Do you eat pizza every week?

Options

Replies

• vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Once a week slice or two w/ a salad once a month buffalo chicken slice or baked potato slice !
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to be on a 1200 calorie diet if they are capable of losing on a higher calorie allowance is a whole other story.

Well, that sounds really judgemental. Some of us aren't capable of losing on a higher calorie allowance. I am 4'10" and physically disabled and that is the calorie limit. I tried eating more on the advice of a guy at my gym who has a degree in exercise science and nutrition. He said to eat around 1700 calories. I've gained weight doing that. And it isn't really a matter of "wanting" to be on 1200 calories. I'd rather be on 2000 calories, but I don't want to gain more weight. There are a lot of things to me that aren't worth it if I want to hit my calories and macros. I'd love to have a bag of M&Ms but too many calories and throws off my macros.

The context you provided about your height and physical limitations is why the bolded doesn't apply to you.

The comment was made toward people who choose a lower calorie target either because they want to lose at a faster rate, or because they choose not to exercise and increase calories, or choose not to eat back those calories, or just don't believe they can eat more and still lose (there are countless people who are convinced they are doomed to a low cal target b/c petite, or older, or desk job, or female, etc).

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to be on a 1200 calorie diet if they are capable of losing on a higher calorie allowance is a whole other story.

Well, that sounds really judgemental. Some of us aren't capable of losing on a higher calorie allowance. I am 4'10" and physically disabled and that is the calorie limit. I tried eating more on the advice of a guy at my gym who has a degree in exercise science and nutrition. He said to eat around 1700 calories. I've gained weight doing that. And it isn't really a matter of "wanting" to be on 1200 calories. I'd rather be on 2000 calories, but I don't want to gain more weight. There are a lot of things to me that aren't worth it if I want to hit my calories and macros. I'd love to have a bag of M&Ms but too many calories and throws off my macros.

Please notice the if in my statement. There are people who are short and inactive, and for them this is appropriate (like in your case). I'm talking more about taking a stroll through the forums and noticing how many people go that low, you would think half the population is short and inactive. Of course it's their choice, and I'm not judging, it's just heartbreaking when people are making things too hard for themselves to lose an extra ounce or two when things can be much easier and more sustainable, again for those who are capable.
  • MontyMuttland
    MontyMuttland Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just for information, there's actually a background reason why the 1200 calorie daily limit keeps popping up on topics on MFP and it affects a large number of people.
    The lowest daily calorie intake MFP will calculate for a female is 1200 calories.
    Or if you prefer, it's capped at 1200 minimum.
    My wife is in this situation.
    If she tells MFP she'd like to lose 1lb per week, it tells her to eat 1200 calories a day.
    If she tells MFP she'd like to lose 2lb per week, it tells her to eat 1200 calories a day.
    The maths is screwy, since clearly both of these cannot be correct.
    But what it's actually saying is my wife may be able to lose 1lb per week on 1200 calories, but that to lose 2lb per week she'd have to eat even less than 1200 calories except it cannot quote you the calculated amount because it's capped at 1200 minimum.
    1200 calories isn't a great deal of food per day, it's got to be pretty frustrating to those affected to know that in order to achieve their desired weight-loss, they would actually have to eat less than this, and that the correct amount is deliberately with-held.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Just for information, there's actually a background reason why the 1200 calorie daily limit keeps popping up on topics on MFP and it affects a large number of people.
    The lowest daily calorie intake MFP will calculate for a female is 1200 calories.
    If she tells MFP she'd like to lose 1lb per week, it tells her to eat 1200 calories a day.
    If she tells MFP she'd like to lose 2lb per week, it tells her to eat 1200 calories a day.
    But what it's actually saying is my wife may be able to lose 1lb per week on 1200 calories, but that to lose 2lb per week she'd have to eat even less than 1200 calories except it cannot quote you the calculated amount because it's capped at 1200 minimum.
    1200 calories isn't a great deal of food per day, it's got to be pretty frustrating to those affected to know that in order to achieve their desired weight-loss, they would actually have to eat less than this, and that the correct amount is deliberately with-held.

If someone is in a situation where they would have to go below 1200 cals in order to lose at a faster rate of loss, then it's likely that faster rate of loss is not appropriate for them to begin with. It's not something they should be frustrated about, they should reassess their expectations.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

how is this pizza's fault?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

how is this pizza's fault?

Pizza is to blame for *everything*.
  • jzynanja
    jzynanja Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I do, but I make it myself using naan bread - that way I can count the calories better and it makes a nice personal sized pizza - then I pile it high with diced zucchini, mushrooms and bell pepper and top it off with good mozzarella - fabulous!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

It's not withheld -- it's easy to determine that 1200 is the lowest it will give you, and it tells you what your projected loss is. When I started I wanted to lose 2 lb/week, and MFP gave me 1200 and told me my projected loss was 1.8 lbs per week. Because I am not numerically illiterate, it was trivially easy to do the math and figure out that MFP was presuming that my maintenance, when sedentary, was around 2100 and that to lose 2 lb/week, if that was correct, I'd have to eat 1100 or exercise, and that it might not be a good idea to aim for 2 lb/week.

