July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @Zac1644 I'm going to suggest that you do less running until you can run without the accompanying pain. You can still do other cardio work but you may need to give your body time to adjust to running. Walking, bicycling and elliptical machine allow you to build up some of the same muscles without as much stress on your body. You'll be able to run more when you body is ready. Once you do make small incremental changes to the amount of running you do each week if your in pain again cut back.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Let me add not to try running too fast. A slow comfortable pace is good until you establish yourself.
  • Zac1644
    Zac1644 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @Zac1644 I'm going to suggest that you do less running until you can run without the accompanying pain. You can still do other cardio work but you may need to give your body time to adjust to running. Walking, bicycling and elliptical machine allow you to build up some of the same muscles without as much stress on your body. You'll be able to run more when you body is ready. Once you do make small incremental changes to the amount of running you do each week if your in pain again cut back.

Thank you! I've actually been doing that, mixing it up with both my bike on trails and the elliptical yesterday. I guess I should say it's not so much pain as it is an irritant. Then again I've been used to "blocking out" pain for so long that I'm sure this is my bodies way of telling me to slow down haha. Slow and steady wins the race :)

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I will be so jealous if you hit the 100, haha! I ordered the Nathan VaporAiress in the smallest size in the hopes it will stop my bounce issues. Should be here by Friday, I'll compare and contrast it with my Firestorm then :)

So somewhat off topic but my last few BP readings have run roughly 80/60. Does anyone else find their BP runs low running high volume/distance?

• KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Zac1644 wrote: »
    New to the Message Board and I'm in the military, ...I'm going to start small this month and say 70 miles. Any tips/tricks for knee pain/shin splints? !

Welcome and Thank you for serving. Avoid running on concrete and cement. Get fitted by a real running store for a shoe. I began taking Osteo Bi-Flex Triple Strength about 6 months ago, and placebo affect or not, I swear by it for my 51 year old and prior obese, knees.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Thought about that, thought about being on a run that would normally be a 2-gel run, and I started the next series of 3 bloks at 10.1 miles. By then I was used to the bloks and they were a nice flavor to have along; it took me 2.7 miles to go through the other 3 bloks. I think I see the point. My sister's protocol would essentially have me continually refueling, with small parts of a mile between finishing one blok and starting the next. And even with no practice, there was no sticky mess on my hands like there will be if I mess up how I do a gel.

On the other hand, I suspect the Shot Bloks would be a bit like marbles in the winter. I probably won't go out and buy more, but I might experiment with them more if I find more freebies.

@MobyCarp I have started running using the Shot Blok instead of Gu Gel myself. Have done two runs with them. What I tried was eating a serving of them when I would have consumed a gel. So 3 Bloks every 45 mins or so. That worked okay on the run I tried it, but I wonder about dehydration later in a run. How hard would they be to chew and swallow 15 or 20 miles in? I would have found out in my 20 mile run yesterday had that run not blown up in my face.

I have considered 1 Blok every 15 minutes. That would be closer to 1 every other mile but easier for me to track since I can just say to my watch "set timer 15 minutes" and presto I have a timer. That is what I do for taking the SCaps every 60 mins now. To easy to forget otherwise.

Buying them locally at Dicks Sporting Goods, they are about $1.50 per serving (2 servings per container). A Gu Gel is what? $1.30 per gel? So they are a little more expensive. So far I find I like them far better for usablity but until I can get out to do a 20+ mile run I will not know how well they work as a replacement.

So far I am a fan, but still testing.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Aw, thank you @Orphia. I didn't want to pressure anyone to sign up, but if you do want to, I have a team called Kelly's Courage Runners that you can join.

https://runsignup.com/Race/Register/RaceGroup-384906?raceId=47651
    @katharmonic I would like to join too, if you don't mind?

@cburke8909 All the best for your new training plan!
    I recently started reading about the FIRST training plans too (just bought the Runner's World book about it) - they are crazy intense, and hitting the prescribed paces in all workouts is no joke!
    I might give it a shot for my next half marathon, since I'm determined to do strength training at least twice per week & cycle at least twice per week too, so a plan with five runs per week won't work for me anymore right now. But I'm don't think I'd use it for a marathon, especially not for my first.

@amymoreorless Ugh, 100% humidity? I'd take rain over that any day. Kudos on running 13mi in that!

@Zac1644 Welcome! I hope you figure out how to deal with the knee pain and shin splints. Stretching & Strengthening the supporting muscles might help. (even though strength training isn't nearly as fun as running :wink: )

@JessicaMcB I'm in awe off your training plan :o
    I hope you like your new vest - I've got the Nathan Firecatcher race vest and like it a lot.

---

1.7.17 - 10.9km running (6x800m intervals with warm-up and cool-down)
    2.7.17 - 30km bike, 20min "quick strength for runners"
    --
    10.9km of 150km done
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    New to the Message Board and I'm in the military, and between the constant running for the past 6 years in boots and heavy gear my knees and shins are in terrible shape, however I've been slacking and put too much weight on so I'm trying to get back to running long distances (soccer player) like I did in the past. I'm going to start small this month and say 70 miles. Any tips/tricks for knee pain/shin splints? I've used KT Tape in the past but wasn't completely sold on it. I'm also in shoes "fitted for my running style" but even that hasn't completely made the pain disappear.

