Parents on here I need advice, my daughter is seeing a guy way older than her

Options

Replies

• BattleRopes
    BattleRopes Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    lookat6 wrote: »
    Is she freeloading or does she contribute to the household, via rent or chores? If she's freeloading, then you've the power; to forbid her to see him or you'll force her to leave. However if you force her to leave, she might then live; with him. If she's contributing to the household, to reside there; then she's your tenant & you've no right to tell her whom, she's able; to see or even, to set; a curfew.

She pays the charter bill she helps clean and she gives my wife $200 a week she also gave my wife money to help fix her vehicle

Then she's your tenant 1st, daughter 2nd! Meaning you've no legal right to impose restrictions upon her and/or her guests that aren't legitimate landlord/tenant relationship; otherwise you risk being sued and/or being prosecuted.
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    In the grand scheme of things, a nine year age gap is really insignificant. As the others have pointed out, your daughter is a grown woman yet you feel compelled to speak of her as if she's a child. After raising 5 kids myself, 2 sons 3 daughter's, I can tell you that the control you are trying to exert over you daughter will only backfire on you.
    Trust that you raised her to be a smart, capable woman & let her learn from her own life experiences. You are trying to rob her from learning about who she is and what she wants because of your problem with the guys age. Give her the benefit of the doubt to figure out her own life.
    Letting go of your adult child is the hardest thing for a parent to do, but there is a sense of joy when you sit back & watch how they have become really good men and women because you taught them values & then let them figure out the rest on their own.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You could continue to be unsupportive and potentially push your daughter away and/or make her secretive about her whereabouts and what she's doing, or you could perhaps try and accept that this might be a genuine relationship (or just an experience for her that she can learn from if things go pear shaped) and find out that he's a pretty nice guy.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    I don't think the OP is real... The whole virginity comment sets of my Bs detector...

I'm pretty sure if she has sex with him he's going to brag about how he's having sex with a person of her age

Okay now I know you're Bs.... Anyone who'd discuss their daughters sex life in this context in a public forum is just a Troll, and or has some type of issue
  • Sugarand_spice
    Sugarand_spice Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't see that as a big age gap at all! My best friend is 22 and engaged to a 38 year old. Obviously not just being used for one thing.
    They could actually really like each other
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You're daughter is a full blown adult. End of story.

But as long as she's under my roof it's my business who comes to pick her up from my address
    Tell her Helium on MFP says to meet the guy outside the house, on the corner of the street.

Problem solved.

• carb_killer1
    carb_killer1 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i dont know if this is true but i kinda agree with healthy its odd to dicuss childrens sex lives dont u think ?
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    Newsflash, they're probably already banging. Virgin still at 22.....yeah, ok.
  • toned_thugs_n_harmony
    toned_thugs_n_harmony Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Where do you think he takes her? Back to his place for a little bump and grind.
  • carb_killer1
    carb_killer1 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Newsflash, they're probably already banging. Virgin still at 22.....yeah, ok.

i agree with you but still hardto read and its not even my kid
This discussion has been closed.