July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    To jump in on the hot dog argument. A good hot dog doesn't exist. A hot dog should be tossed to the dog and replaced with a brat or other good sausage and then you can argue condiments which shouldn't go past mustard and kraut (depending on the sausage other allowances can be made).

Someone's fancy! :blush:
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Azercord wrote: »
    To jump in on the hot dog argument. A good hot dog doesn't exist. A hot dog should be tossed to the dog and replaced with a brat or other good sausage and then you can argue condiments which shouldn't go past mustard and kraut (depending on the sausage other allowances can be made).

Someone's fancy! :blush:

I accidentally read what was in hot dogs once :s
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I booked a dexa scan mid August. I was happy with my home scale numbers until work came up with different numbers, 8 pounds heavier (dressed and in steel toe boots). I don't know if my clothes really weighed that much. Best I get on my scale is about 6. My scale says 20% bf works measurements are 27 (outside of clothes) seems to be like the Navy calculation. Figure the scan will answer questions.

My boss just tried to get me to eat homemade cheesecake. I looked at it. It smelled wierd.

I'm cold. Why do I have to work today? My check engine light is still on. AutoZone confirmed it is gas cap crap. Dang EPA regs. They can not reset it by law. Oh well. Bet he would have if dh would have shown him his kitten. Haha. Trying so hard today to do NOTHING at work today.

If you read all of my ramblings, you're either pathetic, a true friend, or trying to ditch work like me.

Is it lunch time yet?

@Elise4270 I have had different measurements with every calculation method and scale / hand-held bio-electric impedance method, but my Omron scale is always the highest. When I had a Dexa scan in April, my scale that morning showed 16.1% body fat. When I mentioned to the person doing the scan that I use a scale, she was about to tell me about the inaccuracies of those scales and how they show a much lower result than the more accurate Dexa (I hadn't heard the results at this point). I told her it was 16.1% that morning, and that I noticed it was ALWAYS higher than anything else... at which point she cut past the standard lecture she was obviously about to give and gave me the Dexa result (15.8%).

I'm going to do another Dexa scan when I think I'm close to my goal of 10% body fat or towards the end of the year - whichever comes first.

Awesome numbers! That's nice to hear that yours was on the money.

I'm hoping mine is close. I'm studying up on recomp. Sounds like a solid way to lose and gain. Of course, that means I need to utilize my gym membership more... some... regularly. :cold_sweat:

Good luck on that 10%! I'll be tickled with 15-17%, (ok less than 20) Any advice on getting there?

The thing that worked best for me was to go extremely low carb. I started losing 5 times faster at the same calorie level when I first started low carb... after a year, I was experiencing a stall and decided to switch to low carb animal products only (except beverages such as coffee and some small amounts of condiments and spices). The carnivore diet worked wonderfully. With my recent backpacking trip, I let my nutrition go and ate a lot of nuts and peanuts. So I've put on some weight again and am not in as good of shape as I was in April when I had the testing done. I'm starting to switch back to a carnivorous diet now.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @karllundy great idea on the resume! I spent the last 7 hours in the garage unpacking stuff, moving stuff, making room for stuff and realizing my car my never see the inside of the garage again ha ha My neighbor has 2 huge sheds and a garage bigger than their house in the back certainly they have space for all my stuff ha ha

@pastorvincent love me some pork roll. I always put ketchup on my hot dogs and both ketchup and mustard on my cheeseburgers.

I love hot dogs I could eat them every single day. Best are from a vendor on the streets of NY yummy! Not fond of them if they are boiled, better broiled or grilled.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    To jump into the hot dog conversation, I only have them 2 or 3 times a year but mine have to be all beef, Kosher and with yellow mustard and spicy stadium mustard. Broiled or grilled please. Yummy.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Sorry to interrupt the hot dog conversation with some running, but I haven't got any hot dogs here to talk about. For the record, I like 'em best boiled. It's easiest to ask for Chicago Style around here, but back in the day, it always ketchup, mustard, relish and chopped raw onion. I don't like my bun toasted, either.

Like I said; interrupting the hot dog talk. Yesterday's 4 miles was outdoors. I gave the Mizuno Wave Universe 5's another try. After all, I've only got about half a toenail on my right big toe just now. The damaged bit from the last wear is pretty well grown out, and I'm clipped as short as feasible. I had also cut the stitching on the toecap. It wasn't enough. Even without socks, they're not really comfortable for more than 3 miles. I'll try additional modifications, but I'm not convinced that there's anything much I'll be able to do with them. It's a shame, since they are otherwise dreamy. They encourage me to go even faster than I ought to, though. Even with coming to a full stop for water breaks, I averaged 9:40 minutes per mile. I am of the school of thought that "the clock doesn't pause on race day." I was trying to go easy, but that's damn close to 10k pace.