As it happened, I was sufficiently overweight that 2 lb/week was fine, and I was also -- as it turned out -- not sedentary, so despite MFP's prediction I lost about 2.5 lb/week. When I started exercising intentionally, I therefore ate the calories back and lost most of my weight at more like 1500-1600.

So many women get 1200 on MFP because they ask for 2 lbs whether it's reasonable or not, because MFP's numbers are BEFORE exercise, most people tend to put in "sedentary" (in part because of how it's defined by MFP", and most women don't have maintenance levels above 2200 when they are sedentary, OF COURSE. Smaller women don't have maintenance levels above 1700 (making 1 lb=1200) when sedentary, but likely they are not sedentary and smaller women likely should not be aiming for more than 1 lb/week.

Not that this has anything to do with pizza.

My maintenance level IF SEDENTARY is 1550, and I can easily fit in pizza because I am not sedentary (I don't have it every week, though, since I like many other things I choose to have instead often). If I WERE sedentary and eating 1200 to lose .5 lb/week, I could STILL fit in pizza without being hungry, because hunger wouldn't be such a concern when eating at 1200 with a maintenance of 1550 (given my size and hypothetical activity level) as it would be if my maintenance level (because of size and activity) were 2200, when it would be a very substantial deficit.
  • MontyMuttland
    MontyMuttland Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

It's not withheld -- it's easy to determine that 1200 is the lowest it will give you, and it tells you what your projected loss is. When I started I wanted to lose 2 lb/week, and MFP gave me 1200 and told me my projected loss was 1.8 lbs per week. Because I am not numerically illiterate, it was trivially easy to do the math and figure out that MFP was presuming that my maintenance, when sedentary, was around 2100 and that to lose 2 lb/week, if that was correct, I'd have to eat 1100 or exercise, and that it might not be a good idea to aim for 2 lb/week.

As it happened, I was sufficiently overweight that 2 lb/week was fine, and I was also -- as it turned out -- not sedentary, so despite MFP's prediction I lost about 2.5 lb/week. When I started exercising intentionally, I therefore ate the calories back and lost most of my weight at more like 1500-1600.

So many women get 1200 on MFP because they ask for 2 lbs whether it's reasonable or not, because MFP's numbers are BEFORE exercise, most people tend to put in "sedentary" (in part because of how it's defined by MFP", and most women don't have maintenance levels above 2200 when they are sedentary, OF COURSE. Smaller women don't have maintenance levels above 1700 (making 1 lb=1200) when sedentary, but likely they are not sedentary and smaller women likely should not be aiming for more than 1 lb/week.

My maintenance level IF SEDENTARY is 1550, and I can easily fit in pizza because I am not sedentary (I don't have it every week, though, since I like many other things I choose to have instead often). If I WERE sedentary and eating 1200 to lose .5 lb/week, I could STILL fit in pizza without being hungry, because hunger wouldn't be such a concern when eating at 1200 with a maintenance of 1550 (given my size and hypothetical activity level) as it would be if my maintenance level (because of size and activity) were 2200, when it would be a very substantial deficit.

Firstly I need to apologise for going off-topic in this thread. The information I wrote was in reply to the various mentions of "1200 calorie diets" in people's responses.
    It was also posted as information, not intended as bait for someone to chomp on.
    My wife is a little person, as in she is quite short. But she was also morbidly obese (although not anymore). I don't think it's written anywhere (or otherwise scientifically proven) that short people should not aim for a 2lb weekly weight-loss because that might be bad for them.
    As it happens my wife has lost more than half her body-weight so far on a restricted calorie diet, will soon reach the "normal" weight range for someone her height and has averaged pretty close to 2lb weight-loss per week.
    As someone learning to cope with eating just 1200 calories a day over a long period of time, she's had to re-think and adjust what she eats many times in order to achieve a balance where she's getting enough nutrition to sustain her and keep her from feeling constantly hungry between meals.
    And just to pop back on topic, my wife doesn't eat pizza because she doesn't want to waste the calories on it when she has only 1200 calories a day to feed herself on.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    All I know is, after reading this thread I think I'll pick up a pizza for dinner tonight. We have it maybe 3-4 times a month, and I still lost weight while eating it.

