July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless - I can't even imagine- I live in a dry climate... if our humidity gets over about 40%- it's probably raining...

@MobyCarp - shot blocks were not my favorite when I was experimenting with fuel. They were VERY hard to chew... but I was experimenting while it was winter in Wyoming... so your judge of consistency during winter might be fairly accurate. In terms of solids fuel things in general friend and I preferred the stinger chews. Stingers were more like gummy bear consistency, while the shot blocks were more like "dots" candy. However, someone heard us complaining about trying to chew and run in general, and they said they cut them into pieces. That helps the shot blocks tremendously - and solves the packaging issues. We had much better luck with them if we planned ahead - we cut each block into 4 chunks, and would put the collection into a snack size ziplock. The ziplock was easier to work with while running, and the smaller pieces worked much better, although still pretty rough for us.
    But as my disclaimer- this winter/spring was my first experience with fuel in general, so my experience is fairly limited.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Zac1644 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Welcome @Zac1644 !

Thank you so much! And thank you to whomever that is in your picture! Thank you for his service!

My son and thank you for your service.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---6.38
    2---4.25 lovely rain run!

10.63/70

Upcoming races

AIM for the Cure- 5K, virual run
    July 8- XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run, 5K.  Glen Rose,TX
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, Hoping for a half! Norman OK.

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PR's
    1 mile 10:11  5k 34.27 10k 1:20.25
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @hanlonsk @PastorVincent - I tried GU Chomps early in my distance running career, and found them too hard to chew. I went into today's run with low expectations for the Shot Bloks, and they did better than expected.

I still have the issues of a) winter running, which @hanlonsk confirms is an issue, and b) Bloks are bulkier than gels, so I can't carry as many (which only matters for the marathon distance).

The Bloks seemed to fuel me as well today as gels, except it took longer for the first serving to kick in. Well, it took me longer to eat them than to eat a gel. Absent space considerations, I might want to try to carry Bloks at Boston and just run the entire race always working on one. But I have another 9 months to think about that. I don't think I'll try that strategy at Rochester. And if I try it at Boston, I have to figure out how taking S-Caps every half hour fits in. Hmm. Also need to think about how in-race fueling and pre-race food management work together for Boston. It's a logistical puzzle.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    July 1 – 5.0 miles & 21DFX ABC Extreme
    July 2 – 3.0 miles & P90X3 Isometrix

Total: 8.0/100 miles

I’ve been terrible about my strength training lately, and I’m starting to feel it, especially at work. I was working my way through Hardcore 22. At first, I liked it. The workouts were short, and they seemed compatible with my running. Unfortunately, the workouts lack variety and quickly became repetitious and boring…and I stopped doing them. Well, it’s time to get some muscle back.

I’ll be going back to some old favorites. Tomorrow I’ll be starting a round of 21 Day Fix Extreme along with my HM running program followed by a round of P90X3. That should set me up just right to start OCR training towards the end of the year.

I’m going to have to carve out a bit more time each day in order to work out and start doing longer runs to get ready for my first half in November. I guess there’ll be No more Candy Crush for me!

Upcoming Race:
    July 21 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #2, 5K
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I love your "I'm not a doctor, I don't even play one on TV" type disclaimers- good thoughts re: knee issues and the impact of form!

July 1- 9.7
    July 2- 5

14.7/360

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    July Goal: 85 mile (yeah, a REAL goal!)

7/1 3.75
    7/2 3.52

Total 7.27

@katharmonic : I'm in!

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png

upcoming races:
    Fun in the Sun Virtual 10k 6/28/17
    Race to Cure Sarcoma Month of July
    Volcano Rainforest Runs 10k 8/19
    BlockThe Sun Run 5k Oct 14 (https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017) (physical and virtual options available)
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn I will be so jealous if you hit the 100, haha! I ordered the Nathan VaporAiress in the smallest size in the hopes it will stop my bounce issues. Should be here by Friday, I'll compare and contrast it with my Firestorm then :)

So somewhat off topic but my last few BP readings have run roughly 80/60. Does anyone else find their BP runs low running high volume/distance?

I have low bp normally that gets ever lower running even not-so-high volume. My doc tells me to check my pulse and if it's not high and I don't have any symptoms (ignoring dizzy when sitting/standing - postural hypotension), not to worry. She says to drink more water and get extra sodium, which does seem to help within a day. If I have other symptoms or a high pulse, then a visit to the doc is in order.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    Back after a long break. I got discouraged but have realized I enjoy running, so I shouldn't care if I'm as slow as molasses. Better to be doing something slowly than doing nothing. I'll aim for 75 km this month.

I run. I'm as slow as a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run! Team Turtle: We're Slow as Shell!

I'm not really built for speed, but I keep going, slowly shaving a few seconds off my time here and there. I do get discouraged occasionally though, because I am slow. Then I remind myself to run my own race and stop comparing myself to others. You're running for you. No one else. Just you. Enjoy every step!

Lol, thanks!
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Happy running everyone!

I'm going for 200 kms

exercise.png
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    5.1 fast finish 6. Supposed to run last 12 minutes in zone 3 but I think it was more like zone 5. Was supposed to run 35 minutes in zone 2 but I think it was 3. I'll have a better idea when my heart monitor comes in next week. I'm thinking of a slight increase on the volume of training in the plan.i did my strength training after my run which gives me two days in a row with that. Don't know if the plan had enough miles on it to reach my 150 for this month. I reach the 2017 km mark for the year. I also figured out where to do my hill repeats for Thursday's run. Tomorrow was going to be a cross day on the elliptical but that will have to change as the gym is closed to celebrate America's birthday. I'll just switch Tuesday and Wednesday.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    -------   -----    -------
    July  1     4.0        4.0 
    July  3     3.7        7.7 

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    5.1 fast finish 6. Supposed to run last 12 minutes in zone 3 but I think it was more like zone 5. Was supposed to run 35 minutes in zone 2 but I think it was 3. I'll have a better idea when my heart monitor comes in next week. I'm thinking of a slight increase on the volume of training in the plan.i did my strength training after my run which gives me two days in a row with that. Don't know if the plan had enough miles on it to reach my 150 for this month. I reach the 2017 km mark for the year. I also figured out where to do my hill repeats for Thursday's run. Tomorrow was going to be a cross day on the elliptical but that will have to change as the gym is closed to celebrate America's birthday. I'll just switch Tuesday and Wednesday.

Without the HRM I find it impossible to guess any zone other than "way too hard/wast" and "umm, I think I am actually walking" :lol:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7/1 8 miles - forced early stop :(
    7/2 Forced rest day

Summer Goal: Get my marathon pace below 9 minutes.
    Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

07/28/17 - Liberty Mile - 1 mile race just to see what a short run really is :)
    10/14/17 - Stop, Drop, and Run - Fireman style obstacle course - 5km

05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.

So yesterday. Instead of going on a nice easy run to test my foot... I was in the ER. *sigh* This joker:

decided that getting a earbud tip stuck in his ear would be a good plan. Somehow he got it in deep enough that I could not see it. The nurse thought it very funny.

July is NOT starting off very "runderful" :disappointed:

But tomorrow I have off, so I am thinking that I will do a super easy pace run today just so my joints do not get stiff and then tomorrow attempt the 20 mile run with my Clif Blok test that was planned for 7/1.