Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

They Aren't Curves, They're Fat Rolls

Options

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Don't most women have fat rolls when they sit down or wear pants that are way too tight, unless they have incredibly low body fat %?? I don't have any fat rolls when I'm standing up, but i kinda do when I'm sitting.

I am really small and thin and still have "rolls" when I sit even though when standing my stomach is completely flat and my ab are super visible. I think everyone does.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    cheldadex wrote: »
    Can you point out the fat rolls for me please:
    255586C300000578-0-image-m-85_1423067226019.jpg

Photoshopped.

Here you go, a selfie:
    Ashley-Graham-flaunted-her-curvaceous-figure-875628.jpg
    She posts a lot on snapchat too

I'm in love

I am very surprised people find this body type attractive as I think she should lose weight and looks unhealthily large.

I think OP may just be getting at the fact that "curvy" people are just fat and need to stop calling it curvy because it's just a way to excuse being overweight and actually promotes it and gives the impression being overweight is 100% normal and ok. And that is the last thing we need when 70% of the country is overweight. I read a few studies showing how people's perception has changed. Many kids growing up in this generation only see overweight adults and think it is normal. Overweight is normal. Being at a healthy BMI is not the norm, as sad as it is.

Some people just like a bigger bodytype on a prospective date. It just depends on what u like. She looks pretty darn good to me too.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

The airbrushing is strong with this one.

If I was that heavy I'd be lumpy af lol agreed.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    https://instagram.com/p/50BCQstTqI/?taken-by=justmanderthings

Still 10lbs overweight in that pic by bmi, I consider myself curvy with 0 fat rolls

• everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I think the problem comes in when people speak in absolutes and in terms of 'we'. I believe in solidarity in many things, but someone's weight, I believe, is their own personal business.
    Don't most women have fat rolls when they sit down or wear pants that are way too tight, unless they have incredibly low body fat %?? I don't have any fat rolls when I'm standing up, but i kinda do when I'm sitting.

I am really small and thin and still have "rolls" when I sit even though when standing my stomach is completely flat and my ab are super visible. I think everyone does.

I've seen a lot of people say this - that 'everyone' has rolls when they sit. Honestly, this is mind boggling to me. I didn't have rolls at 5'5 and 211 lbs and I don't have them now at 171. I'm currently sitting down and I still don't have rolls. I even tried leaning forward or backwards to see if that would create them, but no. I might have had them at 211 sitting down - I never really noticed, but I definitely don't have them now and I'm still overweight. I don't know if it's a posture issue or what, but this is why I don't think people can make blanket statements about 'everyone'.
  • BPCycler
    BPCycler Posts: 92 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    This article sums up what I was TRYING to say:

Fat and Curvy Are Not the Same Thing

It's short and said what I was trying to say far better than I did apparently.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    BPCycler wrote: »
    True. But fat is fat. Doesn't make them "Curvy" like the enabling industry would have us believe. Again, calling a duck a duck. And the sooner we start taking responsibility and stop making excuses then the healthier we'll become quicker.

I don't think saying someone is curvy is making an excuse. You can be curvy without being fat and you can be curvy while fat. I think you are projecting.

The funny thing about this whole weight loss thing is that when we start making progress we suddenly think we can fix everyone else. Obesity is more complex than the label someone puts on their body. Even if we flat out called people fat it wouldn't fix it.

http://www.shiftn.com/obesity/Full-Map.html

I'm so agreeing with you on this subject.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    nzokpinp0fi4.jpg
    Just gonna put this right here :wink: PSA: Everyone has cellulite, even one of the most famous athletes in the world, Serena Williams. You don't have to wait until you lose weight to love your body. You don't have to be thin to have self worth. Lift others up instead of bringing them down. We're all in this battle together!

Yesssssssssssssssssssssss!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    BPCycler wrote: »
    True. But fat is fat. Doesn't make them "Curvy" like the enabling industry would have us believe. Again, calling a duck a duck. And the sooner we start taking responsibility and stop making excuses then the healthier we'll become quicker.

