Planet Fitness

Options
1235»

Replies

• ansmit4642014
    ansmit4642014 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It really is $10 or $20 depending on your plan. There may be a start up fee or a cancel fee but it was like $80 or something.... PF is very affordable compared to other gyms.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Wow. I've never been to one and know lots of people who do... I had no idea it was *what sounds like* a stress-inducing carnival of rules! And here I thought my local YMCA was probably lacking and I just didn't realize it! Geez, we can hear dudes screaming up on the cardio floor and even in the studios for class sometimes!

And "no strappy tops or tops that show straps"? Ummm, that's literally 98% of women's workout wear. What are you supposed to wear?? Sweats and a tee shirt? Strappy, open backs are in style IN GENERAL for women right now. Now I'm realizing the "Christian Values" YMCA is quite liberal for this strappy-bra and see-through top-wearing Atheist! I'd slap someone's face off if they commented on my attire at $70 per month. But even at $10...how is ANY of that (lug-light, dress code, anti-heavy lifts) "a judgement free zone"?? Or any of their business (your clothes)? I mean, if you're not nude, what's the problem?

I'm totally shocked. I thought PF was meant to be welcoming and easy going/friendly from the ads. Not *what sounds like* the 7th Circle of Hell. I thought that's what Summer at the Y was for because of navigating through children in hoards attending the Camp!
  • matthewdub
    matthewdub Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wasn't a fan of Planet Fitness at all.

First red flag was when they asked an in shape women in a tank top to cover herself up more because it made other people "not feel good about themselves".

Second red flag was the majority of the people at my location were overweight to obese range and the gym served them pizza, donuts, and bagels. I adjusted the times I would work out because it kind of made me sick watching a gym serve people with eating problems pizza and donuts. I literally watched an obese man eat a slice of pizza sitting on a weight machine.

Third red flag that made me never go back was watching a woman get kicked out after somebody rang the lunk alarm on her for being "intimidating". The woman who was just working out was in her own world, wasn't even being loud. I was seriously confused on how she was being "intimidating".

I lasted about 10 days there, switched to a gym called EoS Fitness and it's been amazing.

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I think my gym could use a lunk alarm when *kitten* drop the bar at the top of a deadlift...for reps.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options

But if you take it seriously as an argument, I could find any Proper Workout Plan For Proper Athletes du jour, copy-and-paste the entries and then put "five minutes tanning" for one of the rest days, and that ridiculous tagline would then apply equally to the slightly amended Proper Workout Plan.

So, in conclusion, it's nonsense, and I responded to it in that spirit. It makes no claims of substance about the entries for the other days of the week, and I will not pretend it did!
    You would HAVE to modify these plans so drastically in order to make that tagline become ridiculous. That is how baseless your criticism of it is.

Your entire defense of PF is predicated on the notion that these tanning days -- something that has no place in a proper fitness plan -- are meant as "rest days." Rest from what, exactly? Those measly five squats? Those oh-so-exhausting ten crunches? These tanning days are scarcely any less vigorous than those "workouts," so it takes tremendous mental gymnastics to justify them as "rest days."

Obviously, the tagline in question uses hyperbole. It is simply bizarre that you take outrage at this hyperbole, but not at the fact that they're recommending workout plans that amount to diddly squat. Or the over-the-top way in which they characterize bodybuilders and other fit individuals as lunks and horrible people.
  • SeikoMonster
    SeikoMonster Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people in this thread are confusing the culture and philosophy of PF with the ability to use a gym for $10 a month.

The free pizza day and tootsie rolls, stupid minimalist workout goals, etc are contrary to getting in shape.
    Guess what? YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THAT!!!!

If you can live with 75 pound dumbbells, and smith machines. Its a great place! My goal like 90% of people that go to the gym is to improve myself physically. Not to become a power lifter. I can do 99.9% of all workouts I've looked into from bodybuilding.com at my PF. Some slight modifications but nothing too serious.

They have all the equipment, its clean, and minimal if any wait ever. With the added benefit of tons of cardio machines. Again I can only speak to the two I go to, but Ive seen all fitness levels from the 80+ year old woman who has had a stroke, to the power lifter putting up 300+ pounds on his bench press.

Ignore the "philosophy" surrounding it, walk in, do your work and become better.

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    the catch is they don't like people who take their workouts too seriously - no deadlifts, no noises, no supersets, no benching, no overhead press. if you like just cardio I guess it could be ok.

You are incorrect in almost everything you said.

I dead lift, super set, bench and overhead weekly.
    They don't want people screaming and dropping weights. If you are referring to that as noise. Actually its nice, not having that guy doing massive 70 pound bench press grunting like he just lifted a car.

