July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @pastorvincent where in NJ? I grew up in Lake Parsippany, but lived my adult life in Brick and Beachwood. I moved to Alabama 10 years ago. @stoshew71 is also a Jersey transplant. BTW you can buy pork roll online I did that when I first moved here. jerseyporkroll.com or believe it or not on Amazon ha ha
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

Elise4270 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent yuck! *Northerners* ketchup? I had 3 dogs yesterday with chili, cheese, onion and mustard. Mmmmm! :smiley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpZ_fakwSwc

I have lived in the West, and in the South, and in East, the North... everywhere I go people eat hotdogs with ketchup.. so not a northern USA thing at all. Unlike say Pork Roll, which is a very much North East thing. :)

I love me some Porkroll, egg, and cheese on a hard roll. With Publix having pork roll, now I have to find a good hard roll in the south.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    July 1 – 5.0 miles & 21DFX ABC Extreme
    July 2 – 3.0 miles & P90X3 Isometrix
    July 3 – 4.0 miles & 21DFX Power Strength Extreme
    July 4 – 0.0 miles XT Swimming laps for 45 minutes and 21DFX Dirty 30 Extreme

Total: 12.0/100 miles

Hot dogs? Sometimes. I'm partial to the all-beef kosher ones, but would happily substitute for a good brat or kielbasi. Toppings? A little Maple Brown Ale Spicy Mustard (secret family recipe) and Bavarian Sauerkraut (also a secret family recipe).

4th of July plans? The rest of the family has to work today. I don't. I'll be biking around the neighborhood playing Pokemon.

Yep. Still dancing to the beat of my own drummer.

Upcoming Races:

July 21 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #2, 5K
    August 5 – Great Brain Wash 5K Obstacle Run, St. Pete, FL
    August 18 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #3, 5K
    September 16 – Samoa Challenge (Thin Mint Sprint 5K and a Tagalong Trot 1 mile), Safety Harbor, FL
    October 1 – Ft. DeSoto 5K, Race #1 of the Triple Crown
    October 29 – Ft. DeSoto Halloween 5K, Race #2 of the Triple Crown
    November 18 – Insane Inflatable 5K Obstacle Run, Tampa, FL
    November 19 – St. Pete Runfest Half Marathon
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @pastorvincent where in NJ? I grew up in Lake Parsippany, but lived my adult life in Brick and Beachwood. I moved to Alabama 10 years ago. @stoshew71 is also a Jersey transplant. BTW you can buy pork roll online I did that when I first moved here. jerseyporkroll.com or believe it or not on Amazon ha ha

Grew up in Rahway. I went to Purdue University for a few years (W. Lafayette, IN) then moved back to Jersey. My mom lived in Bayonne at the time so I spent a lot of time between there and Rahway. Me and the wife shacked up in Eatontown (before we got married) then bought a house in Brick before my workplace got on the BRAC list (Ft. Monmouth) which forced me to relocate. Madison, AL became my new home for the last 6 years.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    LOL! @Stoshew71 Clint Eastwood said! I have no idea what a pork roll is. We lived in Delaware for a few years
    and i think the only things i remember is that the kids play hockey in the streets and not football, a sandwich is a hoogie, and 7-11 is a WaWa. oh and ya'll is youse guys. And scrapple. Wierd stuff.

I started a thread for @karllundy and anyone else that wants a bit of diary accountability in the MRC. That way we are not clogging up the thread with hot dog talk. Although, i enjoy a bit of personality from everyones views and not just the ups and downs of running. Please pop in and offer your support and share your challenges and directions you'd like to go. click here

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

New July goal....keep up with the posts, and retry to get 60 miles this month.

July3....9 miles, average heart rate at 85%.
    Total....9 miles.

Finally on the board with a 9 mile run yesterday. I wanted to get it done as early as possible which meant that I ran in the middle of the day (approx 3 p.m.). It was 85 degrees with a heat index of 95 degrees, with very little wind. It was overcast as if it was going to rain, but according to the weather report, 6% chance of precipitation.
    I am still working on keeping my heart rate in the zone, and it was really difficult yesterday. I gave up after running the first 6 miles, and started having walking breaks....it was taking almost a minute before my heart rate dropped in the zone range...so probably 7 or 8 walking breaks. I decided to sprint the last quarter mile...it felt so good. I think that I am getting faster. One of these days I am going to run some tempos to see how I have improved.

Sunday my husband and I went to see Joan Jett and Boston ( the band)....both groups very excellent. I was pleasantly surprised by how good Joan Jett was as an entertainer and as a guitar player. My husband and I have seen some bands that really haven't held up well during the years. The people who sat next to me had gotten free tickets and were really rowdy, espousing their political views. Thankfully they settled down. I would have said something if they hadn't. My husband told me that I shouldn't be teaching people courtesy lessons.

Wow! A hot dog discussion on this thread! My favorite are Angus all beef dogs, cooked over a roaring camp fire. My favorite condiments are spicy brown mustard, onion, and kraut. I despise Ketchup...I think that it is too sweet. I don't eat at McDonald's very often, but I will eat the ketchup and pickle if it is on my burger, but bleh. We usually eat at Burger King instead.

I hope that you all have a wonderful July 4th holiday, and best wishes to all who are racing!

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Toms River.. not far from Brick really.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    WK 7.3.17 - 7.9.17

M - 4 m. plus Abdominal's and a walk.
    T -15.2 m.
    W -
    T -
    F -
    S -
    S -
    Total - running Miles * Goal is a 60 mile running week.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    Sunday my husband and I went to see Joan Jett and Boston ( the band)....both groups very excellent. I was pleasantly surprised by how good Joan Jett was as an entertainer and as a guitar player. My husband and I have seen some bands that really haven't held up well during the years.

