Is it ok to ask for credit score/report before first date

Options

Replies

• MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    If someone asked me about that on or before a fist date, that would be a huge red flag. I would avoid them like the plague.

to be fair i would want to know their credit score before a fist date. i like a tight *kitten* but i want to know i'll get my watch back..
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think that's a good way to weed out the normals and only get weirdos (or maybe just really dumb people) actually....I sure as heck woudn't answer that question for a stranger
  • anneitaliano
    anneitaliano Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I kind of feel like if someone is willing to tell you his credit score before you meet, he might be weirder than someone who respects himself enough to keep it private from a relative stranger. I wouldn't give out my credit score to someone to prove my worthiness or un-weirdo-ness. Too personal.
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda wondering if they were hitting the wine bottle hard when this conversation was going
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    sw33tp3a1 wrote: »
    I'm kinda wondering if they were hitting the wine bottle hard when this conversation was going

Nah. This sounds more like a martini conversation to me. :D
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »

No, you're both wrong.

I think it was margaritas.

Well that is way off. Everyone knows if you are drinking margaritas, you could care less about his credit score. Your only concern is whether the table you dancing on will break from under you.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    All jokes aside...whats equivalent in the dating world to the extremely personal questions guys ask ...

Personal questions such as? I'm curious what other people consider personal.

I hate being asked personal questions...it just shuts me down right away...I'll tell you about me when I feel comfortable! I hate being asked "tell me about yourself" my mind goes blank and I feel 'put on the spot'.

Questions I'd like to know (maybe not first date questions) is if there are any 'deal breakers', things I won't compromise on. From there I'd decide what type (if any) of a relationship was possible.

"tell me about yourself" or "what's your story" are the worst. it just seems so lazy, if you can't be bothered to narrow down what you want to know a little i definitely can't be bothered to write an essay describing my life.

somewhere between open ended "who are you" and "what's your credit score" there's a legitimate conversation that can happen. i'm sure of it.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »

No, you're both wrong.

I think it was margaritas.

Well that is way off. Everyone knows if you are drinking margaritas, you could care less about his credit score. Your only concern is whether the table you dancing on will break from under you.

*couldn't care less. :p

Touche, you obviously haven't started on any margaritas.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'll give you one reason to ask for a credit score:
    "Three out of four Americans in a committed relationship, or 78 percent, prefer a partner who is good with money over one who is physically attractive."
    -Citigroup survey

. . . and a denunciation of credit altogether from my homeboy Dave.
    "Your credit score is not an indication that you're smart. It's not an indication that you're winning with money or that you have money. It's an indication that you borrowed money and paid it back a lot. You love to play kissy face with the bank. That's what your credit score is."
    - Dave Ramsey
  • BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    If someone asked me about that on or before a fist date, that would be a huge red flag. I would avoid them like the plague.

to be fair i would want to know their credit score before a fist date. i like a tight *kitten* but i want to know i'll get my watch back..

:joy::joy::joy:
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This relationship is sounding a bit...transactional.

w7x06ulmseba.png
  • ShrinkingViolet1982
    ShrinkingViolet1982 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Is this a serious question?? That's like asking for copies of their birth certificate and 4 years of tax returns...
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Sure if you want to be a giant douche
  • inkedillini26
    inkedillini26 Posts: 33 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Is there not some way women can weed out the men without being critized

I thought dating was the weeding out part...getting to know them, finding shared interests, seeing if you have chemistry...If not, thanks for playing, move on.

I didn't even have credit when I met my husband...I never had a credit card, no loans, nothing...and neither did he. If either of us had asked for a credit score we would have been SOL, yet we are both good people who are driven and fun as all get out. Not to mention we both have BOMB credit scores now.

Honestly a credit score tells you about as much as someone's McDonald's order (which is what I'm eating for lunch).
  • DaddyDunk91
    DaddyDunk91 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yes while we dine at a 5* restaurant that I booked, sipping £1000 a bottle of champagne, listening to your favourite band that I booked for you. That's when I'll ask how is your credit? You able to split the bill with your below average score, if its perfect we can drive off into the sunset in my Porche, that I have on finance.....