"Woo" Button to Comment on Posts (?)

Options
124»

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Woo = Werke ohne Opuszahl ("Works without opus number") (WoO), also Kinsky–Halm Catalogue, is a German musical catalogue prepared in 1955 by Georg Kinsky and Hans Halm, listing all of the compositions of Ludwig van Beethoven that were not originally published with an opus number, or survived only as fragments.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    t4b98p3lxtz0.jpg
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgg1Yczq4vI

Jeffrey Osbourne--You Should Be Mine (the Woo Woo Woo Song)

Ah, the '80s.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Ill say it. The woo button is dumb. Any dev worth a pinch of salt knows not to make a button with two polar opposite meanings.

A good dev would know that, the customers who request the software changes are a different matter....

Yeah, but those of us who voted only voted for the "negative" woo woo science meaning. They didn't mention dual meanings until after they implemented the button.

Not sure, but I think he's referring to the powers that be at MFP as the "customers".
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    It's gorgeously passive-aggressive!

This!!

• sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    t4b98p3lxtz0.jpg

Now I feel the need to watch this
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Does it make anyone else think of this...?
    tenor.gif

That was my first thought.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Ill say it. The woo button is dumb. Any dev worth a pinch of salt knows not to make a button with two polar opposite meanings.

A good dev would know that, the customers who request the software changes are a different matter....

Yeah, but those of us who voted only voted for the "negative" woo woo science meaning. They didn't mention dual meanings until after they implemented the button.

Not sure, but I think he's referring to the powers that be at MFP as the "customers".

Yes, that was what I was referring to. MFP admins requested their forum vendor Vanilla implement a new reaction counter button and told them to call it "woo", and the Vanilla coders went and implemented it as instructed. And whoever suggested that it's because all the coders aren't from around here and don't understand English just played into some pretty offensive stereotypes.

As for MFP stating the button now means both agreement and disagreement, it's a nice feat of linguistic woo-jitsu.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I kinda hate that it can mean two separate things. When I click Woo I want the poster to know I think their post is B.S. I don't want them to inadvertently think I'm cheering their nonsense on...

And if you really look at that smiley, you'll see that it's a bit trollish looking...like this:
    2mh26dk16ffk.jpg

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    It was staring us right in the face...

sneh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqczJEq1C5A
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    I love woo, but I feel like a "yikes!" or "say WHAT?!" button would be useful, too, and maybe a "that's what she said."
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    I love woo, but I feel like a "yikes!" or "say WHAT?!" button would be useful, too, and maybe a "that's what she said."

YES

I'm going to start making calls. This is my new cause. Maybe we can start a petition or something?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    I don't intend to ever use the woo button, because this is the only place I've seen the term consistently used in the negative. The kind of person who comes here to post about their incredible juice detox cleanse to kickstart your diet is also the kind of person who would take it to mean "awesome" and think everyone agrees with them.

It should have been a thumbs-down "dislike" or "disagree" button.

The bolded: That makes the "woo" button even more fun, in my world. ;)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    I don't intend to ever use the woo button, because this is the only place I've seen the term consistently used in the negative. The kind of person who comes here to post about their incredible juice detox cleanse to kickstart your diet is also the kind of person who would take it to mean "awesome" and think everyone agrees with them.

It should have been a thumbs-down "dislike" or "disagree" button.

The bolded: That makes the "woo" button even more fun, in my world. ;)

I "woo'ed" you, @AnnPT77. In this case it means "woo hoo." :D