Parents on here I need advice, my daughter is seeing a guy way older than her

Options
lookat6
lookat6 Posts: 71 Member
My daughter is 22 she has been seeing a 31 year old male at her job in a warehouse for five months he is always coming over here and stopping by to see her and he takes her out about once a week every week for the past few months and I want to know what he sees in my daughter to want to take her out. My daughter is 22 and she still lives at home and my daughter doesn't have much guy experience either.
She works but that's about it. This guy from her job that takes her out has bought her a gift from bath and body works and he takes her out to eat and buys her food but, honestly I think he's using her my daughter eleven though she looks happy when she goes out with him and she talks about him a lot but I'm not sure. I'm weary because 9 times out of 10 when the age gap is this big I'm pretty sure he's after one thing and I wanna protect my daughter. I try to tell my daughter that she is being gullible and that he doesn't want her like she wants him. I feel like my daughter is desperate and putting herself on him. I rather her date someone who is at the most five years older.
I don't think his intentions are genuine and I'm pretty sure he can't find someone his age that's why he wants my daughter. I don't mind her dating but not a guy this older. I honestly think she is either being used or potentially going to get her feelings really her with this guy. She is emotionally immature and isn't ready for him. He is way far along in life than she is and I told my daughter to not lose her virginity to this old man!
I try to teach my daughter to not be impressed by the little things guys do but it seems like she fell for him and I have a bad feeling about this.

Replies

• BattleRopes
    BattleRopes Posts: 128 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Is she freeloading or does she contribute to the household, via rent or chores? If she's freeloading, then you've the power; to forbid her to see him or you'll force her to leave. However if you force her to leave, she might then live; with him. If she's contributing to the household, to reside there; then she's your tenant & you've no right to tell her whom, she's able; to see or even, to set; a curfew.
  • iammichele
    iammichele Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 23 and makes some pretty horrendously bad choices as well regarding many topics one being the man who she dates who has two previous domestic violence incidences (per the court records) on two other women. My daughter won't listen, lacks common sense, lacks good judgement, therefore I feel your pain. The problem is, as others mentioned, they are adults. We can't "ground them" or make their choices for them, as they are adults and are legally permitted to date who they choose to date regardless if it's a bad choice or not. The more I push my daughter to be smarter about her choices the more she plunges ahead in the opposite direction. I am sorry though, as I know first hand how stressful it is to see our "adult" children make stupid decisions. It sounds like you have let her know what you think, and how you feel and really all you can do now is focus on keeping yourself happy and healthy. Hang in there and take care of yourself right now.
  • DreDay46
    DreDay46 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Experience is the best teacher. She is an adult and can make her own decisions. All you can do is try to support her the best you can, but if you try to control her then you will end up pushing her away.
  • CINDYR776
    CINDYR776 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    iammichele wrote: »
    My daughter is 23 and makes some pretty horrendously bad choices as well regarding many topics one being the man who she dates who has two previous domestic violence incidences (per the court records) on two other women. My daughter won't listen, lacks common sense, lacks good judgement, therefore I feel your pain. The problem is, as others mentioned, they are adults. We can't "ground them" or make their choices for them, as they are adults and are legally permitted to date who they choose to date regardless if it's a bad choice or not. The more I push my daughter to be smarter about her choices the more she plunges ahead in the opposite direction. I am sorry though, as I know first hand how stressful it is to see our "adult" children make stupid decisions. It sounds like you have let her know what you think, and how you feel and really all you can do now is focus on keeping yourself happy and healthy. Hang in there and take care of yourself right now.

^^^This....ALLLLLL of this. <3
This discussion has been closed.