If we're going to attack advertising let's go to the real sources of the struggle people have when it comes to starting weight loss and to sustaining weight loss: the weight loss industry.

Let's educate people. Let's tell them that they don't have to starve, cleanse, eat special foods, take magical pills, do certain exercises, or any combination of those to lose weight. Stick it to the weight loss industry and shame them for making it seem like weight loss requires a decoder ring of which fads and pills will make people skinny. Why should I even try because every magazine has tips, tricks, and ads that make it seem impossible. That's a far bigger issue than the word curvy.

I can't believe it happened, but I had to Thumbs Up that one. I couldn't agree more. You highlighted another pet peeve of mine. :-)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

No offense, but it's just that sort of justifying and deflecting that is making matters worse. According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, between 1980 and 2002, the number of overweight adolescents tripled and the number of overweight preteens more than doubled. Long-term increased risks associated with childhood obesity include high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and several types of cancer.

Childhood obesity is related to a number of factors, including a sedentary lifestyle, advertising campaigns directed at young people, and the availability and affordability of unhealthy foods. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control says: “Childhood obesity is the result of eating too many calories and not getting enough physical activity.”

Children, adolescents, and adults would do well to take a close look at their lifestyle and instead of going out of their way to shut down others for promoting healthy lifestyles and bodies, focus on getting their own health squared away. Maybe they don't care enough about themselves, but at least care enough about the message they're sending, and for those who care about them.

Toss onto that the epidemic of advertisers distorting what it means to be curvy, promoting the ill-conconceived notion it's okay to be obese as long as you're happy with yourself, we're sending the complete wrong message to young people (to everyone for that matter), compounding the problem.

A Dodgers minor league team recently canceled and actually apologized for scheduling an "Hourglass Appreciation Night."

Why? Well, because it offended people's sensibilities. But let's call fat curvy and continue promoting the idea that the unhealthiness of obesity is just wonderful. Wow, seriously!

If we're going to attack advertising let's go to the real sources of the struggle people have when it comes to starting weight loss and to sustaining weight loss: the weight loss industry.

Let's educate people. Let's tell them that they don't have to starve, cleanse, eat special foods, take magical pills, do certain exercises, or any combination of those to lose weight. Stick it to the weight loss industry and shame them for making it seem like weight loss requires a decoder ring of which fads and pills will make people skinny. Why should I even try because every magazine has tips, tricks, and ads that make it seem impossible. That's a far bigger issue than the word curvy.

I can't believe it happened, but I had to Thumbs Up that one. I couldn't agree more. You highlighted another pet peeve of mine. :-)

I made the same post earlier, but less words. I honestly think that we could ban companies from saying anything other than fat and it would do absolutely nothing. We have to remove the "barriers of entry" that people see when it comes to weight loss and that comes down to education as well as holding the weight loss industry more accountable for the claims.

ETA: Most of the weight loss industry makes me angry.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

Well, that would kind of offend me too since I'm a (healthy weight) apple shaped woman without a curve from my ribcage to my knees...
  • BPCycler
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I made the same post earlier, but less words. I honestly think that we could ban companies from saying anything other than fat and it would do absolutely nothing. We have to remove the "barriers of entry" that people see when it comes to weight loss and that comes down to education as well as holding the weight loss industry more accountable for the claims.

ETA: Most of the weight loss industry makes me angry.

And "Diet" and Magic Pills. Gotta love it. I didn't start losing weight until I realized it boils down to making a lifestyle change. I've been able to go from Pretty Fat to now just kinda fat. I'm ashamed at what I did to myself and stopped making excuses. That was the barrier I had to break to finally start getting somewhere.

• born_of_fire74
    Options
    How many times am I going to have to walk back and clarify my statement? I'm not arguing anything with anyone. I AGREE THAT A WOMAN CAN BE BOTH PRETTY AND NOT LEAN. Just because you are heavy doesn't mean you are not pretty and just because you are lean does not mean you are pretty. Not sure how much more clear I can be.
This discussion has been closed.