Replies

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday @kimlight2 !
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 I look it up again and see if there is a mile designation. Thanks
  • cburke8909
    Options
    @Stoshew71 and @PastorVincent no it just says "Marathon Simulator Run" and I cannot find reference for the number of miles. It's in week 15 with a week of recovery following. I think I will just do it at 20 miles and simulate race pace and preparation.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 and @PastorVincent no it just says "Marathon Simulator Run" and I cannot find reference for the number of miles. It's in week 15 with a week of recovery following. I think I will just do it at 20 miles and simulate race pace and preparation.

http://running.competitor.com/2014/04/training/workout-of-the-week-the-simulator_14385
  • cburke8909
    Options
    Thanks @allyphoe so its 16.3 miles at marathon pace. No taper or extra prep but in this plan it does follow with a recovery week. Just realized that I may have been fine this morning with my efforts. The hills are suppose to be zone 5 which is top pace. For some reason I misread the zones and thought 5 was more like a race effort and it's more like a sprint. In that case the only issue was the time which should have been shorter by say 20 seconds and will be next time. The elevation was 89 feet for about a 400 yd. run, it definitely gave challenge but I may look for a steeper climb.
  • cburke8909
    Options
    I also found this on-line
    Total Duration: 17.3 Miles

This workout is intended to put the finishing touches on your marathon preparation and test the feasibility of a specific marathon goal time. The main body of the workout consists of a 'metric marathon'—that is, 26.2 kilometers, or 16.3 miles—run at marathon race pace. To do the workout you need to know your goal marathon pace in minutes and seconds per mile.

Run begins with a two-step, one-mile warm-up in Zones 1 and 2.

Do the run on a route that is similar to the course for your chosen
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,812 Member
    Options
    So it's suppose to be super hot sunday for my marathon, they give 7 1/2 hours, but with the heat, they cut it back to only 6 1/2 hours. Now by my calculations, I should be able to finish in 5 1/ 2 but I like having the buffer just in case, I'm going to be so upset if something happens and I don't finish now, ugh.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday, @kimlight2 !

Got a late start today, and it was too hot. I guess I'll have to get up earlier even though I'm on holidays. Bleh.

I'm doing the 80/20 10K Level 1 plan and enjoyed the speed play workout today. I ran between 6:30-7:00/km for the 1-min speed intervals (x5), which is about three minutes faster than my avg for a regular zone 2 workout (with walking). I hope I'll be able to maintain that speed for an entire workout one day.

July 6: 4.19 km

MTD: 19.37 km / 75 km
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent What was the issue you were having with Strava?

I noticed on the last few runs I am seeing a difference in Milage between Strava and Garmin. For instance Tuesday Strava showed 3.3 and Garmin showed 2.8 miles. Today Strava showed 3.7 and Garmin showed 3.4 miles. Anyone else have this issue?

@kimlight2 Strava was giving me at least a full minute faster per mile with runs I had automatically synced over to it. Runs I manually sync do not have this problem.

AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent I got the under amour heart rate monitor the chest strap type. I'm hoping it will sync well as my applications are all UA. I was able to analyze the workout. It looks like I was wrong about the time and perhaps the pace. The times were suppose to be a minute but there were closer to 1:20 and the pace was suppose to be zone 5.5-6. At a pace of close to 7:00 minutes a mile I'd say I was above zone 6. What does a marathon simulation run mean in the 80/20 running plan, do I run 26.2 that day?

I don't have the book in front of me to reference but I believe he means running a certain number of miles at your marathon race pace (not the distance).

GO with what @Stoshew71 says, I do not have the book in front of me either, but I think Stosh is correct. :)

ETA: ever mind seems like you got an answer :)
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    July 6 – 3.0 miles and 21 DFX Upper Fix Extreme and Lower Fix Extreme
    Total: 25.0/100 miles

Thursday is normally a XT/Rest from running day, but I’ve been running on the treadmill a lot lately and the weather was cooperating and I have these new running shoes to break in…Sooooo, I went for a very nice easy 3-mile run. It felt good to get out on the road. It wasn’t that long ago that I couldn’t even finish a single mile, and now 3 miles is my easy run. Not bad for an old lady who has never been athletic in her entire life! Active, yes. Athletic? No way!!

@skippygirlsmom Glad you made it home safely! Hopefully the weather will cooperate and you'll get out for a nice shake off the cobwebs, head-clearing run!

@kimlight2 Happy Birthday! I was thrilled when I turned 50 and moved to a new age group, right up until I realized that around here it is one of the largest age groups at every race! Lol!!

@allyphoe Just one more run and you've nailed C25K!! Way to go!!

Upcoming Races:
    July 21 - St. Pete Beach Series, Race #2, 5K
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »

Today is my 45th birthday so I planned on 4.5 miles but ran out of time to get J to lifting for hockey so had to be happy with 3.7 miles. You know I really could care less about my birthday but this one I was kind of looking forward to since I moved up an age group. Boy running has changed me LOL.

Yes! - I definitely have thought about this. But, I have noticed though that the 45-50 age group I am in is faster than the 40-45 age group, and sometimes the 35-40 age group, in the local races (doesn't stay that way in larger bigger city races). I am guessing it is a little bit of just who happens to be running locally- but I also suspect having older children so you can focus on running may make a difference.

And don't forget, it gives you an extra 5 minutes on your BQ time.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »

http://running.competitor.com/2014/04/training/workout-of-the-week-the-simulator_14385

The last paragraph says:

Second, the Simulator is not relevant to runners whose marathon goal is just to finish. The Simulator is intended only for runners who are fit enough to race a marathon at a much faster pace than they would run a marathon merely to finish. If your goal is just to reach the finish line, the best workout to put the finishing touches on your fitness and provide that last bit of confidence is the traditional 20-miler.

@cburke8909 I believe you said this is your first marathon? That being said, this does not sound like the workout for you. Plus I would not run anything more than 10 miles at a marathon pace without the proper taper. But that's just me. Then again, I am 45 so recovering from a 16 miler at race pace would be killer on me.

You said it is in week 15? Is that 15/18?

"The Hansons usually have their runners perform the Simulator five weeks before a marathon. That works for elite runners who run such high mileage that they need three full weeks to taper for their race, but for us mortals it’s probably better to run the Simulator closer to race day—four or even three weeks out. Again, the idea is to put the finishing touches on your marathon fitness."
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes!
    @BettyM1017 I didn't think to check the size of the 45-49 age group. Duh! I am probably still screwed. LOL.
    @wishiwasarunner - I would need them to knock HOURS off my time in order to BQ. Wonder how old I would need to be for that to happen?

As far as Strava vs Garmin issue, I will go with the lower one from now on so I am not under training.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @kimlight2 Happy Birthday!

7/1: 6.26
    7/2: 3.16
    7/3: 6.23
    7/4: Day off
    7/5: 5.34
    7/6: 6.27

27.26/100