Infused water! What's up with this trend?

Options

Replies

• sansob
    sansob Posts: 26 Member
    Options

jgnatca wrote: »
    The infuser bottles will disappear once people find out how hard they are to clean.

• sansob
    sansob Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The infuser bottles will disappear once people find out how hard they are to clean.

LMAO

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,190 Member
    Options
    It makes plain water taste better? I personally find cucumber water gross...

An alkaline compound called cucurbitacin is produced by the plant to make its leaves less attractive to animals. Some of this compound often accumulates in the stem end of the fruit as well. Lack of adequate sunlight can increase this compound in the fruit.

One answer to remove this bitterness is to peel the cucumber before eating or infusing with it.

A few thin slices of peeled cucumber, some mint leaves, and a pinch of salt in a pitcher of cold water, left for an hour or two in the fridge, makes a nice refreshing beverage on a summer day.

Alternatively, try ice cold pickle juice and vodka. Seriously.

There is a bar I go to that does a vodka martini with two infused vodkas (one horseradish, one dill) and they garnish it with a tiny pickle. One of my favorite cocktails ever, perfect on a hot day.

When I was at the symphony last winter, after the performance they offered these amazing orange and earl grey tea infused gin martinis. It was probably the single most delicious drink I've ever had. I don't even like gin! I've always been a vodka martini girl.
    The bergamot in the earl grey tea just made the drink sing.
    But I couldn't get the recipe!!!!

It would be a shame to have to run multiple experiments. ( ;) )
  • ProfessorPupil
    ProfessorPupil Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have never tried infused water before, but after reading this post, I kinda want to try it! I love plain water and always have, even as a child.

Most of the time I prefer it to soda or something. (With certain meal exceptions. Soda is better with something really greasy like pizza.)

But infused water sounds really tasty!
  • ProfessorPupil
    ProfessorPupil Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Also.. technically tea is infused water.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

I thought that about sippy cup valves that are impossible to clean thoroughly, but they're still making those disgusting mold traps.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ereck44 wrote: »
    On a similar note, What's up with alkaline water? I was buying water the other day, and totally confused by the types of water on the shelf, smart water, alkaline water....etc. What the hay? What happened to plain old H2O?
    Claims by idiots thinking that by drinking alkaline water or consuming alkaline foods will put the body in an alkaline and not acidic state.
    Problem is, it's BS. The body regulates pH on it's own REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU EAT OR DRINK. But, they won't tell you that. It doesn't sell.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

While it's true that the body alkalizes itself... GI problems, illness, and disease change that balance. If the body actually alkalized itself PROPERLY then Reflux, Ulcers, and other GI problems would not be caused by or exacerbated by foods, beverages, or medications. And yet.... the that's exactly what Gastroenterologists will limit or have you eliminate. That's also what actual Medical Doctors point to as the cause of a variety of GI disorders.

So while it's *supposed to* regulate itself... that's not actually reality. And food and drinks absolutely affect that ability.

My mother has Laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR). She was always clearing her throat - I used to say it sounded like she had (mild) hairballs. She switched to alkaline water and I don't hear her hairballs anymore.

I believe she made other dietary changes at first, but that the water is the only thing she still adheres to religiously now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    The best infused water?

Soda infused with rum.

Lots of good recipes on this thread but this is the best of all :lol:
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The infusers are only hard to clean depending on the style. I have a cheap "Green Canteen" and the infuser part is a very large, plastic tube that just unscrews from the top and washes normally with a sponge and soap (or dishwasher). But I also change my fruit every 12 hours, so I don't know how funky it would be if I left it in longer.

People also use the infusers to make a fast/compact "sun tea". Instead of roasting tea bags with water out in the sun for a day (like my Mom always did growing up) or filling your coffee filter basket with loose herbs, brewing, and storing a huge container in the fridge (how I used to do it)... you can just secure herbs or tea bags in the infuser, fill it with hot water, throw it in the fridge for a few hours... and it's ready to drink/take on the go.

