July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

I had to go and check some of my race photos just to see if I'm clenching my fists in any of them. And I'm not. (Such a relief.)

It seems to be a natural thing for runners to do. At least in my experience, most runners need to be instructed to relax and not be so tense. :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

I had to go and check some of my race photos just to see if I'm clenching my fists in any of them. And I'm not. (Such a relief.)

It seems to be a natural thing for runners to do. At least in my experience, most runners need to be instructed to relax and not be so tense. :)

holding Pringles is the instruction I have heard
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

Somehow, I never could. My problem was always making sure my hands weren't too flappy
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent yuck! *Northerners* ketchup? I had 3 dogs yesterday with chili, cheese, onion and mustard. Mmmmm! :smiley:

I have lived in the West, and in the South, and in East, the North... everywhere I go people eat hotdogs with ketchup.. so not a northern USA thing at all. Unlike say Pork Roll, which is a very much North East thing. :)

Never put ketchup on a hot dog in Chicago unless you have a death wish.

I had my first Chicago Hot Dog this weekend! There is definitely a wow factor. I have to say, I did like having a full pickle and hot dog in the same bun, but I got one bite with all hot ('sport') pepper and that threw me off. Those Chicago dogs are not to be messed with!

Aren't they great? Once you go Chicago Style, you never go back. Same with pizza. :smile:
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    July 5: 4.63 km

Total: 15.18 km / 75 km
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Oberon21 wrote: »
    Re: Hot dogs... what have I started? :lol: I prefer my hot dogs Italian style like they serve on the boardwalks in NJ, but eh, mostly I just cook them occasionally due to simplicity and speed. All beef only. No HFCS or CS allowed. Getting harder to find, but can still be found.

@skippygirlsmom moved out of NJ over two decades ago.. so Pork Roll is a rare treat now. Pork Roll Egg and Cheese on a Cinamon Raisin bagel is my choice of poison. :)

I live in NJ. I have never had a pork roll. I am now vegan so never will. I don't feel I've ever missed anything. Perhaps because, while born in NJ, I live in WI from the age of 8 to 20. Then back to NJ. So missed the formative pork roll years.

@oberon21 ha ha where about in NJ
    @mobycarp great race! Love the pictures
    @girlinahat I always tell Skip to pretend she was holding potato chips in her fingers and she thought I was insane, we were at a race and a coach yelled at one of his kids "potato chip fingers!!!!!" Seems I'm not so insane.

I've really started off bad this month. Moving Mom's house has just about killed me. I'm still moving things. Moving your own stuff into an empty house is one thing, moving a house into a full house is another story. Lots of shuffling of stuff, cleaning out of things etc. Alarm went off at 5:00 this morning I got up got into the bathroom and started to cry I was so tired. Thought it might be a good idea to lay back down for another hour.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    7/1 - 7 miles. Beautiful morning to run!
    7/2 - Rest day.
    7/3 - 5 miles. Kinda sloggish.
    7/4 - 5 miles. Humid.
    7/5 - Nothing so far, we'll see. Fireworks hangover, slept in.

exercise.png
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    July goal 100 miles

July 1.........4.1 miles..........MTD 4.1
    July 2.........3.0 miles......... MTD 7.1
    July 3.........5.0 miles..........MTD 12.1
    July 4.........Rest Day..........MTD 12.1

Took it easy on the holiday, no run. Plan is go to a new area by the Cape Fear River for 8 - 10 miles this evening. Hope it is a good area, if it is I will probably make it my goto route for my longer runs. Hope everyone had a happy, safe 4th.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,804 Member
    Options
    My marathon is Sunday, I'm trying to pre plan to get enough carbs in while carb loading, what do you eat? I don't think I can eat that much? I am at 200g of carbs that I've pre logged, what does your carb load day look like, and how many carbs do you eat each day?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7/1 8 miles - forced early stop :(
    7/2 Forced rest day
    7/3 7 easy miles in high humidity
    7/4 10 easy miles in high humidity
    7/5 7 miles in high humidity

Summer Goal: Get my marathon pace below 9 minutes.
    Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

07/28/17 - Liberty Mile - 1 mile race just to see what a short run really is :)
    10/14/17 - Stop, Drop, and Run - Fireman style obstacle course - 5km

05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.

Today's run was annoying. If I go by PACE it was a pretty easy run, a good min+ per mile above marathon pace for 7 miles. If I go by heart rate, it was a kill run mostly in zone three and pushed into zone 4 for a little bit. Plus after only an hour or so I was dehydrated. I had 18oz of water that I drank while running but still had that metallic taste that is the beginning of the signs of trouble. Bah.