@ereck44 I get to see these 2 bands on Saturday. I love Boston. I've seen them before live too.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    7/1 8 miles - forced early stop :(
    7/2 Forced rest day
    7/3 7 easy miles in high humidity
    7/4 10 easy miles in high humidity

Summer Goal: Get my marathon pace below 9 minutes.
    Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

07/28/17 - Liberty Mile - 1 mile race just to see what a short run really is :)
    10/14/17 - Stop, Drop, and Run - Fireman style obstacle course - 5km

05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.

UGH so much for 3 hours on my feet today had to stop early as I developed a blister from a hole in my socks. :frowning: Was my last pair of heat gear socks. Guess I will have to go shopping.

Clif Bloks seem to do okay. I waited an hour, then ate one every 15 minutes. Kept to SCaps every hour, and lost 7 pounds running those 10 miles. Pretty close to 3/4ths a pound per mile I guess. Hate to think what I would have lost had I run at marathon pace instead. Looking like I will have to change my goals for the summer to just trying to keep a foundation and try to get my pace down in the fall when humidity falls again.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    hartlinet wrote: »
    Hi there, I am new to this group and have joined the July running challenge. I am excited to be back in a running headspace. I started running in 2005 and fell in love with it during my first 5k. I ran consistently and raced for fun thru 2012. Since then my relationship with running has been on again off again, more off than on. Every time I lace up after a break, I am surprised both by how challenging the run is and by how quickly my body responses, gleefully recognizing the activity. Running is where I want to be, so here I am.

I have been running a 5k per month, in May and June, with some co workers. My mileage will be low to start as I just want to get there habit formed and get beyond the walk/run. I am also cross training with weights and rowing.

Mileage goal: 15 per week, 60 for month.
    Workouts: 1Tabata, 1Hill or moderate, 2 "long" (3-5 miles).
    July race: Color Run 5k
    Current 1 mile, 11:30

Thanks for reading, I look forward to seeing everyone meet their goals!

Welcome to the group! Apparently, the most important question this month is ... how do you like your hot dogs and what kind do you prefer? :lol:
  • Stoshew71
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for July

7/1 13.1 miles - 13.1
    7/2 REST DAY
    7/3 10 miles - 23.1
    7/4 10 miles - 33.1

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    None so far
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Apparently, the most important question this month is ... how do you like your hot dogs and what kind do you prefer? :lol:

Not a big fan of hot dogs, possibly because we never had good hot dogs when I was a kid. The generic midwestern hot dogs on a cheap white bun, I ate with ketchup as a kid. They're better with chili and cheese instead. In Upstate NY, I learned to appreciate how much better Zweigel's are than what I grew up with; but they were still something I ate on rare occasions, like going to a baseball game. Before I developed a real taste for good hot dogs, I got serious about taking the weight off. So developing that taste isn't likely to happen now.

Probably won't have a hot dog today, even though they're traditional on the 4th of July. And that's okay.
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

7/3: 8.1k -easy run-
    7/4: 12.6k -intervals-

20.7/140k

Doing good...

Stay hydrated, It will be a long summer!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Well, I managed to run 4.5 miles today. Garmin was once again way behind the treadmill and thinks I only ran 4.3 miles. It's been badly underestimating my pace and heart rate lately. I know I got above 127 bpm but Garmin says that was my highest rate. Even on the bike when I was pedaling my heart out, it only registered like 120 bpm.

So I'm starting to wonder if maybe my Garmin is having issues. It seems to do okay when I'm outdoors, but not inside on the treadmill. Then again, I did have that really fast walking mile so maybe it's off there too? I don't know.

What I do is to swing my arms harder when the treadmill is reporting a mile split before the Garmin and try to hold them a little more still when the treadmill is behind. I'm convinced that my super-steady 180 bpm cadence is making a little trouble when I play with the speed. Or you could manually set the stride length if it's a consistent error rate.
    @autumnblade75 If you want to be really extreme with the Mizunos, you could try to cut away some of the front of the shoe completely, like in this insctruction.

I had already been considering something similar - and what have I got to lose? The shoes were $27, they aren't really usable in the condition they shipped in, and they accidentally sent me 2 pairs. So I took the scissors to them, but I haven't tested the result, yet. I'll report back after my run.
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I got overwhelmed with life in June - made my goal and got over 100 miles in - but did not get back to this site after about mid June. It is so easy to get behind with all the posts.

Anyway, this month appears to be a bigger challenge to my running - in part due to a vacation with lots of hiking.

So, I will set my goal as 100 miles of running/hiking - with at least 60 miles of running. Not sure I will actually be able to get in all the running - but a goal may help.

July 1 - 8 miles
    July 2 - 8.1 miles
    July 4- 10.2 miles

I went so slow today- about 2 minutes per mile slower than my marathon race pace - but I was still just drenched and ready to be done at 10.2. Oh well, still not a bad run and now I am going to relax in the pool and maybe get in a weight session with my son this evening.

@Orphia - Let me know how you like that Fenix 5. I have almost been convinced by the many learned runners here, that I should do something to track my HR. I use a Garmin 230 and I could just buy a chest strap - but I am considering upgrading to a Garmin 935 vs Fenix 5 or 5s. I will still get a chest strap, but I think it might be nice to have a wrist option. I am pretty sure I already have permanent scars from the chaffing from sports bras on my back and I just don't know that I would choose to wear a chest strap if it did the same thing. It's not like the US National team is going to be knocking on my door anytime soon.....
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @pastorvincent small world so basically at one point, you, me and @stoshew71 probably lived within 10 miles of each other ha ha. From 1985 until 2007 I lived in Brick, Neptune and Beachwood. Lots of friends in Toms River so I spent a lot of time there.