Today's 7 miles, I wore my trusty Merrell Bare Access 4's and told the Garmin I wanted to run in Zone 2, please. So I ran until my watch buzzed, then walked until it buzzed again. Lots of walk breaks. About 1/3 of my total elapsed time. I can't actually run slow enough to be in Zone 2 and running. 2 minutes per mile slower than yesterday, though.

exercise.png

7/1 - 3.4 miles
    7/2 - 4 miles
    7/3 - 7 miles

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    July Running Totals (miles)
    7/1 – 14.00 paced run
    7/2 – 14.03 easy
    7/3 – 6.21 easy + 4 strides

July total to date – 34.24

Nominal Challenge Goal – 260 miles
    Real Goals: Stay healthy. Train toward Rochester Marathon. Pace Shoreline Half as close as possible to a 1:40 finish with even splits. Run Karknocker 5K in under 20 minutes.

Today's notes – Today's assignment was easy + 4 strides. Slept late, found time in the morning to actually go buy some sunscreen, and with one thing and another didn't get out on the road till about 4. The good news is, that delayed me till after the mail arrived, and my replacement HR monitor arrived in the mail. (estimated delivery, July 11-19) I'm glad to be back in a band that doesn't chafe, and doesn't lose contact if I wear it too long before I start running (as in, put on the HR monitor at home, drive to the group run or race, wait a while, and see fake reading high HRs till I sweat enough to make a good connection because the moisture I used when I put it on dried out.)

It was 80º F (27º C) when I started running, so I wanted to wear a singlet. And I could, because now I have sunscreen to use on my shoulder and rear underarm that are shaded by a tee. On the one hand, those areas don't look as fish belly white as they did earlier in the season. On the other hand, I have a race in the morning and I don't want to start it with a nagging soreness from sunburn. So the sunscreen went on, and it did its job. Will use it again tomorrow morning, which is supposed to be sunny and high UV index.

Today, I watched my heart rate. I kept seeing my HR in Zone 1 at paces that ought to be too fast for Zone 1. It didn't hit Zone 2 till the first hill, and I don't think it hit Zone 3 till I got to doing strides at the end of the run. There was some cardiac drift, and I ran much of mile 5 and the pre-strides part of mile 6 higher in Zone 1 than most of the run, with some crossing into Zone 2; but that's okay. I was feeling good.

Stretched, came in, and found that a frozen banana tastes great after a summer run. It was a nice day to just run a short easy distance, with the strides to remind me how to run faster for tomorrow morning.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 40:04
    May 27, 2017 Canandaigua Classic Half Marathon (Canandaigua, NY) finished in 1:33:06
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 5:44.90, PR for mile
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) finished in 19:32
    July 4, 2017 Firecracker Four Mile (Fairport, NY)
    July 15, 2017 Shoreline Half Marathon [1:40 pacer] (Hamlin, NY)
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    September 3, 2017 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY)
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • Elise4270
    Options
    I booked a dexa scan mid August. I was happy with my home scale numbers until work came up with different numbers, 8 pounds heavier (dressed and in steel toe boots). I don't know if my clothes really weighed that much. Best I get on my scale is about 6. My scale says 20% bf works measurements are 27 (outside of clothes) seems to be like the Navy calculation. Figure the scan will answer questions.

My boss just tried to get me to eat homemade cheesecake. I looked at it. It smelled wierd.

I'm cold. Why do I have to work today? My check engine light is still on. AutoZone confirmed it is gas cap crap. Dang EPA regs. They can not reset it by law. Oh well. Bet he would have if dh would have shown him his kitten. Haha. Trying so hard today to do NOTHING at work today.

If you read all of my ramblings, you're either pathetic, a true friend, or trying to ditch work like me.

Is it lunch time yet?

@Elise4270 I have had different measurements with every calculation method and scale / hand-held bio-electric impedance method, but my Omron scale is always the highest. When I had a Dexa scan in April, my scale that morning showed 16.1% body fat. When I mentioned to the person doing the scan that I use a scale, she was about to tell me about the inaccuracies of those scales and how they show a much lower result than the more accurate Dexa (I hadn't heard the results at this point). I told her it was 16.1% that morning, and that I noticed it was ALWAYS higher than anything else... at which point she cut past the standard lecture she was obviously about to give and gave me the Dexa result (15.8%).

I'm going to do another Dexa scan when I think I'm close to my goal of 10% body fat or towards the end of the year - whichever comes first.

Awesome numbers! That's nice to hear that yours was on the money.

I'm hoping mine is close. I'm studying up on recomp. Sounds like a solid way to lose and gain. Of course, that means I need to utilize my gym membership more... some... regularly. :cold_sweat:

Good luck on that 10%! I'll be tickled with 15-17%, (ok less than 20) Any advice on getting there?

The thing that worked best for me was to go extremely low carb. I started losing 5 times faster at the same calorie level when I first started low carb... after a year, I was experiencing a stall and decided to switch to low carb animal products only (except beverages such as coffee and some small amounts of condiments and spices). The carnivore diet worked wonderfully. With my recent backpacking trip, I let my nutrition go and ate a lot of nuts and peanuts. So I've put on some weight again and am not in as good of shape as I was in April when I had the testing done. I'm starting to switch back to a carnivorous diet now.

