Let me hear your well intended healthy recipe FAILS

Options
12346»

Replies

• guysgal1174
    guysgal1174 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid I wanted to bake a cake. I chose an apple spice snacking cake. The instructions stated 1/4 cup white vinegar OR apple cider vinegar. I didn't read the OR so it became AND. We ate "vinegar" cake for dessert that night lol.
  • nusisauk47
    nusisauk47 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    I made low calorie cheesecake once but added 2 tablespoons of salt instead of 1/2 teaspoon. It was horrid lol

For some reason that reminds me of the time I organized my pantry and moved all of my baking staples (salt, sugar, flour, etc) into these super pretty, uniform glass jars. I was going for a minimalist look and didn't have anything marked. Well, we still laugh at how badly my corn bread casserole tasted the next day when I mistakenly used a few tablespoons of salt instead of sugar. We all took one bite and, just like in a movie, spit it out.

Oh that reminds me. Was making cookies at a friend's house, his containers are not marked either... I mistook powdered sugar for flour. We had a good laugh and he didn't even care that I wasted all his supplies.

And it reminded me mistaking garlic powder with white pepper. Exactly same spice bottles with same color caps. And I do love garlic so I just seasoned the veggies with a big big big amount of it as I was lazy to play with the regular garlic that day.
    Thanks god I do like spicy things too but well I've learnt my boundaries.
  • JESS96921
    JESS96921 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Salad... followed by 6 chocolate bourbons, loads of celebrations and a glass of wine
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    nusisauk47 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    I made low calorie cheesecake once but added 2 tablespoons of salt instead of 1/2 teaspoon. It was horrid lol

For some reason that reminds me of the time I organized my pantry and moved all of my baking staples (salt, sugar, flour, etc) into these super pretty, uniform glass jars. I was going for a minimalist look and didn't have anything marked. Well, we still laugh at how badly my corn bread casserole tasted the next day when I mistakenly used a few tablespoons of salt instead of sugar. We all took one bite and, just like in a movie, spit it out.

Oh that reminds me. Was making cookies at a friend's house, his containers are not marked either... I mistook powdered sugar for flour. We had a good laugh and he didn't even care that I wasted all his supplies.

And it reminded me mistaking garlic powder with white pepper. Exactly same spice bottles with same color caps. And I do love garlic so I just seasoned the veggies with a big big big amount of it as I was lazy to play with the regular garlic that day.
    Thanks god I do like spicy things too but well I've learnt my boundaries.

My wife's parents live with us, and my MIL is constantly moving things around and reorganizing things. She does this all over the house, not just the kitchen. Usually it just means I can't find anything or I buy stuff we don't need because I didn't see it and assumed we're out, but there was that time she emptied the corn starch into an unlabeled glass jar, then refilled the corn starch container with baking soda.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Not mine, but a coworker told me yesterday that her husband made their usual morning green smoothie but, in an effort to clean our the vegetable drawer, added a leek.

I'll just let y'all imagine how that might have ended up.
  • merifey
    merifey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was trying to use up a lot of broccoli I had and decided to try a crockpot recipe for broccoli and cheddar soup. I learned never to cook that much broccoli for that long, it tasted like bitter, old greenness. Blech.

Also a long while ago, my dad wanted brownies but didn't want to make them so handed a box mix to my then 10 year old sister and said "Here you go, just follow the directions". She mistakenly used grabbed the vinegar instead of vegetable oil and my dad ended up having sweet and sour brownies.
  • SkylerSayys
    SkylerSayys Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ever had pumpkin pie without any seasoning? One year for thanksgiving the whole family decided to make pumpkin pie out of the pumpkins my grandfather grew. Since everyone was helping.... obviously we all had to forget something. We ended up with mushed pumpkin in a pie crust and it did NOT taste like pie
  • mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash did not turn out well. I wouldn't even eat it. We went out to eat instead.
  • unigirl143
    unigirl143 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I tried to make an Alfredo pasta recipe with zucchini instead of noodles. (I had just gotten my new spirallizer and wanted to test it lol). Well, I forgot to pat the water out of the zucchini and ended up with soup. At least it still tasted good.