Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

They Aren't Curves, They're Fat Rolls

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    The prevalence and distribution of cellulite is largely genetic. I happened to get lucky. I'm a healthy weight - on the slim side - and I don't have cellulite. My mom IS overweight and she doesn't have noticeable cellulite either. But I have friends who are leaner than me who do have cellulite. It just is what it is. Although it is true that if you tend to accumulate cellulite, the fatter you are, the more you'll have and the more it will show. Cellulite is just a fact of life, though. Most people have it - fit or not. But fit people tend to have less than they would if they were fat.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Don't most women have fat rolls when they sit down or wear pants that are way too tight, unless they have incredibly low body fat %?? I don't have any fat rolls when I'm standing up, but i kinda do when I'm sitting.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2017
    LucasLean wrote: »
    I get what you're saying, but your nomenclature isn't consistent. It depends on the persons definition.
    To me, curvy means Marilyn Monroe type women. And obese means Ashley Graham. Your use of fat rolls can be applied to both, but I know that the media tends to call people like Ashley Graham "curvy". Curvy, in my definition, just means a person in a "normal" body fat range. That would be someone with a normal BMI (which still might have fat rolls when sitting). I'm not politically correct, so being outside the BMI is usually unhealthy. Especially at a extreme with obese models like Ashley Graham.

Interesting, I looked it up, Marilyn was 5'5" 118 lb, BMI 19.6, Ashley is 5'9", 201 lbs BMI of 29.7.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    LucasLean wrote: »
    I get what you're saying, but your nomenclature isn't consistent. It depends on the persons definition.
    To me, curvy means Marilyn Monroe type women. And obese means Ashley Graham. Your use of fat rolls can be applied to both, but I know that the media tends to call people like Ashley Graham "curvy". Curvy, in my definition, just means a person in a "normal" body fat range. That would be someone with a normal BMI (which still might have fat rolls when sitting). I'm not politically correct, so being outside the BMI is usually unhealthy. Especially at a extreme with obese models like Ashley Graham.

Interesting, I looked it up, Marilyn was 5'5" 118 lb, BMI 19.6, Ashley is 5'9", 201 lbs BMI of 29.7.

The issue with using Marilyn as an example is that throughout her adult life she fluctuated a lot. So when one person says Marilyn they mean this:

ogl70ipowdvl.jpg

And then other people mean this:

moxos3j2wqcv.jpg

This article says she topped out at 140 lbs so would still be normal BMI,

http://www.shape.com/blogs/weight-loss-coach/day-marilyn-monroes-diet
  • BPCycler
    BPCycler Posts: 92 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    Curvy can mean fit, fat, overweight, or healthy weight.

Yes, you can be curvy and overweight and not have cellulite. Yes, you can be fit and have cellulite. You can even be fat and fit.

I think the OP was just trying to say that if you're unfit and overweight (either with or without cellulite, either hourglass figure or round), you might be trying to make yourself feel better about yourself by calling yourself curvy, but deep down you know you're unfit and overweight.

The OP might also agree that it takes more than semantics to be happy with yourself, and we should all do our best to combat the health media's myths and scams.

This thread might be better merged with the HAES thread.

Well said. Thank you. Whoever's in charge can merge or close this if they wish.

Peace out. o:)
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Ummm pretty sure I'm fat AND curvy.
This discussion has been closed.