Hitting on Women at the gym?

Options

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Don't be creepy ]

..... if only I had received this advice years ago.

too late now. *shrug
  • sdhaysrx
    sdhaysrx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I try not to make too much eye contact..Im ok with chatting but only when Im finished. I don't like being interrupted.

are you talking about going to the gym.... or a night out drinking?

:laugh: both
    sdhaysrx wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I try not to make too much eye contact..Im ok with chatting but only when Im finished. I don't like being interrupted.

are you talking about going to the gym.... or a night out drinking?

I thought she was talking about in her basement...

No eye contact..use blindfold :laugh:

Exactly
  • Holly_981
    Holly_981 Posts: 286 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    Alright ladies, let's talk about getting hit on at the gym? Dudes know what I'm talking about, there's that really nice looking lady hitting the weights in those nice tight leggings. When do you start up a convo, how do you start up a convo, is it even appropriate to even try at the gym? Let's hear it people :)

I don't see it as any different to getting hit on anywhere else. Start the convo when she's finished her workout. Never interrupt a workout. Start your convo the way you would any other time. The only thing that would be awkward was if it didn't work out and you would still have to see her at the gym.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    jtegirl1 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I agree with #bbell1985, your goal for going to the gym should be to train and improve your lifestyle and fitness. No issues with talking to people or offering assistance, but if u r going to try and pick up then it is time to go home as u have probably lost your focus for training.....

But that's not what I said lol. I like it when men I WANT to talk to say hi at the gym. I spend so many hours per week there. I don't go out, I work with mostly women, and dating apps are overwhelming. Many men are just not really self-aware. I'm a confident woman. I'll give you a sign if it's okay to talk to me.

I was getting ready to refute what he said regarding your post when I saw this. lol

Also yes to what @cabronlobos and @lstrat115 said. I'd much rather meet someone at the gym than a bar. Most likely they'll have a more similar healthy lifestyle to mine.

Exactly!! You already have something in common with them. Plus judging by half the posts around here sharing a healthy lifestyle is important for a relationship. Look at all the threads and posts about spouses who aren't on the same page or are jealous or bitter about the other being healthier/looking better/attracting more attention. Or the "my husband is trying to sabotage my efforts" type posts.

I agree! Though I did try to date someone from my gym once...he didn't really get my artistic/musician/bookish side. If only I could find a handsome, nerdy, musical powerlifter...
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have thought about taking a class. I have noticed that the lunch time classes at my work gym are 100% female except the instructor. The class are open to everyone, but only women take the classes.
  • gainzmummy17
    gainzmummy17 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't want anybody talking to me in gym mind hitting on me
  • ChelaRocks
    ChelaRocks Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think it is more than OK to be friendly at the gym... hellos, nods of acknowledgement that you are there, etc. I appreciate offers to spot me when I look a bit wobbly on a heavy set or a random compliment on form or strength every now and then... "Heyyyy Baby, you're not nearly as fat as the other old hags around here" is definitely a zero point remark. What pisses me off is when I am in the middle of a set and some meathead decides that he needs to give some advice (usually wrong or just an opinion), or decides that he will stand over me and "chat", possibly to get me to move off the bench sooner, or decides to pretend to lift while staring in the mirror, as if I can't see in the mirror even though his back is to me. I have had a couple of guys who just look and do the creepy eyebrow raise thing. So, I think the key is to be friendly, approachable if you want to be approached, and take cues from body language. Some people go to the gym to work out and others are OK with a bit social time worked in.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't hit on women at the gym for a number of reasons, first of which is I have a girlfriend.
    But I'm in my own world when I work out and I think most other people are too. I know I wouldn't want to be interrupted so I don't interrupt anyone else.

The real deciding factor of whether a guy is "creepy" or not comes down to whether he's attractive or not.
    Hot guy hits on you at the gym? No problem!
    Average guy even talks to you at the gym? Ugh, what a creep!

I'm not much to look at, so even if I was single I wouldn't bother trying to start a conversation.

Exactly.

