July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @midwesterner85 when you say carnivorous are you one of those hardcore tip to tailers? I've been a keto runner since I started running but I admittedly have never gone that low. Have been seriously considering it against Whistler though...

@JessicaMcB Tip to tailer? I'm not sure what that is... I just find that the extreme low carbs from eating [almost] exclusively meat, eggs, and reasonable levels of low carb dairy works very well for energy levels, weight loss, and (most importantly) BG / diabetes management (I'm a type 1).
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 when you say carnivorous are you one of those hardcore tip to tailers? I've been a keto runner since I started running but I admittedly have never gone that low. Have been seriously considering it against Whistler though...

@JessicaMcB Tip to tailer? I'm not sure what that is... I just find that the extreme low carbs from eating [almost] exclusively meat, eggs, and reasonable levels of low carb dairy works very well for energy levels, weight loss, and (most importantly) BG / diabetes management (I'm a type 1).

Tip to tail is basically what is considered the most micronutritionally solid form of "zero" carbing in the keto circles I run in- so you are eating a lot of organ meats, etc. in addition to standard meat fare for best nutrition and nothing else. Has always seemed on the intense side for me but the few people I know of who practice it are lean af.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Main goal is to survive the Eugene Curnow Trail marathon and get more time on feet.
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 100? Maybe I'll be a @PastorVincent and set my goal at the end of the month

7/1- 11
    7/2- REST/Family day
    7/3- REST/Family Day
    7/4- 6

Total: 17

Today's notes. Got in 6 Sweaty humid trail miles in.

Average pace was like 10:21, but I kept my average HR under 160, which is my nominal goal for trail/long runs, so I'm pretty pleased with that. Only got 355 feet of elevation, but that's OK, it was a humid run!

Today, I went "Ultra Mode," in that I walked 90% of the uphills, even smaller ones. This really helped my endurance. Even though I stopped at 6, I felt like I could have done the whole run again. Starting to feel more normal, and walking hills and taking it easy really seems to help. Good for the mindset too. I'll never finish an ultra going "fast"

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 50k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Happy Fourth of July. 4 miles stayed in my zones. 20.5 for month.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Main goal is to survive the Eugene Curnow Trail marathon and get more time on feet.
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 100? Maybe I'll be a @PastorVincent and set my goal at the end of the month

6/1- 11
    6/2- REST/Family day
    6/3- REST/Family Day
    6/4- 6

@MNLittleFinn - Hey - it's July now, lol!

@shanaber - Happy Anniversary - enjoy your weekend!

Now - out into the incredibly hot humid weather (because I just could not get out of bed at the appropriate running time) to get in a run. Probably going to listen to Hamilton soundtrack today - great for the 4th! If you haven't tried it - it is pretty good for longer runs since it has a good beat and story to keep you distracted. Have a great 4th of July!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

6/1- 11
    6/2- REST/Family day
    6/3- REST/Family Day
    6/4- 6

@MNLittleFinn - Hey - it's July now, lol!

@shanaber - Happy Anniversary - enjoy your weekend!

Now - out into the incredibly hot humid weather (because I just could not get out of bed at the appropriate running time) to get in a run. Probably going to listen to Hamilton soundtrack today - great for the 4th! If you haven't tried it - it is pretty good for longer runs since it has a good beat and story to keep you distracted. Have a great 4th of July!

