July 2017 Running Challenge

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Hello July runners!

My goal for July is 110 miles. This month I will be dedicating my miles to a virtual race for the Sarcoma Foundation of America, in memory of my sister, Kelly. She was diagnosed with an aggressive sarcoma in 2013, and passed away just one year later in September 2014 at age 43. I became a runner mostly as a way to deal with this terrible loss and I am happy to be able to contribute to research in this small way so that maybe other families won't have to experience the same.
    drr0sjc425h8.png

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    07/01/17 :::: 8.1 :::: 8.1
    Goal = 110 miles

The month kicks off with a long run in the pouring rain! It was raining hard when I left home, but the forecast looked promising for a break at the start of the run at 7 am. And, right on cue, it stopped raining as I pulled into the parking lot. I felt really good about my luck but about 30 minutes into the run, it started raining again. Lightly at first an then harder and harder. Well, we weren't too hot!

Sadly, I had my phone in my hydration belt pocket and it got too wet and died. I'm hoping it will dry out and recover. :'(

Link to @katharmonic 's virtual run:

https://runsignup.com/Race/MD/Damascus/RacetoCureSarcomaVirtual5K

I shouldn't run at the moment, but I might make an exception for this cause.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Hello July runners!

My goal for July is 110 miles. This month I will be dedicating my miles to a virtual race for the Sarcoma Foundation of America, in memory of my sister, Kelly. She was diagnosed with an aggressive sarcoma in 2013, and passed away just one year later in September 2014 at age 43. I became a runner mostly as a way to deal with this terrible loss and I am happy to be able to contribute to research in this small way so that maybe other families won't have to experience the same.

Sorry to hear about Kelly. :frowning:
    Orphia wrote: »
    Link to @katharmonic 's virtual run:

https://runsignup.com/Race/MD/Damascus/RacetoCureSarcomaVirtual5K

I shouldn't run at the moment, but I might make an exception for this cause.

@Orphia Well it DOES say run/walk you know :smile:
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    edited July 2017
    Aw, thank you @Orphia. I didn't want to pressure anyone to sign up, but if you do want to, I have a team called Kelly's Courage Runners that you can join.

https://runsignup.com/Race/Register/RaceGroup-384906?raceId=47651
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited July 2017
    @jessicamcb Good luck with the training!

Koerners plans are crazy mileage, but purposely so. I'll be using a modified version of his, since I'm 16 weeks away from my 50k (100 if my friend talks me into it) .

Which Nathan vest did you order? I had looked at them when I was vest shopping.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    19k planned and went well. Decided on a flat non-technical trail route today. Legs started to feel tired for the last 6-7k or so but I expected that having done 11k yesterday. The last 3k were also into a pretty bad headwind which didn't help, and had to pick up the pace/effort to keep my mind in the game. After finishing though I feel good and very pleased with my start to the month.

exercise.png

1-July: 11.51km - easy 6.5k; HM pace last 5k
    2-July: 19.26km - easy(-ish)

Upcoming Races:
    9-July: Southend HM
    ?? 22-Oct: Chelmsford Marathon ?? [Undecided]
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    July 2: C25K W7D3 - 2.0 miles running, 4.2 miles total

Totals: 4.2/25. 2.0/25

Cool but humid this morning. My right hip and left shin both said, "Ugh, not this again; we want to go back to bed," as soon as I switched from walk to run, but they settled down within the first minute, and after that I felt great. I had extra time this morning, so ran out to where the trail crosses the next road, so I could see where the 5k turnaround point was. 5k is a *lot* farther than I am currently running. But I will eventually get there. I had plenty of run left in me at the 25 minute point, so am looking forward to 28 minutes on Tuesday.

I was not a bit faster today than I was in Friday's heat! Apparently I have only one speed. I did have a negative split today, which is normally the case for me, but was not the case on Friday.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    edited July 2017
    Oberon21 wrote: »
    Hi, I am going to join you guys and focus on a specific goal this month. I have been off track for a while, need to really get focused. My goal for the month is 100 miles.

exercise.png

All I have to say is wow, I'm definitely out of running shape.

7/2 4.5

exercise.png

• Oberon21
    Hi, I am going to join you guys and focus on a specific goal this month. I have been off track for a while, need to really get focused. My goal for the month is 100 miles.

exercise.png

All i have to say is wow, I'm definitely out of running shape.

7/2 4.5

exercise.png

Can someone explain to me why my tracker keeps setting itself back to zero?
  • Oberon21
    Ok I finally got it to work.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    I do feel like I'm him and everyone else is criticising me after a while when I'm devouring ALL THE RUNNING FORUMZ AND GROUPS AND SITEZ!!!

https://dumbrunner.com/news-blog/2017/6/23/poor-*kitten*-has-no-idea-hes-running-all-wrong

Priceless! And totally me! Except it was missing the part where I dance while I run when Fireball comes on, lol!
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    7/2 4.0 Mi 4.0 Mi 36.0 Mi

Was supposed to do a short run yesterday but was exhausted when I woke up. I have been fighting the tiredness all week and it caught up with me yesterday. I ended up sleeping in and going for a 4 mile walk with my Mom, J and the dogs to get ice cream in the evening. Did a planned 4 mile run today in the Metroparks by work. Found some trails and bridal paths to run down. Kept a better eye on my pace and the softer footing helped. Felt like I could have gone a few more miles at the end so the rest day was definitely a good thing.

