Let me hear your well intended healthy recipe FAILS

Options

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Tried making an avocado pasta sauce last week to mix things up a bit...used way too much lime juice and ended up with a very puckering bowl of chicken avocado pasta.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Last night I tried fixing ahi tuna "en papillote", which is a fancy French way of healthily cooking fish wrapped up in parchment paper. For off, I used tuna that my dad caught off the coast of Carolina so it was promising. Fresh fish and veggies..how can you go wrong? I put some stir-fry veggies on top of the fish, then topped the pile off with lemon slices and sealed up in a lovely little parchment paper package and into the oven for 20. The paper is supposed to puff up and out, kind of like a souffle that you "pop" open. It was a disaster. Not only did it not puff out, the fish was so tough it was inedible. Like you couldn't even chew it. Not only that, but when I took the first bite, I forgot to take off the lemon so when I bit into the lemon rind, I had to rush to the trashcan and spit it out.

One of the worst dinners ever.
  • midlomel1971
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Apparently you can screw up homemade hummus (I am no chef)...
    I decided to make some a few days ago, to have on my pita bread sandwich. It had the potential to be nice, but...
    -I didn't bother draining the kidney beans or chickpeas (I thought a little bit of liquid would HELP)
    -I didn't take the shells of the chickpeas because it proved to be a waste of time in the past.
    -The beans don't taste completely cooked, even though they were canned!
    I put it in the food processor and tried hand blending it, but nope!
    Hummus soup anyone? I don't even think the dog will eat it.

If it's any consolation, I have never been able to make homemade hummus and I've tried many times. I can't get it creamy enough and there's no way in hell I'm going to shell chickpeas!! I gave up and accepted the fact that Sabra is better than anything I could make.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I decided to make some a few days ago, to have on my pita bread sandwich. It had the potential to be nice, but...
    -I didn't bother draining the kidney beans or chickpeas (I thought a little bit of liquid would HELP)
    -I didn't take the shells of the chickpeas because it proved to be a waste of time in the past.

If it's any consolation, I have never been able to make homemade hummus and I've tried many times. I can't get it creamy enough and there's no way in hell I'm going to shell chickpeas!! I gave up and accepted the fact that Sabra is better than anything I could make.

How much tahini do you use?
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Last night I tried fixing ahi tuna "en papillote", which is a fancy French way of healthily cooking fish wrapped up in parchment paper. For off, I used tuna that my dad caught off the coast of Carolina so it was promising. Fresh fish and veggies..how can you go wrong? I put some stir-fry veggies on top of the fish, then topped the pile off with lemon slices and sealed up in a lovely little parchment paper package and into the oven for 20. The paper is supposed to puff up and out, kind of like a souffle that you "pop" open. It was a disaster. Not only did it not puff out, the fish was so tough it was inedible. Like you couldn't even chew it. Not only that, but when I took the first bite, I forgot to take off the lemon so when I bit into the lemon rind, I had to rush to the trashcan and spit it out.

Generally you want to add a liquid to the pouch so there's a good source of steam. For fish, I generally use a dry white wine or vermouth.

It also helps to lay the protein on a bed of par-cooked starch (I usually use cous cous or rice) to act as another source of moist heat in the pouch. As an added bonus, the starch will absorb any juices that come out of the protein as it cooks.
  • midlomel1971
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Generally you want to add a liquid to the pouch so there's a good source of steam. For fish, I generally use a dry white wine or vermouth.

It also helps to lay the protein on a bed of par-cooked starch (I usually use cous cous or rice) to act as another source of moist heat in the pouch. As an added bonus, the starch will absorb any juices that come out of the protein as it cooks.

I did! I added a couple tablespoons of teriyaki and a tablespoon of white wine. I'll try the rice next time. I def think it was a fluke and I'll try it again...just maybe with a white fish or salmon.
  • midlomel1971
    Options

How much tahini do you use?

I'm not sure. It's been years since I tried and I was using various recipes looking for that one fantastic recipe. Now I just buy it.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Another disaster was thinking that I could use spaghetti squash as a substitute for pasta spaghetti in a spaghetti bolonges....nope!!! Ended up with lumpy, soupy nastiness.

Wait, what? I use spaghetti squash all the time as a pasta substitute with red sauce and it's lovely! How did you mess it up!? Did you cut the squash in half and roast until soft before adding it to your sauce?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I, also, messed up a perfectly good oatmeal by cooking it with whey protein isolate. Whey does not heat up well and heated, leaves a bitter aftertaste. Now I mix half as much in the finished oatmeal.

