13»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    pacific904 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    mariaros wrote: »
    Yes we, everyone need this information, specifically if want to loose weight and not gain it back.

No. everybody does not. Jason Fung has been debunked many times. He is just another woo peddler like Dr. Oz and many others. There is no scientific backing for his claims.

Plenty of scientific backing behind Dr Fung's statements! Love Eric Berg too.
    Much more scientific backing on CICO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My husband lost 49 lbs following Dr Fung's principles. He is also off all his diabetic and heart medication. Thank you Dr Fung!

I have lost 66 lb. counting calories and meeting macros. I am also off diabetes meds as well as the BP and lipids meds.

losing weight is the important thing for improving health markers, not how you do it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I also gotta kinda laugh because he's Asian and if he attends any family gatherings or parties, I can bet there's a lot of rice, and other starchy foods around. And like most Asians (with the possible exception of those raised in the US), they're likely well within normal weight and body fat range.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

A bit "cliche" your comment!
    Um, I'm Asian. I go to several Asian parties throughout the year.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

:D It's true and if that poster had read Fung's book, he would know that he clearly acknowledges rice and other starchy foods in the Asian culinary tradition and the lack of obesity in traditional Asian cultures.
    Personally, after reading Fung's book, he has some hits and some misses. I think his final protocol of low added sugars and simple carb, higher fiber and more fats with moderate proteins as well as IF will work well with his client population of sedentary obese people. How he gets there in terms of rationale is a whole other story. When he started referencing Taubes, Lustig and Wheat Belly, my wooo detector was going off big time. Some right conclusions despite taking a flawed road to get there. It's not the definitive answer by any means. Too much woo.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    When you are reducing calories you are probably unknowingly reducing carbs.

Study's been done already, reducing carbs or not is irrelevant.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ... and I think it's at this point I'll remind readers the OP said:
    mariaros wrote: »
    Yes we, everyone need this information, specifically if want to loose weight and not gain it back.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I think the book can be quite effective for his target audience: overweight individuals with insulin resistance who struggle with steady calorie restriction (for months or years to lose their weight) on a higher carb diet. It brings insulin and blood glucose levels down quite quickly - important to those with IR.

It won't work for all, but it will work for many.

I found the idea of not needing to eat for a few days to be quite freeing, Busy? Don't eat. Need to get out of the house quickly? Skip eating. Need some extra mental clarity? Don't eat, and when you do keep it lower carb (especially refined carbs).

Mental clarity for me is improved when I eat. Otherwise, I just want to nap. When I say eat, I don't mean *overeat* - a huge meal (like Christmas dinner, for example,) usually makes me sleepy, too. :)