Yeah... I have a hard time with those number thongs...lol
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Welcome @hartlinet! Sounds like you have some great goals.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    07/01/17 :::: 8.1 :::: 8.1
    07/02/17 :::: 2.7 :::: 10.8
    07/03/17 :::: 3.4 :::: 14.2
    07/04/17 :::: 3.6 :::: 17.8
    Goal = 110 miles

A beautiful 4th of July morning! Walked the dog and then went for run with my main running friend - we haven't run for a couple of weeks so had much to catch up on and the time just flew by. Love when a run goes like that. Not sure what the rest of the day will bring, but right now enjoying sitting outside and soaking in this lovely weather. I bought beer and cheese on the way home, so at least that much is covered. :)

Upcoming races
    7/1 to 7/31 Race to Cure Sarcoma - July miles to Team Kelly's Courage Runners
    10/1 Wineglass Half Marathon, Corning NY
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    7/1 4mi 39:56min
    7/2 rest
    7/3 6mi 56:06min
    7/4 7mi 67:36min

Happy 4th of July! Got my 7 mile run in - started at 8am and it was a beautiful 63 degrees. Hopped on the rails to trails bike path near my sister's house and was happy to see lots of people on the trail today.

Sadly, I need to find new headphones. I think I'll go the wireless, blue tooth route... any recommendations would be appreciated.
  • hartlinet
    hartlinet Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @hartlinet testing my ticker
    exercise.png
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Tip to tail is basically what is considered the most micronutritionally solid form of "zero" carbing in the keto circles I run in- so you are eating a lot of organ meats, etc. in addition to standard meat fare for best nutrition and nothing else. Has always seemed on the intense side for me but the few people I know of who practice it are lean af.

No, I try to avoid organ meats... meat has small amounts of carbs from glycogen, but liver is way too high carb for me.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Orphia My last visit to the hip doc they thought it was nerve entrapment due to tight muscles. I've been stretching the kitten out of it, and it is better.

My psoas seems overly tight and there's another I'm not sure what it is, I suspect the obturator internus or one or both of the gemellus muscles (deep gluteal muscles). I wish I could remember the nerve branch he reference. I need to add some yoga. Classes here are too fast paced for me. Maybe I can find a DVD.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    July Running Totals (miles)
    7/1 – 14.00 paced run
    7/2 – 14.03 easy
    7/3 – 6.21 easy + 4 strides
    7/4 – 8.07 warm up + 4 mile race

July total to date – 42.31

Nominal Challenge Goal – 260 miles
    Real Goals: Stay healthy. Train toward Rochester Marathon. Pace Shoreline Half as close as possible to a 1:40 finish with even splits. Run Karknocker 5K in under 20 minutes.

Today's notes – Happy US Independence Day!

There are a lot of races on the 4th of July in the United States. In 6 years of being a runner, this is the first year I've run one. In 2012, 2013, and 2014 I sat out the summer injured. In 2015, I was burned out from running 4 races in June, and a 4th of July race just didn't sound fun. In 2016, I made the major blunder of running a hilly half marathon 6 days after running Boston, and I wasn't back in shape to run a race by July 4. It's kind of ironic that the first July 4 I'm retired is also the first July 4 I managed to run a race on the holiday.

The forecast was for the temperature to rise from the high 50s at 7 to around 70 by 9. Gun time is at 8. My plan was to arrive by 7, run a preview of the course as a warmup, then run the race at 8. This particular race is not important, so the plan was to see how I felt this morning and run accordingly.

Garmin reports 61º F (16º C) with 88% relative humidity for my warm up, and 63º F (17º C) with 88% relative humidity for the race, with 5 mph SW wind for both. The wind sounds about right, but it felt like there was a bigger temperature difference between 7 AM and 8 AM. The warmup was a nice run, felt cool but humid. Paid attention to where the hills were; the significant ones crested at 0.9 miles and 1.6 miles. There was some up and down after that, but nothing major. The slope up toward the finish is right on the borderline between what I'd call an incline and what I'd call uphill, but it's really noticeable at the end of a race where you want to put on a finish line kick.

Noticed I was running my warmup a bit fast; it came in at an average pace of 7:20 per mile. That's more like marathon pace than easy, but my HR seemed to be okay with it, only into Zone 3 for 29 seconds and in Zone 2 for 52% of the time. I took this to be an indication I could have a good race.

Got lined up, and looked around. I didn't see anyone I recognized as a likely race winner. Where are the fast guys? Probably at the 5K in the next town to the west. Oh, well. Don't worry about it. Just run the race.

Start out, and it takes a few hundred meters to sort things out. I see there are quite a few runners ahead of me. Can't count them, but maybe 30 or 40? Some look like novices who will fade, but the ones further out look like serious runners. No matter. This race isn't important. I will win my age group even if I slack off, because Bill isn't running it and there isn't anyone else local who is over 60 and can hold a 7 minute pace for 4 miles.

On the way up the second hill, a guy passes me. He has a boom box belt on, and the speakers are pointed to the rear. I'm not terribly fond of the music that is playing. That would be no problem if he would just run away from me, but he doesn't. So I'm motivated to catch and pass him, so I don't hear the music. We trade places a couple times. In mile 3, I tell him he is a rarity, someone who passes me going uphill but I catch on the downhill. Most of the time, it's the other way around.

I end up passing him for the last time somewhere in mile 4. At this point, I notice there are several runners who seem to fade after 3 miles. Maybe they're used to the 5K distance, and haven't figured out how to slow down just a little for a 4 mile race so they can last? Whatever. I'm running pretty well at this point, and I think I have a chance to break 26 minutes.

Get to that late incline. I have a finish line kick left, and I put the hammer down. Run up the incline, across the finish line, and collect a bottle of water. Garmin says 25:42, which turns out to match the official time. The guy with the boom box finishes 10 seconds behind me. I haven't had to listen to the music for almost a mile, so that's cool.

Check the results. I was 16th overall (later learn that there were 697 total finishers) and 1st in the M 60-64 age group (later learn that there were 16 in the age group). Look at the awards, which are pretty curved glass plaques:

eaazaqb5ex7n.jpg

I've already got several curved glass plaques for other races. The design on these is nice, but it isn't an important race. I make the executive decision that I'd rather leave early than hang around for the awards ceremony to get my plaque. Hence, the picture; I don't need another plaque collecting dust in my hutch, and ultimately going into my recycle bin.

This is the first time I've made a conscious decision that an age group award isn't worth waiting for. I begin to understand why there are so many no-shows at the awards ceremony. It's not just people who didn't know they won anything.

My right Achilles muttered at me as I was driving home. Gave it some cone touches, and it quieted down. It had muttered early this morning as well. Oh, yeah. I did some hard strides at the end of yesterday's run. It seems that Achilles doesn't like the very hard stuff, repeats at R pace, strides, and that finish line kick up an incline. I'll have to watch the volume of stuff like that I do. Might end up skipping some of the 4x200 at R segments of future speed workouts.

I can't say I met my goals for this race, because I didn't set any goals. But it was a fun race today, a nice substitute for the speed workout that would have been scheduled for this evening if it weren't a holiday.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 40:04
    May 27, 2017 Canandaigua Classic Half Marathon (Canandaigua, NY) finished in 1:33:06
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 5:44.90, PR for mile
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) finished in 19:32
    July 4, 2017 Firecracker Four Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 25:42
    July 15, 2017 Shoreline Half Marathon [1:40 pacer] (Hamlin, NY)
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    September 3, 2017 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY)
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I need to add some yoga. Classes here are too fast paced for me. Maybe I can find a DVD.

I do yin yoga, which is basically "pretzel yourself into a pose, then hold it forever," which is great for me because I'm naturally pretty flexible and it takes me so long to figure out what my body ought to be doing that by the time I get it, a regular class is already five poses further along. There are a bunch of yin classes on YouTube.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I need to add some yoga. Classes here are too fast paced for me. Maybe I can find a DVD.

I do yin yoga, which is basically "pretzel yourself into a pose, then hold it forever," which is great for me because I'm naturally pretty flexible and it takes me so long to figure out what my body ought to be doing that by the time I get it, a regular class is already five poses further along. There are a bunch of yin classes on YouTube.

Thanks so much for that information! That sounds just like what I'm looking for!