I can still cook with a third cup powdered skim milk, no problem.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Not a healthy recipe fail but a fail nonetheless. Many many moons ago, when Mr. KurumiSophia and I were first married, I got into my head that I was going to make him a roast. Not only that but I was gonna do a bacon wrapped roast because bacon makes everything better. So I'm prepping everything, cutting the veggies, seasoning and wrapping the roast. This is my very first roast and I'm following the recipe to the letter. Husband looks at me and says "Don't forget to put some liquid in there." Of course, I ignore him because there is nothing in the recipe about adding liquid of any sort and by the Gods, I am going to follow this recipe.

That was the worst mistake I ever made. It came out utterly dry and desiccated and the veggies were all burnt. I was in tears. This was supposed to be this awesome grand meal...and I made rubbish. Bless my hubby's heart. He ate it because I couldn't. It just killed me to see what was supposed to be amazing turn into something awful.

Lesson learned: ALWAYS add liquid when making a roast.
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    So I had the idea of making Jello pudding, with Almond Milk instead of regular cow's milk (My BF is lactose intolerant and looking for ways to cut out dairy). Word to the wise, it doesn't set up.

I ended up with Lemon Soup. :(

@kristen8000 It does set up! You just have to use twice as much pudding mix. I also learned this the hard way. :grimace:
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    @heavensshadow AH. I see. I'll try that next time - I guess it's just too much liquid.
  • LindaGilpin59
    LindaGilpin59 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Tried to substitute cauliflower for Pasta in macaroni and cheese. Didn't taste bad but since I didn't know to squeeze out the water from the cauliflower it was soup like.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Tried to substitute cauliflower for Pasta in macaroni and cheese. Didn't taste bad but since I didn't know to squeeze out the water from the cauliflower it was soup like.

At that point, just mash it all together and make cheesy mashed cauliflower.
  • MandaLuvsHockey
    MandaLuvsHockey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    These have made me laugh! Not good when I am supposed to be working

I follow a lady on Instagram who makes these amazing looking dishes she calls "Bubble Ups". Its basically canned biscuit dough, chopped into pieces with other ingredients. However I no longer live in Canada and can't find the dough here in the UK, so I tried to make it with the Jus-Rol lighter pastry. LOL even after hours of cooking the dough was still raw. Literally the hamburger that I used (it was a lasagna bubble up) was pretty much disintegrated
    and the dough was still raw. Won't be trying those again until I have the right ingredients!

On a positive note, I made a lasagna using butternut squash sheets and I figured it would be horrible. Instead it was completely amazing and probably better than any other I had ever made.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    I made low calorie cheesecake once but added 2 tablespoons of salt instead of 1/2 teaspoon. It was horrid lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Mandunc wrote: »
    These have made me laugh! Not good when I am supposed to be working

I follow a lady on Instagram who makes these amazing looking dishes she calls "Bubble Ups". Its basically canned biscuit dough, chopped into pieces with other ingredients. However I no longer live in Canada and can't find the dough here in the UK, so I tried to make it with the Jus-Rol lighter pastry. LOL even after hours of cooking the dough was still raw. Literally the hamburger that I used (it was a lasagna bubble up) was pretty much disintegrated
    and the dough was still raw. Won't be trying those again until I have the right ingredients!

On a positive note, I made a lasagna using butternut squash sheets and I figured it would be horrible. Instead it was completely amazing and probably better than any other I had ever made.

Zucchini lasagna is awesome too. Never tried with butternut squash but it must be delicious. Just hate cutting the things.
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    I made low calorie cheesecake once but added 2 tablespoons of salt instead of 1/2 teaspoon. It was horrid lol

For some reason that reminds me of the time I organized my pantry and moved all of my baking staples (salt, sugar, flour, etc) into these super pretty, uniform glass jars. I was going for a minimalist look and didn't have anything marked. Well, we still laugh at how badly my corn bread casserole tasted the next day when I mistakenly used a few tablespoons of salt instead of sugar. We all took one bite and, just like in a movie, spit it out.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »

For some reason that reminds me of the time I organized my pantry and moved all of my baking staples (salt, sugar, flour, etc) into these super pretty, uniform glass jars. I was going for a minimalist look and didn't have anything marked. Well, we still laugh at how badly my corn bread casserole tasted the next day when I mistakenly used a few tablespoons of salt instead of sugar. We all took one bite and, just like in a movie, spit it out.

Oh that reminds me. Was making cookies at a friend's house, his containers are not marked either... I mistook powdered sugar for flour. We had a good laugh and he didn't even care that I wasted all his supplies.