July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Will increase goal to 100 this month. Hoping to slowly increase my long runs from 7 miles to 8 or 9 miles by the end of the month.

July1 - 4.1miles - 4.1MTD

That's awesome. 100 miles is definitely doable. You got this!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    7/1 - 4 miles

This was a fast walk rather than a run. I was sorting out a new running route which takes in a couple of off-road trails that are easy to miss. I'd mapped out the route on Garmin Connect first and then written down the street names and where the trail started and ended and decided it would be better to walk the route first so that I didn't miss anything and get hopelessly lost (it wouldn't be the first time).

As it turned out, I did miss one of the trail entrances and had to retrace my steps. But now that I know where I'm going, I'm looking forward to running it.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    July 1 – 5.0 miles & 21DFX ABC Extreme

Total: 5.0/100 miles

A new month. A new goal. Ok, it’s the same goal. I missed it my 3 miles last month, but I have an extra day to play with this month and no major restaurant holidays so I shouldn’t have any unplanned rest days, God willing.

Upcoming Race:

July 21 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #2, 5K
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    garygse wrote: »
    @katharmonic I hope your phone recovers, and while I know this info is a little too late for you, I usually wrap my phone and car key in dog poop bags; small and convenient enough to hold things, while offering a substantial amount of rain and sweat protection.

Or get a waterproof phone, like mine. :grin: and separate the electronic car key from the traditional key. Tada!
    I know you speak in jest, but be wary! Water-resistant phones tend to be classified as water resistant to fresh water. I don't sweat fresh water (I wish I did though), and all that salt can quickly erode the internal seals and render the IP rating of the phone useless. Dog poop bags FTW! :smile:
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    First run of July was a walk because my hip is still a bit iffy. 4.3 miles, and I got a new walking mile PR of 14:33 according to Garmin. That's about 36 seconds faster than my previous PR. I'm definitely a speedy walker. Now if only I could run fast. :smile:
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @katharmonic I hope your phone recovers, and while I know this info is a little too late for you, I usually wrap my phone and car key in dog poop bags; small and convenient enough to hold things, while offering a substantial amount of rain and sweat protection.

Or get a waterproof phone, like mine. :grin: and separate the electronic car key from the traditional key. Tada!
    I know you speak in jest, but be wary! Water-resistant phones tend to be classified as water resistant to fresh water. I don't sweat fresh water (I wish I did though), and all that salt can quickly erode the internal seals and render the IP rating of the phone useless. Dog poop bags FTW! :smile:

That's good to know. I missed that guess cuz I don't carry my phone. Unless I'm on the bike and I have carrying case for it. It can get wet. I've seen some women carry phones in thier bras eek! Never thought about the salt!

I'm sure glad you told me that!

BTW I sweat Kool-aid. Haha!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    1---6.38 First off, I shared my body glide with DH. It's now his. He's... Oh use your imagination. Second, oh no! He's becoming heat conditioned! He won't stop running.

6.38/70

Upcoming races

AIM for the Cure- 5K, virual run
    July 8- XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run, 5K.  Glen Rose,TX
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PR's
    1 mile 10:11  5k 34.27 10k 1:20.25

I use Heel Tastic for my chafing issues. I told my husband about it and now he uses it all of the time, every day...he's obsessed with it. He has some chafing issues and psoriasis. I think that we married brothers.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,971 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Welcome to the group @czvanut. There are lots of fast runners here who run long distances each month, but there are still some of us who aren't as fast and don't run as far. I think my running stats are pretty close to yours. This is a really great group and very welcoming to all runners at every level of ability.

@carolineb81 Sorry you didn't have a good run today. I hope you feel better soon.

@orphia and @dkabambe I love the "dumb runner" article. That is definitely me. I usually feel like I don't know what I am doing. I just know that I love to run.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    1---6.38 First off, I shared my body glide with DH. It's now his. He's... Oh use your imagination. Second, oh no! He's becoming heat conditioned! He won't stop running.

6.38/70

Upcoming races

AIM for the Cure- 5K, virual run
    July 8- XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run, 5K.  Glen Rose,TX
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PR's
    1 mile 10:11  5k 34.27 10k 1:20.25

I use Heel Tastic for my chafing issues. I told my husband about it and now he uses it all of the time, every day...he's obsessed with it. He has some chafing issues and psoriasis. I think that we married brothers.

Mine has psoriasis too. I'm just glad I bought a 2 pack. :wink:

I "ran" 6 miles. The body glide must be keeping him going. I'll bet he's just about hit 10 miles by now.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    7/1 8 miles - Boo!

Summer Goal: Get my marathon pace below 9 minutes.
    Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

07/28/17 - Liberty Mile - 1 mile race just to see what a short run really is :)
    10/14/17 - Stop, Drop, and Run - Fireman style obstacle course - 5km

05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.

So I intended to run like 20. I even ate extra calories this morning in prep for it. At some place along the way my foot started hurting and it kept getting worse. At 8 miles I decided not to push my luck and walked home. :frowning:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    7/1 8 miles - Boo!

Summer Goal: Get my marathon pace below 9 minutes.
    Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

07/28/17 - Liberty Mile - 1 mile race just to see what a short run really is :)
    10/14/17 - Stop, Drop, and Run - Fireman style obstacle course - 5km

05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.

So I intended to run like 20. I even ate extra calories this morning in prep for it. At some place along the way my foot started hurting and it kept getting worse. At 8 miles I decided not to push my luck and walked home. :frowning:

Boo! Sorry to hear this. Hopefully rest will take care of it.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic sorry for your loss.

I have a spibelt but sweat everything I put into it to pieces. Sounds like a swell idea, but...

Off to a good start for July
    7/1 6.26 miles
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Day 1 of July is day 45 of my Running Streak. Happy Canada Day.
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Day 1 of July is day 45 of my Running Streak. Happy Canada Day.

Not sure where the rest of my post disappeared to? But we'll try it again. Celebrated a Canada day with my 5K Run to Quit group that I coach. All of them completed their 5Km race today at the Forks Market here in Winnipeg and are smoke free since Mothers Day! Which is completely awesome! The icing on the cake was running my best 5K in 6 years and narrowly missed beating my personal best by a few seconds. Plan this month is to run daily and average 4 miles per day. Also have been challenged to run 150 days to celebrate Canada's 150th birthday. Only 105 days to go.

• NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @PastorVincent Its swimming-running race. Mine is 1.5k running, 1k swimming and 5k running.
    I hope you will be run ready soon!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I've made my goal at 79 miles- it is fewer miles this month, but there is logic and thought behind that.

7/1 - Rest Day

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    7/4/17 - Miner 5K
    7/29/17 - Dr. Dash 10K
    10/21/17 - Oregon Trail Run HM
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Late to the party and in for 360 since July begins my 50 miler training for Whistler! May or may not have ordered a new race vest from Nathan for the race yesterday because...uh...I should train with it right ;) ? Hopefully Koerner's program doesn't kill me, haha!

July 1- 9.7

9.7/360