It is not the gym to turn you into mr olympia. But for the other 80% of people that don't need more than 75 pound dumbbells, and are okay using a smith machine its a good place.
    Cheap, clean, never much if any wait for using a machine or spot to use the dumbbells.

Lol..."massive 70 Lb bench press"...if a 70 Lb bench press is massive, PF is probably spot on your place to be. My bench is in no way impressive, but far more than 70 Lbs...

And a deadlift is always going to clank when it hits the floor...I can't imagine you're deadlifting much without bumpers and a platform.

Note that I'm a cycling enthusiast and not at all a big "lunk" body builder or anything like that...but the notion of someone training hard enough to need to grunt a little to get the weight up being offensive is why PF is ridiculous...if you don't have to work at it, you're not pushing or pulling enough weight...you're spinning your wheels.

Lol, I've been stressing over my bench as it's plateaued at 43kg (95lb) for the last couple months, feel better now I know that 70lb is massive :smiley:

(yes I know 70lb isn't massive, I'm in awe of the guys at my gym that stick the 20kg plates on the bar for their warm up sets)
    (Oh and sorry I grunt, well make a sort of "pschaaar" noise when I'm lifting near my 1rpm)
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »

But if you take it seriously as an argument, I could find any Proper Workout Plan For Proper Athletes du jour, copy-and-paste the entries and then put "five minutes tanning" for one of the rest days, and that ridiculous tagline would then apply equally to the slightly amended Proper Workout Plan.

So, in conclusion, it's nonsense, and I responded to it in that spirit. It makes no claims of substance about the entries for the other days of the week, and I will not pretend it did!
    You would HAVE to modify these plans so drastically in order to make that tagline become ridiculous. That is how baseless your criticism of it is.

Your entire defense of PF is predicated on the notion that these tanning days -- something that has no place in a proper fitness plan -- are meant as "rest days." Rest from what, exactly? Those measly five squats? Those oh-so-exhausting ten crunches? These tanning days are scarcely any less vigorous than those "workouts," so it takes tremendous mental gymnastics to justify them as "rest days."

Obviously, the tagline in question uses hyperbole. It is simply bizarre that you take outrage at this hyperbole, but not at the fact that they're recommending workout plans that amount to diddly squat. Or the over-the-top way in which they characterize bodybuilders and other fit individuals as lunks and horrible people.
    There wasn't any initial outrage, good sir. Plenty of taking the piss out of the 'hyperbole', yep, but that's what tends to happen in reaction to hyperbole.

You've spent a couple of posts now trying to defend the image's... academic credibility on the grounds of what it didn't say. Are you enjoying this?

Is it your image, perchance?

In that case, let me say this really, really, really, really, really clearly. It doesn't matter what logical justifications for finding fault with the work-out plan were going through your head when you fiddled around with your image editor. What matters is the words you actually type.

You cannot go for such frivolous, lighthearted quips and then reasonably expect it to be treated like a work of great scientific value. 'Specially not on the internet.

• erica_today
    erica_today Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    the catch is they don't like people who take their workouts too seriously - no deadlifts, no noises, no supersets, no benching, no overhead press. if you like just cardio I guess it could be ok.

Hahaha was yours ran by Hitler?

I went to planet fitness and the only rule was no judging
  • erica_today
    erica_today Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I used planet fitness. 10$ a month no contract canceled whenever I wanted which I did twice for moving reasons.

It might depend who runs yours

But mine allowed deadlifts, bench pressing, they had a good weight section, you could grunt and love the mirror all you wanted but yes they had a huge cardio section.

It was worth the money.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    HeliumIsNoble, your accusation was that people are offended because PF scheduled "rest days," i.e. the tanning days in question. Your entire defense is predicated on the notion that these tanning days are meant as rest days.

To "prove" this, you say that if we replace the weak-*kitten* workouts that were scheduled on other days of the week, the tanning days would be legitimate rest days.

I already explained why that reasoning is wrong. YES, if we were to drastically modify the rest of the workout plan, the tanning days could be considered rest days -- carcinogenic rest days, but rest days nonetheless. That's like saying that if you replace cubic zirconium with the finest diamonds, it would be valuable. The logic simply doesn't make sense.

YOU are the one who interprets the tagline as objecting to the notion of rest days. I disagree with that interpretation, for reasons that I have explained at great length. I think you're the one who's being petty by insisting that this is what the image says, even though that interpretation is by no means unassailable.

The subject of Planet Fitness workout plans and recommendations has come up on MFP several times before. Not once has any of the critics -- myself included -- complained about the presence of rest days, except insofar as the entire week amounts to little more than resting. Not once has anyone -- critic or defender -- interpreted the tanning sessions are periods of rest. If you're going to insist on this interpretation, you should know that i'ts not a popular one.