We will usually get frozen cheese pizzas and then add our own toppings. Maybe it's just the brand that we usually get, but one annoying thing is that they list the serving size as 1/5 of a pizza. One fifth? Pizza is cut into eighths, that doesn't divide into an even number of slices!
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I'll be experimenting with trying a slice of pizza in two of my meals later this week, probably Friday or Saturday. I haven't had any pizza since early May2017 since its a binge-trigger for me which really messes up my blood sugar control. I haven't tried looking it up yet, but I imagine the the MFP database has hundreds of entries for pizza with a wide variation among them, so, I'm not sure which one to choose yet since my pizza slices will be coming from a local pizza shop.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Firstly I need to apologise for going off-topic in this thread. The information I wrote was in reply to the various mentions of "1200 calorie diets" in people's responses.
    It was also posted as information, not intended as bait for someone to chomp on.
    My wife is a little person, as in she is quite short. But she was also morbidly obese (although not anymore). I don't think it's written anywhere (or otherwise scientifically proven) that short people should not aim for a 2lb weekly weight-loss because that might be bad for them.
    As it happens my wife has lost more than half her body-weight so far on a restricted calorie diet, will soon reach the "normal" weight range for someone her height and has averaged pretty close to 2lb weight-loss per week.
    As someone learning to cope with eating just 1200 calories a day over a long period of time, she's had to re-think and adjust what she eats many times in order to achieve a balance where she's getting enough nutrition to sustain her and keep her from feeling constantly hungry between meals.
    And just to pop back on topic, my wife doesn't eat pizza because she doesn't want to waste the calories on it when she has only 1200 calories a day to feed herself on.

Not sure if this is supposed to disagree with anything I said, in that you quoted me, but whatever.

Like I said, when I started, it told me I'd lose only 1.8 lb on 1200 (I was fat but am only 5'3), but because I was not actually sedentary (it's not great to be sedentary, so that was good), it turned out to be wrong. Bigger point was that it wasn't a surprise -- it told me it's projection at 1200 was 1.8 lbs. That's where I was disagreeing with you.

Someone like me now (5'3, 125) shouldn't aim for 2 lb/week, especially if that meant eating based on sedentary calories (i.e., maintenance is 1550, so aim for 550? that's nuts). Someone who has lots and lots to lose (like 5'3, 200) is going to be able to lose 2 lb/week at 1200 or more, most likely, at least so long as she isn't stuck being super sedentary for some reason. Good rule of thumb is 1% of body weight, although if one is close to go and small I'd modify that, as the risk of losing muscle is greater, and that's not great, IMO.

Anyway, back to topic: I did 1250 + exercise calories for some time, and ate pizza occasionally -- I often had a 600 cal lunch or dinner, so a couple of pieces plus salad could have fit in there (although it usually was not my choice), and I also often had a 1000 cal dinner on the weekends (I had/have extra exercise calories then and liked to fit in a dinner out even when my base calories were low). It was only occasionally pizza -- went to other restaurants more often -- but it's not like the pizza was inherently more caloric or less filling, that's not my experience.

I'm also still curious about the nutrition point that I commented on upthread. I sometimes wonder if some people have a really, really narrow view of what pizza is or think that you can't fit in even one larger meal a week. I get preferring not to fit in a restaurant or larger meal, but I find it odd (again) to single out pizza as different from other such meals.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have really enjoyed reading this thread. Who knew a pizza question could spark such a debate. I have eaten pizza for weeks at a time. Granted they are small 250 calorie pizza from Nutrisystem. I can eat one of those and my pizza craving is gone. However, I only eat "real pizza" on vacation. I eat several slices, which is why I do not eat it more. I am sure I could fit it into my regular eating, but for me it is better when I do not have it as often.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    I am sure I could fit it into my regular eating, but for me it is better when I do not have it as often.

This is how I am with Indian food. I could make lower cal choices and fit it in weekly, but I prefer having it once every month or two and ordering whatever I feel like. For a while it was my pre half marathon dinner, just by coincidence.
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you are able to fit it in your calories? I do once a week. 1 slice of fresh prepared cheese pizza at whole foods is 235 calories. I know I fit the calories into my deficit but I always feel like when eating things like pizza or a fried chicken sandwich from chick fila ( which is 440 calories) that I'm hauling my weight loss. Anyone else feel this way?

OP, I know how you feel, my brain sometimes wants to trick me, too. It's usually a fleeting thought, but if I dwell on that fleeting thought, it can turn into panic and fear. When that thought happens, i just keep reminding myself to trust the calories. It's truly a matter of CICO, so I just repeat to myself, "trust the calories", and the thought passes.
  • hunhun57
    hunhun57 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Love pizza but I only have it once in awhile. More chicken,fish etc.
  • devash1762
    devash1762 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I eat pizza every Thursday night. 2 thin crust slices and a homemade salad. I budget for it when I track my food during the day. Of course, I won't order Sicilian slice which I love but too much dough, too much fat. I could never give up pizza...just too amazing.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I use to buy and eat 1/2 of a Little Ceasar's pepperoni pizza and down it w/3 beers, all by myself in one sitting.

Stopped eating pizza & drinking sodas altogether went I started my current weight loss effort just over a year ago and, while I still drink a beer now and then, I don't drink beer daily or drink more than 2 in one sitting any more.

Among other things, I credit my successful weight loss to these simple measures.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    The sodium could give you a temporary setback from retaining water but honestly I ate a slice of cake for dinner at a friend's birthday party this week and still lost a pound. Not saying that is an ideal plan but I was under my calories, had a good workout and I enjoyed the cake with my friend. If it keeps you happy with your diet and you hit your goals for the most part then go for it. You don't have to be perfect all the time.