If you're hot to a woman, almost everything you say won't come off as creepy

If you're not, one fuk up and you're screwed.
  • DasItMan91
    edited July 2017
    Options
    DasItMan91 wrote: »
    I wouldn't hit on women at the gym for a number of reasons, first of which is I have a girlfriend.
    But I'm in my own world when I work out and I think most other people are too. I know I wouldn't want to be interrupted so I don't interrupt anyone else.

The real deciding factor of whether a guy is "creepy" or not comes down to whether he's attractive or not.

I'm not much to look at, so even if I was single I wouldn't bother trying to start a conversation.

Exactly.

I disagree. You don't have to be hot for me to not think you're creepy. Even hot guys can be creepy. But, like most people, I'd be more apt to flirt back with someone that is attractive to me. Attractive to me can be all different definitions. Not just some big buff meathead.

.........that's why I said "almost everything".... If some dude who was attractive started groping some random woman on street, it doesn't matter if he's attractive or not, it's creepy and he will go to jail or if he said he was a rapist or serial killer or pedophile. But let's not lie to ourselves, if a guy is attractive to a woman, he gets more leeway with what he says compared to someone who ain't. A guy can have a slight stutter or not speak perfect English but as long as a woman is attracted to him, it doesn't matter.
  • caribbeanguy123
    caribbeanguy123 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hot chicks hit on me all the time, I'll send them your way..........Then no worries for you.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Well, one time this woman came up to me and asked how long I would be... I have caught her looking my way quite a few times... and well I get that vibe from her... anyway I told her straight... 12 more sets or so... she went on her way... thank god... I might have fallen in love then what? ... true story *sigh*
  • DasItMan91
    edited July 2017
    Options

Exactly.

I disagree. You don't have to be hot for me to not think you're creepy. Even hot guys can be creepy. But, like most people, I'd be more apt to flirt back with someone that is attractive to me. Attractive to me can be all different definitions. Not just some big buff meathead.

.........that's why I said "almost everything".... If some dude who was attractive started groping some random woman on street, it doesn't matter if he's attractive or not, it's creepy and he will go to jail or if he said he was a rapist or serial killer or pedophile. But let's not lie to ourselves, if a guy is attractive to a woman, he gets more leeway with what he says compared to someone who ain't. A guy can have a slight stutter or not speak perfect English but as long as a woman is attracted to him, it doesn't matter.

I do agree with that if they're attractive to that person they'll get a little more leeway. I can say this, I don't care how attractive a guy is, I can't do stupid. They get no leeway. I'm far from a rocket scientist but I can't deal with stupid guys. lol

It also goes both ways. If a guy finds a woman attractive they're going to get more leeway.

I can't deal with stupid either. Maybe when it comes to just sex yeah but if I wanted something serious, I need a good personality and at least of average intelligence. Me and other guys have said this before....I rather have a 6 or 7 as a gf with a epic personality and smarts than the 8 or 9 who is vapid and is dumb as rocks.
  • FitWonderChick
    FitWonderChick Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I hate it when guys try to hit on me at the gym. I've had guys say "let me help you with that" when I am loading weights onto a bar. Like really, F Off dude. I am there to lift and I am not struggling or lost, I am just looking for the heavier plates. I've also had a co-worker find me at my gym and follow me to an empty room and try to talk to me while I did weighted squats, abs and triceps workout. I had 30 minutes for my break and wanted to be left alone so I could workout hard. He just slowly hit a punching bag in the corner while I did my full workout. SO so so uncomfortable. So just try to be appropriate and don't treat us like helpless women in the gym. Best thing you could do is hand me your card while I'm leaving. Or say you need a workout buddy outside of the gym and hand me your #. I prefer bold, upfront and brief. I don't have much time to talk in the gym.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    Alright ladies, let's talk about getting hit on at the gym? Dudes know what I'm talking about, there's that really nice looking lady hitting the weights in those nice tight leggings. When do you start up a convo, how do you start up a convo, is it even appropriate to even try at the gym? Let's hear it people :)

I'm not good at flirting back anyway. Lol. So idk if I'd really even notice unless the guy asks for my number.
    Even then when I tell them I'm married I've had guys say "that's ok, you can see me on the side!" and then I give them my husbands cell phone number, and then tell them to call him and ask him how he feels about it.