Hitting on Women at the gym?

Options

Replies

• YearOfTheDragonLeo
    YearOfTheDragonLeo Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Make eye contact - if she smiles back - that's your opening..

Small talk works best....don't lead with a compliment. It sounds suspicious ( from a person who loves compliments)

If the ear buds are in and she's heavy into her rotation....wait for another time....
  • Chase_The_Pain
    Chase_The_Pain Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    The last time I went to a gym this one trainer would always come over and talk to me and tease me about how little weight I was able to lift or he'd try to talk to me about my work and my homelife. It was a little bit annoying until he started regularly offering me free passes so I always allowed him to speak to me so I could get freebies for my friends.

Not bad, just a small price to pay to get free stuff. Way to take one for the team for you and your pals.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    So this guy at the gym asked me if I wanted to go for a hike one day. We had been briefly introduced from my friend/his coworker previously. I told him I had a boyfriend and he said I could bring my boyfriend too. The boyfriend didnt want to go and never wanted to do anything fun with me. Guess who I am dating now? Now the peeps at the gym lovingly call us "Swole Mates" lol.
    On a side note, I live in a small town and know/talk to practically everyone that frequents the gym so it isnt unusual for someone to have casual/friendly conversation. People often comment on gains or difficult exercises.
    I think hitting on someone can be done tastefully and I don't have a problem with that.
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options
    I already have a swole mate
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would rather have a man flat out ask me if I'm single...than to observe for months on end to figure out of I'm single. I'm married, so the rejection isn't a big deal.

Here's a reasonable example:
    Guy at gym (stops to talk to me while I'm btwn sets): "Hey, what kind of lifting program are you doing?"
    Me & Him: ....couple minutes of lifting talk
    Guy: "So your lifting partner I used to see you with...does he still work out here?"
    Me: "Oh...my husband! We've been on different schedules lately."

See how smoothly that guy was able to get the answer to his question...

Love this. Lots of married ladies lift without our rings on so someone who seems unfriendly might really just be unavailable. I also lift without my glasses which means I occasionally make "eye contact" without even realising it :tongue:

fortunately that's not too much of an issue as a 30something lifting in a gym full of college guys.

That's what blows my mind. People leave me alone in the gym as it's PF and they don't really permit the whole meat market thing, but in other locations? I am 48 years old. I'm not busted looking by any means but anyone should be able to tell I am not in my thirties any more, just by the signs of decreased skin collagen and increased freckling from incidental sun. The guys who hit on me are almost always ridiculously too young. It's like some "cougar chasing" fad or something. I wear the ring everywhere, too.
  • ansmit4642014
    ansmit4642014 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have been asked out at the gym a few times, although I'm taken. I think if a guy is not creepy and is good looking and also has the confidence to walk up to a girl and try to talk to them is worth going out with.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    If I were in the market, I would think the gym is a good place to meet someone. But don't "hit on" women. I don't think anyone actually likes that kind of obvious and fake attention. Just be friendly.
  • Chase_The_Pain
    Chase_The_Pain Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    So this guy at the gym asked me if I wanted to go for a hike one day. We had been briefly introduced from my friend/his coworker previously. I told him I had a boyfriend and he said I could bring my boyfriend too. The boyfriend didnt want to go and never wanted to do anything fun with me. Guess who I am dating now? Now the peeps at the gym lovingly call us "Swole Mates" lol.
    On a side note, I live in a small town and know/talk to practically everyone that frequents the gym so it isnt unusual for someone to have casual/friendly conversation. People often comment on gains or difficult exercises.
    I think hitting on someone can be done tastefully and I don't have a problem with that.

Your poor boyfriend had no idea you were messing with Sasquatch.
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options

Your poor boyfriend had no idea you were messing with Sasquatch.

It wasn't quite like that. The ex and I were having problems before I even met the gym guy. I eventually ended the one relationship and eventually started the new relationship.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Honestly, I would rather have a man flat out ask me if I'm single...than to observe for months on end to figure out of I'm single. I'm married, so the rejection isn't a big deal.

Here's a reasonable example:
    Guy at gym (stops to talk to me while I'm btwn sets): "Hey, what kind of lifting program are you doing?"
    Me & Him: ....couple minutes of lifting talk
    Guy: "So your lifting partner I used to see you with...does he still work out here?"
    Me: "Oh...my husband! We've been on different schedules lately."

See how smoothly that guy was able to get the answer to his question...

Love this. Lots of married ladies lift without our rings on so someone who seems unfriendly might really just be unavailable. I also lift without my glasses which means I occasionally make "eye contact" without even realising it :tongue:

fortunately that's not too much of an issue as a 30something lifting in a gym full of college guys.

That's what blows my mind. People leave me alone in the gym as it's PF and they don't really permit the whole meat market thing, but in other locations? I am 48 years old. I'm not busted looking by any means but anyone should be able to tell I am not in my thirties any more, just by the signs of decreased skin collagen and increased freckling from incidental sun. The guys who hit on me are almost always ridiculously too young. It's like some "cougar chasing" fad or something. I wear the ring everywhere, too.

Hmm that's interesting. Then again I've been hit on like twice ever - I apparently have bad rbf. So that probably doesn't help :tongue:
  • erica_today
    erica_today Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You have to just risk it.

Me personally I've been hit on and talked to.
    Guess what those people are now on my poop list
    Some people only have limited time to work out.

I got 1 hour that's it no more then I'd have to get my kids.

So guess what when you talk to me and take up 20 minutes of my workout you ruined my day and I'll avoid you the next time I see you.

You want to talk to me ask for my number or email or something and say so you don't ruin my workout. Then if I say no walk away if I say yes yay for you then leave me alone.
  • Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Some (not all) guys use gyms like bars as a way of finding women and that is one major reason why I won't purchase a gym pass.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Meh, like someone above mentioned. Don't *kitten* where you eat. Most relationships don't work out and the belief that a gym membership is enough commonality to sustain a long-term relationship is laughable. I like the gym I'm at and wouldn't want a relationship that went sour to cause me discomfort or issues there...

Besides, I'm married and work out with my wife. She'd likely castrate me if I tried hitting on women. ;)
  • nolan44219
    nolan44219 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    You have to just risk it.

Me personally I've been hit on and talked to.
    Guess what those people are now on my poop list
    Some people only have limited time to work out.

I got 1 hour that's it no more then I'd have to get my kids.

So guess what when you talk to me and take up 20 minutes of my workout you ruined my day and I'll avoid you the next time I see you.

You want to talk to me ask for my number or email or something and say so you don't ruin my workout. Then if I say no walk away if I say yes yay for you then leave me alone.

What's your email? Care to trade recipes?
  • erin19892011
    erin19892011 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Id love it! Literally think about it while i jog endlessly. Thinking please come up to me and simply ask what type of music inspires my workout. Ask if you can use the treadmill next me. Hell your real cute, ask if you could spot me ;-).
  • nolan44219
    nolan44219 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Id love it! Literally think about it while i jog endlessly. Thinking please come up to me and simply ask what type of music inspires my workout. Ask if you can use the treadmill next me. Hell your real cute, ask if you could spot me ;-).

I'm picking up a tiny bit of sarcasm.

What if I'm your special someone and we don't know it and everyone else in your life isn't as supportive as I would be of your fitness interests?