July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @PastorVincent I love your "I'm not a doctor, I don't even play one on TV" type disclaimers- good thoughts re: knee issues and the impact of form!

JessicaMcB :smiley:

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I will be so jealous if you hit the 100, haha! I ordered the Nathan VaporAiress in the smallest size in the hopes it will stop my bounce issues. Should be here by Friday, I'll compare and contrast it with my Firestorm then :)

So somewhat off topic but my last few BP readings have run roughly 80/60. Does anyone else find their BP runs low running high volume/distance?

I have low bp normally that gets ever lower running even not-so-high volume. My doc tells me to check my pulse and if it's not high and I don't have any symptoms (ignoring dizzy when sitting/standing - postural hypotension), not to worry. She says to drink more water and get extra sodium, which does seem to help within a day. If I have other symptoms or a high pulse, then a visit to the doc is in order.

@RunRachelleRun I noticed unusually low HR recently when it should have been much higher. I thought my Garmin must have been broken, but later read that dehydration can cause a decreased HR. Perhaps that has something to do with it?
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I see people are progressing! I cannot since we have really high temps here. I also want to welcome some new-entries to this forum. Running is the key to success :wink:

Guys, I bought the fenix 3 garmin GPS watch and I wanted to ask you if someone is already using it and what should I be carefull about (any cons?). Can I use the HR strap I have from my previous garmin watch with the fenix?

Many tnx
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    7/1 4mi 39:56min
    7/2 rest
    7/3 6mi 56:06min

Enjoying running in cooler weather. My friend back in Virginia said it is like running in someone's armpit - lol. I'm not looking forward to the hot humid weather when I get home!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    7/1 = gym day: 1 hour strength training
    7/2 = 13 miles with running group (run/walk)
    7/3 = 7.5 miles and 30 minutes strength training
    7/4 = Vinyasa yoga class

7.5 hot & humid miles and 30 minutes at the gym doing strength training. Tomorrow is yoga day in the morning and BBQ diet cheat day in the afternoon. I will not be logging on so I wish all my USA peeps a happy 4th! See you Wednesday, in a hundred or so posts from now. :)

(July miles to date) 20.7/170 (July goal miles)

Upcoming 2017 Races:
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    11/23 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    12/10 = BCS Half Marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I will be so jealous if you hit the 100, haha! I ordered the Nathan VaporAiress in the smallest size in the hopes it will stop my bounce issues. Should be here by Friday, I'll compare and contrast it with my Firestorm then :)

So somewhat off topic but my last few BP readings have run roughly 80/60. Does anyone else find their BP runs low running high volume/distance?

I have low bp normally that gets ever lower running even not-so-high volume. My doc tells me to check my pulse and if it's not high and I don't have any symptoms (ignoring dizzy when sitting/standing - postural hypotension), not to worry. She says to drink more water and get extra sodium, which does seem to help within a day. If I have other symptoms or a high pulse, then a visit to the doc is in order.

@RunRachelleRun I noticed unusually low HR recently when it should have been much higher. I thought my Garmin must have been broken, but later read that dehydration can cause a decreased HR. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

Dehydration can be a HUGE part of it... I have enough experience with heat exhaustion to say hydration and knowing your body's needs is very important.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note (130+ posts behind already - house renovation recovery!): Atlanta Track Club has already posted "red flag" warnings for the Peachtree tomorrow ("high temps and high humidity = make sure you hydrate starting today"). Umm - duh? I'll grant that there may be SOME newbies in the 60K runners tomorrow, but 99.9% of us either have run it before or train in Georgia, and understand that July in Atlanta is hot and muggy. I'm guessing it's been that way for 70+% of ALL the Peachtree outings. Most of us have been hydrating like crazy for about a month and a half, if we've been training AT ALL in Georgia weather (except for those few folks up in the mountains).

Yes, caution (especially in a deeply litigious society) is not a bad thing, but srsly?
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Running in higher temperatures may also cause lower HRs in order to keep the body from overheating. I did a lot of research before deciding to continue running this summer and learned about the side effects of running in high heat and humidity. I wanted to be as prepared as possible! Also, higher Temps plus lower HR can a equal slower pace. Not an expert, but I know a few, lol!
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I see people are progressing! I cannot since we have really high temps here. I also want to welcome some new-entries to this forum. Running is the key to success :wink:

Many tnx

Yep! It's hot out there. Yesterday was 85F with a Real Feel of 110F during my run time. Where was I? On the dreadmill, watching too many episodes of Supergirl!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I booked a dexa scan mid August. I was happy with my home scale numbers until work came up with different numbers, 8 pounds heavier (dressed and in steel toe boots). I don't know if my clothes really weighed that much. Best I get on my scale is about 6. My scale says 20% bf works measurements are 27 (outside of clothes) seems to be like the Navy calculation. Figure the scan will answer questions.