I don't think saying someone is curvy is making an excuse. You can be curvy without being fat and you can be curvy while fat. I think you are projecting.

The funny thing about this whole weight loss thing is that when we start making progress we suddenly think we can fix everyone else.

Obesity is more complex than the label someone puts on their body. Even if we flat out called people fat it wouldn't fix it. :+1:

http://www.shiftn.com/obesity/Full-Map.html

This is so true! It's not at all unusual to see this on or off the forums, "everyone's" an expert once they begin making progress.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    So I find this thread particularly interesting coming on the heels of the "Both genders have the same pressure to be thin" thread. This thread is all about what we call different women's body shapes and whether or not women's body shapes are acceptable or attractive and how to tell whether a woman is fat or curvy, and how we should just call fat women fat.

I was a little surprised to click through to the OPs profile and discover they are male. So OP is a guy who is annoyed by fat women being called curvy.

I have to say that I have never known a woman who was ANY kind of overweight who was staying that weight because she felt it was socially acceptable. The reason is usually either they think it's too difficult or they are too overwhelmed with everything else going on their lives, or they have bought into the fad diet yo-yo cycle.

I have however known several guys who insisted that they weren't really "fat" because they were all muscle under that layer of fat, and the ladies like big guys anyway, and it's just a beer gut.

I seriously doubt there is a huge number of overweight women out there who are staying over weight because someone called them curvy. While the fat acceptance movement is a thing, there are far more social messages telling women (and to some extent men too) to lose weight, and diet, and exercise, and buy diet products, and to get weight-loss procedures, and that women are supposed to be little.

I'm not surprised at all.

Yeah, I shouldn't have been :blush: but I read it as they stopped calling themselves curvy and now everyone else should. Oh well!
  • bapity88
    bapity88 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    So I find this thread particularly interesting coming on the heels of the "Both genders have the same pressure to be thin" thread. This thread is all about what we call different women's body shapes and whether or not women's body shapes are acceptable or attractive and how to tell whether a woman is fat or curvy, and how we should just call fat women fat.

I was a little surprised to click through to the OPs profile and discover they are male. So OP is a guy who is annoyed by fat women being called curvy.

I have to say that I have never known a woman who was ANY kind of overweight who was staying that weight because she felt it was socially acceptable. The reason is usually either they think it's too difficult or they are too overwhelmed with everything else going on their lives, or they have bought into the fad diet yo-yo cycle.

I have however known several guys who insisted that they weren't really "fat" because they were all muscle under that layer of fat, and the ladies like big guys anyway, and it's just a beer gut.

I seriously doubt there is a huge number of overweight women out there who are staying over weight because someone called them curvy. While the fat acceptance movement is a thing, there are far more social messages telling women (and to some extent men too) to lose weight, and diet, and exercise, and buy diet products, and to get weight-loss procedures, and that women are supposed to be little.

I was reminded of that thread as well, especially when people are discussing whether Ashley Graham is even attractive or not.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    bapity88 wrote: »

I was reminded of that thread as well, especially when people are discussing whether Ashley Graham is even attractive or not.

IKR? She's gorgeous. That doesn't mean she doesn't need to lose some weight to be healthier, though I'm not her doctor and I don't know what her numbers are. It doesn't change the fact that she looks amazing!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    cheldadex wrote: »

Photoshopped.

Here you go, a selfie:
    Ashley-Graham-flaunted-her-curvaceous-figure-875628.jpg
    She posts a lot on snapchat too

I'm in love

I am very surprised people find this body type attractive as I think she should lose weight and looks unhealthily large.

I think OP may just be getting at the fact that "curvy" people are just fat and need to stop calling it curvy because it's just a way to excuse being overweight and actually promotes it and gives the impression being overweight is 100% normal and ok. And that is the last thing we need when 70% of the country is overweight. I read a few studies showing how people's perception has changed. Many kids growing up in this generation only see overweight adults and think it is normal. Overweight is normal. Being at a healthy BMI is not the norm, as sad as it is.

you are surprised that certain people find certain body types attractive, really??
This discussion has been closed.