0dlm99tm6zq5.jpg

2017 Races :
    4/29/2017 Pro Football Hall of Fame 5k - Done
    6/10/17 Run and Ride Cedar Point 5K (maybe) - Done
    9/9/17 Kick off 5k (race 2 of series)
    11/19/17 Halftime 10K (race 3 of series)
    2/4/18 Championship 5 miler (race 4 of series)
    4/29/18 Akron Half Marathon (Can sign up for $26.50 by 8/1 without getting a shirt for full or half)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Welcome @Zac1644 !
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited July 2017
    7/1 = gym day: 1 hour strength training
    7/2 = 13 miles with running group (run/walk)

13 slow and hot miles this morning with the running group. I learned something new today. I checked the weather before we started out at 6 am. Apparently, it can be 100% humid without actually raining. Gross...

opc439bs4f7y.jpg

(July miles to date) 13/170 (July goal miles)

Upcoming 2017 Races:
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    11/23 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    12/10 = BCS Half Marathon
  • Zac1644
    Zac1644 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Welcome @Zac1644 !

Thank you so much! And thank you to whomever that is in your picture! Thank you for his service!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    July Running Totals (miles)
    7/1 – 14.00 paced run
    7/2 – 14.03 easy

July total to date – 28.03

Nominal Challenge Goal – 260 miles
    Real Goals: Stay healthy. Train toward Rochester Marathon. Pace Shoreline Half as close as possible to a 1:40 finish with even splits. Run Karknocker 5K in under 20 minutes.

Today's notes – The assignment for today was 8-14 miles easy. I had penciled in 12 miles, but changed my mind to do 14 so I could 6 miles tomorrow instead of the 8 I had penciled it. That would make tomorrow closer to a rest day before racing Tuesday morning. Yeah, it's not an important race; but you do the little things that you can. And because I'm solo, I can run 14 continual miles today, as opposed to 14 miles with breaks yesterday.

Today was a day of trying different things. A non-running disruption to my schedule made me decide the best option for today was to be up early, run long, and skip church. Wanted to get out on the road by 7, actually started at 6:49. Temperature was 64º F (18º C), with 94% relative humidity. Wind wasn't a factor, and it was sunny. The temperature probably rose to somewhere around 70º F (21º C) by the time I finished. Of course I was soaked with sweat. I don't know whether it would have been better to run in a singlet and not have sleeves to hold the moisture; I wore a short sleeve tech shirt to keep the sun off my shoulders. *shrug* It worked out okay, might have worked better with a singlet.

On a whim, I took along a pack of Shot Bloks that I had leftover from Boston 2016. The first test was whether they would travel well in the gel holder on my summer hydration belt. Nope. I could walk forever with gels or Shot Bloks there, but run and they jiggle down to fall out. So within the first mile I'm carrying a pack of Shot Blocks in my hand.

About 2 miles in, I notice a small rock in my left shoe. If I were running another 2 miles, I might have just lived with it; it wasn't all that bad. But 12 more miles is a long way to run with a minor irritant, so I found a curb, stopped, and got the rock out of the shoe. I didn't pause my watch. My thought was that I wanted to see what Garmin and Strava did with the stopped time. The result I count is the Garmin time, 14.03 miles 1:50:27 for an average pace of 7:52 per mile. Garmin says 1:49:23 moving time for an average moving pace of 7:48 per mile. Strava agrees with Garmin for total elapsed time, but says 1:49:19 moving time for an average pace of 7:47 per mile. My informal estimate was that I had stopped for about a minute, maybe a few seconds more; close enough.

By mile 3, I realized I could put the pack of Shot Blocks in the large pouch where I carry gels and my phone. Put it there, pulled it out about 5.5 miles to start the experiment. It was a challenge to open the pack while running; that could be fixed in the future by making a small slit in the edge before I start. Got it open, took a blok.

I recall my sister has a protocol of run for 3 miles, then take one blok every mile. I thought about that. It took me about a kilometer to finish that single Shot Blok. At that point, I just took another. And a third when that was done, for the fuel equivalent of one gel. Taking a gel typically takes me about 0.2 mile, maybe a little more or a little less depending on how efficient I am. Consuming those 3 bloks took me 2 miles.

Thought about that, thought about being on a run that would normally be a 2-gel run, and I started the next series of 3 bloks at 10.1 miles. By then I was used to the bloks and they were a nice flavor to have along; it took me 2.7 miles to go through the other 3 bloks. I think I see the point. My sister's protocol would essentially have me continually refueling, with small parts of a mile between finishing one blok and starting the next. And even with no practice, there was no sticky mess on my hands like there will be if I mess up how I do a gel.

On the other hand, I suspect the Shot Bloks would be a bit like marbles in the winter. I probably won't go out and buy more, but I might experiment with them more if I find more freebies.

My Achilles niggle spoke up briefly during mile 12. I thought about that, finished the run on terrain that wasn't very challenging, and made sure to do my stretches and cone touches. This is feeling like late rehab, not like the road to worse injury. I'm pleased with that. I tentatively think I can leave the revised marathon plan in place, and run to its weekly target mileages.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 40:04
    May 27, 2017 Canandaigua Classic Half Marathon (Canandaigua, NY) finished in 1:33:06
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 5:44.90, PR for mile
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) finished in 19:32
    July 4, 2017 Firecracker Four Mile (Fairport, NY)
    July 15, 2017 Shoreline Half Marathon [1:40 pacer] (Hamlin, NY)
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    September 3, 2017 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY)
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)