Stiff Legged Deadlifts/RDL's work hamstrings?

Options
124»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Not to beat a dead horse here, but I was talking to my trainer about posterior chain activation today (contest prep stuff). I mentioned this debate since I was 100% certain that the hamstrings are well activated during RDL, but was actually skeptical about the amount of glute activation compared to hamstrings since I had heard that the American Deadlift was invented specifically to target glutes better.

Bret Contreras (The Glute Guy) of course had that covered. Thankfully he put the results in an easy to read table for a site to help cut through the scientific terms in the study.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/inside-the-muscles-best-leg-glute-and-calf-exercises

And would you just lookie there. RDL has one of the highest peak EMG activation values for the hamstrings of any leg exercise. Science.

Which correlates perfectly with my n=1 that even though I consistently do RDLs twice a week, they still give me DOMS in my hamstrings (and nowhere else). Surprising for an exercise that supposedly doesn't work the hamstrings.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    My son qualified as a PT (REPs level 2 and 3) - I was shocked at quite how low a level of knowledge was required....

Which perhaps goes some way to explain quite how many awful PTs are around that spout utter nonsense, the qualification really should be regarded as the start of the process of gaining knowledge.
    To do that requires both study and some humility.

I have looked into getting some quals. 99% of courses on offer are woeful at best. The very good courses are expensive and worth it but expensive (hence why I haven't gone forward and formalised my knowledge and picked up the skills to feel confident to be paid for it).

The amount of weekend courses is shocking.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I remember taking a break from lifting due to a bad flare of my PsA and easing back into it with Strong Curves bodyweight routine. You do RDLs with a stick in that. I still remember the hamstring DOMS even without any load from doing them. They're activated just from body mechanics and proper form.

The lowering myself onto the toilet whilst gripping the sink after too long off from squats and deads struggle is real.

that struggle is real! hover . . . hover . . . hover . . . DROP!

...and then you're stuck there until you build up the courage to get up, knowing full well you'll just have to go through it all again later.

:s

That is when you rock back and forth and let your forward momentum get you off, then straighten up.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Does a back-peddling bicycle work your hamstrings?

Asking for a friend.

I'm pretty sure it works out the abdominals... :laugh: