July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    After taking the scissors to my Mizuno's, I am pleased to report that they no longer threaten my toenails. They feel wierd AF to wear with my toes hanging out, but I am confident that a little more crafting can improve them even more. I plan to add a slightly larger patch to each toe than the fabric I cut out - I just haven't decided if I want to use a wildly contrasting fabric, or try to disguise the fact that I'm modifying my shoes.

pictures. Feed the shoe envy....

All right. Here goes...
    zqo37yvhduoc.jpg

5 assorted pair of Merrell Bare Access Arc 3, Arc 4, and Trail - The black and silver ones are my birthday present from my hubby for this year (we're celebrating early, so we can enjoy our presents all summer) and the purple and turquoise ones are my present to myself. Both arrived today. 1 pair of Brooks Glycerin (good for up to 6 miles before the heel cup shreds my ankle) and my modified, too-small Mizuno Wave Universe 5's with my toe hanging out. I've been running for over 6 years, now, and I've only thrown out 1 pair of shoes - I wore completely through the soles of my first pair of Bare Access Arc 3's. They were exactly the same as the black/silver pair. There's also a pair of New Balance something or other floating around here somewhere that corrects for over-pronation - They've been worn, like, 4 times and I hate how it feels like I'm running on the edges of the world's longest speed-bump.

exercise.png

7/1 - 3.4 miles
    7/2 - 4 miles
    7/3 - 7 miles
    7/4 - 4.25 miles
    7/5 - 8 miles
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @angiemarie28 I would advise eating as much good food carbs as you can stand. Bananas, whole grain breads, corn, potatoes, apple etc. You probably aren't much of a junk food person and starting now isn't prudent. Next time you should test your carbo load for one of your training long runs and see if what you use is accepted by your system. Beware I hated my last load. I just plain did not like my blood sugar being so high but it did benefit me come race day.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 - I have used the online videos at https://www.doyogawithme.com/
    They have routines specific to running like Injury Prevention and Pre-Run:
    https://www.doyogawithme.com/content/yoga-runners-injury-prevention
    https://www.doyogawithme.com/content/yoga-runners-pre-run

I especially like this one for hips and hamstrings:
    https://www.doyogawithme.com/content/deep-release-hips-hamstrings-and-lower-back

They are free to watch online, you can pay for the DVD, pay to download on video or you can download the entire program and pay what you can or feel is fair. Also they have different levels. I think the running ones I have used are beginner.
  • cburke8909
    Options
    Got my strength training in this afternoon. I have only missed one day this week. Trying to eat fewer calories do I can eliminate more weight. Going good so far. I think if I can shed 5 to 10 more pounds before my marathon, I will have a much better time.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @angiemarie28 I would advise eating as much good food carbs as you can stand. Bananas, whole grain breads, corn, potatoes, apple etc. You probably aren't much of a junk food person and starting now isn't prudent. Next time you should test your carbo load for one of your training long runs and see if what you use is accepted by your system. Beware I hated my last load. I just plain did not like my blood sugar being so high but it did benefit me come race day.

I do not carb load, but I do try to up my salt intake a few days before a big race. I am skeptical that either matters as much as running magazines like to say it does, but then again skeptical is kind of my natural state.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    WK 7.3.17 - 7.9.17

M - 4 m. plus Abdominal's and a walk.
    T - 15.2 m.
    W - 10.7 m.
    T -
    F -
    S -
    S -
    Total - running Miles * Goal is a 60 mile running week.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,804 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @cburke8909 and @_nikkiwolf_ thank you, I'm not ratting crappy food, I used to be a chip aholic but now I eat quite healthy and can not stomach anything fried, so I have apples, bananas, Rita chips, ritz bitz, whole wheat bread, gatorade, pretzels, pastry crisps and pasta makings, and cherry slices (the gummy candy), oatmeal, and some other stuff, but after pre logging my intake tomorrow, I'm only at 200g carbs, I think if I eat more, I'll puke
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @Elise4270 - I have used the online videos at https://www.doyogawithme.com/
    They have routines specific to running like Injury Prevention and Pre-Run:
    https://www.doyogawithme.com/content/yoga-runners-injury-prevention
    https://www.doyogawithme.com/content/yoga-runners-pre-run

I especially like this one for hips and hamstrings:
    https://www.doyogawithme.com/content/deep-release-hips-hamstrings-and-lower-back

They are free to watch online, you can pay for the DVD, pay to download on video or you can download the entire program and pay what you can or feel is fair. Also they have different levels. I think the running ones I have used are beginner.

Thanks! I have yet to make food on any yoga goals. I'm still tackling the cooking/shopping/planning part. But... I will get after some yoga today or tomorrow.
  • cburke8909
    Options
    @angmarie28 might I then suggest do what you can and hope it's enough. @PastorVincent has a point the carb loading may be overrated. You're eating more carbs and that will have a benefit but if you can't do more you may not need to.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @angmarie28 might I then suggest do what you can and hope it's enough. @PastorVincent has a point the carb loading may be overrated. You're eating more carbs and that will have a benefit but if you can't do more you may not need to.

@angmarie28 , in the end, listen to your body. If your body says ENOUGH! Then it is probably enough. IMO, YMMV, and all that
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    July Running Totals (miles)
    7/1 – 14.00 paced run
    7/2 – 14.03 easy
    7/3 – 6.21 easy + 4 strides
    7/4 – 8.07 warm up + 4 mile race
    7/5 – 7.40 group run

July total to date – 49.71

Nominal Challenge Goal – 260 miles
    Real Goals: Stay healthy. Train toward Rochester Marathon. Pace Shoreline Half as close as possible to a 1:40 finish with even splits. Run Karknocker 5K in under 20 minutes.

Today's notes – Today was warm, but it had moderated to 82º F (28º C) by the time I ran, per Garmin. It felt a bit warmer, but that might just be a reaction because I ran when it was reasonably cool yesterday morning. With the humidity around 50%, the group took it pretty easy this evening, and the run came in at an average pace of 8:24 per mile per Garmin, or 8:18 per mile after Strava strips out non-moving time. Only had one full mile come in faster than 8 minutes, and that was okay by me today. It was supposed to be an easy run, even if I did feel like ending it in a stride across the parking lot.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 40:04
    May 27, 2017 Canandaigua Classic Half Marathon (Canandaigua, NY) finished in 1:33:06
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 5:44.90, PR for mile
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) finished in 19:32
    July 4, 2017 Firecracker Four Mile (Fairport, NY) finished in 25:42
    July 15, 2017 Shoreline Half Marathon [1:40 pacer] (Hamlin, NY)
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    September 3, 2017 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY)
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @angemarie23 - you could try adding tart cherry juice. While I am very skeptical about the science behind this, there are reports (again, wouldn't call them studies) that showed better results in runners who consumed several glasses of tart cherry juice for a few weeks before long races. The tart cherries are supposed to help decrease inflammation and improve recovery. Whether or not it works, it is a tasty way to get a high carb macro without filling you up.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    @angemarie23 - you could try adding tart cherry juice. While I am very skeptical about the science behind this, there are reports (again, wouldn't call them studies) that showed better results in runners who consumed several glasses of tart cherry juice for a few weeks before long races. The tart cherries are supposed to help decrease inflammation and improve recovery. Whether or not it works, it is a tasty way to get a high carb macro without filling you up.

Since cherry juice is regularly recommended for treating the symptoms of gout, it makes sense that it would have anti-inflammatory properties.