There's lots of smart uses for them, so I don't think they're likely to go anywhere soon. Hopefully, they'll improve the design on some brands, instead.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options

I thought that about sippy cup valves that are impossible to clean thoroughly, but they're still making those disgusting mold traps.
    Good point, well made.

So. Hard. To. Clean. I used to have to sterilise them with tablets and still had to replace them so regularly.

Only thing worse is the twisty lids on Sistema drinks bottles which can't be taken apart at all and trap food particles.
  • 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    it's funny, when i was really little (back in the 1970's) my church always had baby showers and other functions. there was always some type of punch, but also a big clear jug of water with cucumber, lemon, etc. it's not new, but probably just a swinging trend that came back around. :smile:
  • 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I like infused water because it reminds me of the glorious one time of year I get to go to the spa. Mmmm...fancy spa water.

i am the same way. i go to QUA in las vegas once a year. their water tastes MUCH better than mine! ;)
  • Dianetheinvincible
    Dianetheinvincible Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It gives some flavor so when I feel like drinking something sweet or flavored I can choose no-calorie water instead and still get similar satisfaction from it, and is more refreshing than plain water so it encourages me to drink more. My favorite is watermelon, which is fantastic ice cold on a hot summer day. I haven't made my own, I buy it bottled, but I plan to start making my own because it would be a lot cheaper.
  • CornflakeGirl01
    CornflakeGirl01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I rarely put lemon in my water. I personally do not like infused water. I am a purist! LOL!
  • Dianetheinvincible
    Dianetheinvincible Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I bought a set of tiny brushes, like bottle brushes, but in much smaller sizes for cleaning nooks and crannies, baby bottle nipples, reusable drinking straws, test tubes, aquarium tubing, etc.; they make it much easier to clean my Contigo sippy cup-type valve bottles. I use hot water and hydrogen peroxide with it since that is what was recommended by the makers of a water dispenser I bought a long time ago. It works well, I think, without leaving a soapy taste or smell.

You can find brush sets like this on Amazon by searching for "small bottle brush" or "pipe cleaner brush". Super useful!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't like the taste of water....his urologist told him to only drink water, and he struggles with it. He uses some type of lemon additive that he mixes with his water. I took a sip of it by mistake, and "ewwwww!", how can he drink that stuff. I looked at the bottled water that I drink...Nestles pure life and it has a little sodium bicarb in it. I may have been drinking alkaline water...never knew. It also has mag sulfate and calcium chloride. Maybe I should buy some pH paper and test it. I love the taste of plain old water...nothing else quenches the thirst. After a long 8 mile run in hot weather, I am not interesting in drinking anything but water. Trust me.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Arrrgh won't post and I am over hot. h
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Soda Streams are great. Don't bother with the little flavour bottles, just muddle some fruit in the bottom of a glass then add the water.
    They are very cost effective and you can get .5L bottles that are good for carrying around.

Cheers, h.
    Edited because I did a much longer post with a couple of quotes that didn't work, arrrgh.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

I bought a set of tiny brushes, like bottle brushes, but in much smaller sizes for cleaning nooks and crannies, baby bottle nipples, reusable drinking straws, test tubes, aquarium tubing, etc.; they make it much easier to clean my Contigo sippy cup-type valve bottles. I use hot water and hydrogen peroxide with it since that is what was recommended by the makers of a water dispenser I bought a long time ago. It works well, I think, without leaving a soapy taste or smell.

You can find brush sets like this on Amazon by searching for "small bottle brush" or "pipe cleaner brush". Super useful!

I'm talking about ones that are completely enclosed. I know it's not the same as infuser bottles.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    2DUNNY wrote: »
    it's funny, when i was really little (back in the 1970's) my church always had baby showers and other functions. there was always some type of punch, but also a big clear jug of water with cucumber, lemon, etc. it's not new, but probably just a swinging trend that came back around. :smile:
    All trends come back in some form.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png