I'll keep that in mind. I plan on eating all the veggies I can stand with plenty of protein.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Thanks for joining me @HonuNui :)

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    07/01/17 :::: 8.1 :::: 8.1
    07/02/17 :::: 2.7 :::: 10.8
    07/03/17 :::: 3.4 :::: 14.2
    Goal = 110 miles

I went out for a walk with my Stella and decided midway to start running. The trail we were on was pretty challenging with roots and rocks, so it was slow going between that and the pokey little puppy, but it was kind of fun to do something a little different. Then I circled back to my house and dropped off the dog and finished up my run alone on a flat trail. Beautiful weather tonight!

Upcoming races
    7/1 to 7/31 Race to Cure Sarcoma - July miles to Team Kelly's Courage Runners
    10/1 Wineglass Half Marathon, Corning NY

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Well, I managed to run 4.5 miles today. Garmin was once again way behind the treadmill and thinks I only ran 4.3 miles. It's been badly underestimating my pace and heart rate lately. I know I got above 127 bpm but Garmin says that was my highest rate. Even on the bike when I was pedaling my heart out, it only registered like 120 bpm.

So I'm starting to wonder if maybe my Garmin is having issues. It seems to do okay when I'm outdoors, but not inside on the treadmill. Then again, I did have that really fast walking mile so maybe it's off there too? I don't know.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    WK 7.3.17 - 7.9.17

M - 4 m. plus Abdominal's and a walk.
    T -
    W -
    T -
    F -
    S -
    S -
    Total - running Miles * Goal is a 60 mile running week.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7/1 8 miles - forced early stop :(
    7/2 Forced rest day
    7/3 7 easy miles in high humidity

Summer Goal: Get my marathon pace below 9 minutes.
    Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

07/28/17 - Liberty Mile - 1 mile race just to see what a short run really is :)
    10/14/17 - Stop, Drop, and Run - Fireman style obstacle course - 5km

05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.

Still hoping to get up tomorrow and head out before the sun gets too hot and try for at least 3 hours on my feet. Not looking good with the humidity levels lately.

Nothing fancy to report on this run, save the AC is still not working in my home :frowning:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Re: Hot dogs... what have I started? :lol: I prefer my hot dogs Italian style like they serve on the boardwalks in NJ, but eh, mostly I just cook them occasionally due to simplicity and speed. All beef only. No HFCS or CS allowed. Getting harder to find, but can still be found.

@skippygirlsmom moved out of NJ over two decades ago.. so Pork Roll is a rare treat now. Pork Roll Egg and Cheese on a Cinamon Raisin bagel is my choice of poison. :)

• PastorVincent
    Options
    7/1 8 miles - forced early stop :(
    7/2 Forced rest day
    7/3 7 easy miles in high humidity

Summer Goal: Get my marathon pace below 9 minutes.
    Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

07/28/17 - Liberty Mile - 1 mile race just to see what a short run really is :)
    10/14/17 - Stop, Drop, and Run - Fireman style obstacle course - 5km

05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.

Still hoping to get up tomorrow and head out before the sun gets too hot and try for at least 3 hours on my feet. Not looking good with the humidity levels lately.

Nothing fancy to report on this run, save the AC is still not working in my home :frowning:

OH! Found a 5k I might sign up for. It has only 77 feet of elevation! Around these parts, that is practically like the entire race is downhill. Be a good race to try and PR on I think - and it is like 1.5 or so miles from my house. I could run there as my warm up. :) Just need to find the cash.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 when you say carnivorous are you one of those hardcore tip to tailers? I've been a keto runner since I started running but I admittedly have never gone that low. Have been seriously considering it against Whistler though...
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    July goal 100 miles

July 1.........4.1 miles..........MTD 4.1
    July 2.........3.0 miles......... MTD 7.1
    July 3.........5.0 miles..........MTD 12.1

Nice comfortable easy run in a light drizzle. I love running in the rain, so long as it is not pouring. Happy 4th to everyone.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Re: Hot dogs... what have I started? :lol: I prefer my hot dogs Italian style like they serve on the boardwalks in NJ, but eh, mostly I just cook them occasionally due to simplicity and speed. All beef only. No HFCS or CS allowed. Getting harder to find, but can still be found.

@skippygirlsmom moved out of NJ over two decades ago.. so Pork Roll is a rare treat now. Pork Roll Egg and Cheese on a Cinamon Raisin bagel is my choice of poison. :)

Whew! Glad you took the blame there :wink: I sure didn't start that mess. We should just all gather 'round the track/trail for a (virtual) cook out and toast our miles and kilometers!

Cheers Runners! No matter your dog/brat/no dog preference you are the best running mates! To Bangers!