Water Fasting...What's your experience?

Options

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I don't want to steal a thread, but cabbage soup for a day is not unhealthy. Carrots, broth, onions, garlic, and i forgot white beans for protein.
    It's better than water only, and you know OP is going to do the water fast anyway. Giving options.

That actually sounds delicious. I'm making "unstuffed cabbage soup" for dinner tomorrow night - very similar, only add ground beef. Yummo
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    My husband occasionally fasts for spiritual reasons.

I don't. I have no desire to fast for any reason unless I have to do a short term fast prior to a medical procedure - and then it is PURE HELL. Nope.

When I eat "on plan" - and make sure I meet my nutritional goals for protein, fiber, fat, etc, and drink enough to stay hydrated (for me it's 10 cups / day - otherwise I start to "feel dry") I feel GREAT - no need to "reset" anything.

When I eat too much food that has poor nutritional value and do not make sure I am hydrated enough - then I feel gross.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I hate being hungry and I get cranky when I'm hungry so, no, I wouldn't do it.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I had to do a 48 hour water fast before my brain surgery. After surgery, I ended up binging. Never again.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'd stay away from water fasting, unless it's in a metabolic ward type of environment (with doctor supervision).
  • SandDodds96
    SandDodds96 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    So recently I've been researching water fasting. Not just for my health, but I also feel very drawn to it for other personal reasons as well. An overall reset lets say. I was just wondering if anyone here has ever done one, and if so, what was your experience? In addition:

How long did you fast for?
    What were your pros/cons?
    Overall, how did you feel during and after it?
    Would you do it again, why or why not?

Just hoping to gain some insight, so that I can make a well informed decision. Thanks so much. I hope you all are having a great day and your journey is awesome :)

I did one for two days during November 2015. The pains of stomach growls got to me but I felt refreshed physically and mentally afterwards. My workouts were better.

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    So recently I've been researching water fasting. Not just for my health, but I also feel very drawn to it for other personal reasons as well. An overall reset lets say. I was just wondering if anyone here has ever done one, and if so, what was your experience? In addition:

How long did you fast for?
    What were your pros/cons?
    Overall, how did you feel during and after it?
    Would you do it again, why or why not?

Just hoping to gain some insight, so that I can make a well informed decision. Thanks so much. I hope you all are having a great day and your journey is awesome :)

The question is why even do it. To lose weight, you don't need to do any fancy gimmicks with the fanciest name....all you need is to eat less than you burn... that's it. Why make it complicated by restricting and restricting all the time.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I did a 6-day water fast in February, now I'm 2 days into a planned 8-day water fast. I supplement with electrolytes.

I know water-fasting is extremely controversial and frowned upon, but I'm really liking it. After the first couple days, your hunger just disappears. My energy levels are fine. Compared to trying to maintain a 1200 calorie diet, fasting is extremely easy. I plan to manage my maintenance weight by eating normally and occasionally water-fasting if my weight begins to creep back up.

Woo away, folks! :D

So instead of finding an appropriate maintenance, you've elected to go with binge and restrict/yo-yo cycles.

Bingeing and restricting is a vicious, mental cycle common with EDs. I can't say I've ever struggled with body image and I've never even been out of a Healthy BMI range as an adult. Do you feel that IF protocols are also ED behaviours?

I find fasting easier than sticking to a calorie deficit. Your hunger really does just go away after a couple days, it's pretty awesome.

I find fasting occasionally then eating at maintenance the rest of the time much easier than feeling hungry with a constant calorie deficit.

Anyway - as I mentioned, I know fasting is very controversial so I'm not surprised with backlash. So I'll just leave my anecdotal experiences in this thread and politely bow out. :)

If you're gaining weight, you're not eating at maintenance.

I said 'if my weight begins to creep back up'. Like, over months or years.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I did a 6-day water fast in February, now I'm 2 days into a planned 8-day water fast. I supplement with electrolytes.

I know water-fasting is extremely controversial and frowned upon, but I'm really liking it. After the first couple days, your hunger just disappears. My energy levels are fine. Compared to trying to maintain a 1200 calorie diet, fasting is extremely easy. I plan to manage my maintenance weight by eating normally and occasionally water-fasting if my weight begins to creep back up.

So instead of finding an appropriate maintenance, you've elected to go with binge and restrict/yo-yo cycles.

Bingeing and restricting is a vicious, mental cycle common with EDs. I can't say I've ever struggled with body image and I've never even been out of a Healthy BMI range as an adult. Do you feel that IF protocols are also ED behaviours?

I find fasting easier than sticking to a calorie deficit. Your hunger really does just go away after a couple days, it's pretty awesome.

I find fasting occasionally then eating at maintenance the rest of the time much easier than feeling hungry with a constant calorie deficit.

Anyway - as I mentioned, I know fasting is very controversial so I'm not surprised with backlash. So I'll just leave my anecdotal experiences in this thread and politely bow out. :)

Wouldn't be easier to lightly lower calories slightly below your TDEE and not feel starved or feel the need to restrict yourself so extremely?
  • toxikon
    Options

You're on an 8 day water fast. Following a 6 day water fast in February.

So clearly you're not actually eating at maintenance and it's not an "IF", but when. And every month(February and now March) is often. not occasional and certainly not "years"

I'm about 10lbs away from maintenance so yes, I am currently in a weight loss phase. But I'm planning ahead for maintenance. And I really don't want to calorie count during maintenance, so this is my way of planning to maintain my weight. Daily weigh-ins, intuitive eating, and the occasional water fast if I have weight creep.
  • toxikon
    edited March 2018
    Options

You're on an 8 day water fast. Following a 6 day water fast in February.

So clearly you're not actually eating at maintenance and it's not an "IF", but when. And every month(February and now March) is often. not occasional and certainly not "years"

I'm about 10lbs away from maintenance so yes, I am currently in a weight loss phase. But I'm planning ahead for maintenance. And I really don't want to calorie count during maintenance, so this is my way of planning to maintain my weight. Daily weigh-ins, intuitive eating, and the occasional water fast if I have weight creep.

You're all over the place here.

So you've never actually been in maintenance, but you've never actually been overweight.

All over the place? I've been around 150lbs for most of my adult life (5'7" woman). My ultimate goal weight is 130lbs. I'm currently at 140lbs. Hopefully that clears it up.