Anyway sorry to ramble, thanks so much in advance!

Welcome to the thread!

As someone mentioned above, try to get to a professional running store and get properly fitted for shoes. That could help a lot. Shoes bought this way may cost a bit more than you are used to spending where you get them, so be ready for sticker shock.

Also, as mentioned above, go SLOW AND EASY until you get this worked out. Pushing hard now can only lead to making things worse.

Also, if you can get access to a physical therapist, or athletic trainer has them look you over. Sometimes they can really work magic.

Also, check how your foot is landing. If you are landing heel first, that can cause extra stress on the knees. Try to land mid or forefoot, and try to land gently. Many people stomp when they run and that can be bad and can lead to trouble. You want as much as your momentum moving forward, not down, as you can. Running should be as relaxed as possible.

NOW I AM NOT A DOCTOR. So take all those comments as untrustworthy. :) I only can speak to my reading and that might be bad. Always seek professional medical advice.

• Zac1644
    Zac1644 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    @KeepRunningFatboy - I despise running on concrete and try to run trails as much as possible, I don't find much relief on treadmills either, so I understand that, I'll have to look into that Ostio Bi-Flex! Thank you!

@_nikkiwolf_ thank you so much! I've read that stretching really does wonders for you so I'm going to have to do more of that and actually look into proper stretching as I'm sure my attempts are half a#@*#& haha!

I'll second the thought that strength training isn't nearly as fun as running! BORRRRINNNNGGGG hahah

@PastorVincent wow thank you, that's a ton of great info! I am in a shoe designed for my running style per the running store clerk, and I'm most certainly a heel striker. How does one even run mid to front footed....I've tried the concept and the only way I don't land on my heel is if I'm sprinting and running on my toes.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    All right. I said I'd be back for July, and here I am. I can't decide if 200 is too many miles, or if 150 isn't enough - so I'm going to split the difference and aim for 175.

I made a poor start of it yesterday, with 3.4 miles. DH and I wanted to see Despicable M3, but he had plans for the afternoon, so at 9, he told me he wanted to catch the 10:40 show. I hustled to lace up and get 'er done, thinking I had time for 5 miles. Got on the treadmill and got everything started just fine, but the music cut out on my phone at mile 3.4 and I tried to jiggle all the wires to make better connections, and only succeeded in knocking my water bottle off the ledge beside me onto the moving treadmill belt where I barely dodged it. Never did get the music back together. With time being short, I decided that would have to do. I've got plenty of time to catch up an extra mile and a half. So here we go...

exercise.png

7/1 - 3.4 miles
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Feeling kind of down on running lately, mostly because of my stupid hip. Plus today I'm just super exhausted. Not sure if it's going to happen today. Maybe I just need a weekend off. I don't know.

It's also really hot today and I'm busy until after dinner, so if it's going to happen today, it'll have to be at the gym, in the evening. I'll be even more tired by then. Ugh. I don't know.

July is shaping up to be a *kitten* month for running. My motivation is crap due to the hip pain and just being kind of bored with the whole thing. Doesn't help that my depression is acting up. Maybe I'll try changing it up this month... elliptical or bike or something. I don't have access to a pool, and I swim like crap so that's not an option. But I have to keep active because my medication gives me an enormous appetite and I can't afford to gain weight. Blah,
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent wow thank you, that's a ton of great info! I am in a shoe designed for my running style per the running store clerk, and I'm most certainly a heel striker. How does one even run mid to front footed....I've tried the concept and the only way I don't land on my heel is if I'm sprinting and running on my toes.

I am no expert, but it really is a bit more complex than just heel striking. Most runners heel strike. The problem comes from a more complete picture of stride. Here is some reading for you:

https://runnersconnect.net/heelstriking-running-cadence/

http://www.runnersworld.com/run-faster/proper-running-form

The short takeaway is that most amateur runners overstride and that leads to knee issues. Shorten your stride so that your foot lands under your knee and not in front of it. Do not think "reaching out" with your leg. Think more putting down and picking up. You can do high knees slowly to force yourself to think about your stride. Try to step lightly. The more force in which you hit the ground, the less you have to move forward, and the more that is directed up into your knees.

A running coach or athletic trainer can help with this. There are many online that if you send a video of yourself running to them they will offer advice. I have not worked with, so can not recommend any, but see them advertised all the time.

NOW I AM NOT A DOCTOR. So take all those comments as untrustworthy. :) I only can speak to my reading and that might be bad. Always seek professional medical advice.
  • LittleMissWonderWoman
    LittleMissWonderWoman Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    7/1 - 3.28
    Goal = 93 miles

The humidity got to me yesterday and likely will today. I'm not a fan of running at night but, I find I'm at my best at that time.