My boss just tried to get me to eat homemade cheesecake. I looked at it. It smelled wierd.

I'm cold. Why do I have to work today? My check engine light is still on. AutoZone confirmed it is gas cap crap. Dang EPA regs. They can not reset it by law. Oh well. Bet he would have if dh would have shown him his kitten. Haha. Trying so hard today to do NOTHING at work today.

If you read all of my ramblings, you're either pathetic, a true friend, or trying to ditch work like me.

Is it lunch time yet?

If you weighed yourself with out clothes when you first got up, that will be the lowest weight of the day. You can easily eat/drink 2 pounds of food then add your 6 pounds of clothes and get that 8 pounds.

And I read your post while chewing on a hot dog, so I say yes to lunch time. :)

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I booked a dexa scan mid August. I was happy with my home scale numbers until work came up with different numbers, 8 pounds heavier (dressed and in steel toe boots). I don't know if my clothes really weighed that much. Best I get on my scale is about 6. My scale says 20% bf works measurements are 27 (outside of clothes) seems to be like the Navy calculation. Figure the scan will answer questions.

My boss just tried to get me to eat homemade cheesecake. I looked at it. It smelled wierd.

I'm cold. Why do I have to work today? My check engine light is still on. AutoZone confirmed it is gas cap crap. Dang EPA regs. They can not reset it by law. Oh well. Bet he would have if dh would have shown him his kitten. Haha. Trying so hard today to do NOTHING at work today.

If you read all of my ramblings, you're either pathetic, a true friend, or trying to ditch work like me.

Is it lunch time yet?

If you weighed yourself with out clothes when you first got up, that will be the lowest weight of the day. You can easily eat/drink 2 pounds of food then add your 6 pounds of clothes and get that 8 pounds.

And I read your post while chewing on a hot dog, so I say yes to lunch time. :)

Thanks! What's on the dog? Mustard, onions, kraut?
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options

Is it lunch time yet?

I have had my weight fluctuate about 4 pounds during a day so I am thinking it is normal.

Love the ramblings, not sure which category I would fall under, but leaning towards trying to ditch work.

And yes it is lunch time here LOL. About to run down to the cafeteria so I can eat before my one o'clock meetings begin otherwise I will be having a "hangry" afternoon.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options

I don't know if dehydration can cause low hr, but it does contribute to low bp in my experience. Doc said the rise in heart rate with low bp can indicate something amiss. My Garmin does act up on occasion, so it may be your Garmin lol I suspect it has something to do with sweat (too much/too little?), but I have to wipe the skin and move the Garmin around to get a proper reading again within a few minutes.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Atlanta Track Club has already posted "red flag" warnings for the Peachtree tomorrow ("high temps and high humidity = make sure you hydrate starting today"). Umm - duh? I'll grant that there may be SOME newbies in the 60K runners tomorrow, but 99.9% of us either have run it before or train in Georgia, and understand that July in Atlanta is hot and muggy.

@9voice9 - Well, lawyers don't have to be runners. There was a similar announcement about hydration before Medved 5K to Cure ALS; it was humid, but not terribly hot. And my church put me on the prayer chain for running in the heat and humidity. My take was, it's a 5K. How dehydrated am I going to get in 20 minutes?

But then I saw some of the deconditioned people who needed to walk much of the course, and may have needed 40 minutes to an hour to do that 5K. Yeah, the hydration warnings are important for those people.
    I booked a dexa scan mid August. I was happy with my home scale numbers until work came up with different numbers, 8 pounds heavier (dressed and in steel toe boots). I don't know if my clothes really weighed that much.

@Elise4270 - Don't know about your foot size, but when I was wearing steel toe boots in 1996, I weighed them. They weighed 2 lbs, per foot. So that's half of your 8 pound difference, just in footwear. It's pretty easy to believe you could have 4 pounds of other clothing.