Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Planet Fitness Just Came to My Town...

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    atjays wrote: »
    There's no reason to be dropping weights and being extra loud just for attention.

Clearly you've never lifted a weight heavy enough to think it's for attention...

I've pulled close to 700 for deads, while I'm not dropping them from the top, they don't always come down easy. Or squats, after a rough set, sometimes I kinda "fall" into the rack to put them back.

If I look over, and it's 700 or even 400 worth of plates, I'm pretty MEH about the whole thing. If I look over and its 225, and He's adding 45s on each side and 90 seconds later it goes crash again, depending on my mood it's entirely possible I'm going to ask him to be a little more courteous.
    There's no reason to be dropping weights and being extra loud just for attention.

Clearly you've never lifted a weight heavy enough to think it's for attention...

I've pulled close to 700 for deads, while I'm not dropping them from the top, they don't always come down easy. Or squats, after a rough set, sometimes I kinda "fall" into the rack to put them back.

If I look over, and it's 700 or even 400 worth of plates, I'm pretty MEH about the whole thing. If I look over and its 225, and He's adding 45s on each side and 90 seconds later it goes crash again, depending on my mood it's entirely possible I'm going to ask him to be a little more courteous.

This

Honestly, I'd like an alarm or an airhorn. to get his attention, since he just woke up the whole gym with a weight that isn't a big deal.

that would depend on the lifter and where they are in programming...and people's grips do slip or they do get tired...

I never got why people are noise averse to a gym ...I mean people are lifting heavy things, there will be noise..

I had to opportunity to work our at the Arlington TX Metroflex (Ronnie Coleman's home gym) while travelling. Suppose to be one of the most hardcore gyms in the US. They say they don't worry about noise from weights dropping because the music drowns it out.

That being said, people were respecting the equipment when I was there. Any dropping of weights was on the lifting platforms, no random throwing of 30 pound dumbbells as I have seen some places. Everyone was super nice or minding their own business.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    1) I love the theory that you don't seriously engage in strength training if you don't do a lot of epic powerlifting exercises. I'm in my late 40s and I use strength training to support functional strength activities(sports, scuba diving, cycling, running, etc), maintain muscle, and maintain bone density while being careful to preserve my joints and connective tissue. You reach a stage in your life where your gym PRs are less important than maintaining an injury-free level of physical fitness. Most of the really big alpha-dog lifters who I have known over the years have become hobbled by the time they reach their middle ages and are doing very little in the gym anymore.

2) People drop weights and slam the stacks on the machines at PF all of the time. There are huge ceiling fans, music is playing, and most people have headsets, so it isn't like an occasional drop is startling a lot of people. I have never seen management chastise anyone, ever. I have never heard the lunk alarm activated, ever.

They buy their fans from a company called "Big *kitten* fans". True story.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

This

Honestly, I'd like an alarm or an airhorn. to get his attention, since he just woke up the whole gym with a weight that isn't a big deal.

that would depend on the lifter and where they are in programming...and people's grips do slip or they do get tired...

I never got why people are noise averse to a gym ...I mean people are lifting heavy things, there will be noise..

Some people are just noise averse full stop. I don't mind people dropping weights in the least, but it sure does startle me every time it happens.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    When I'm doing dumbbell bench press, there's no way I can set the weights down without dropping them (well, about a foot from the floor). Lowering the weights to the floor would pull my arms out of their sockets.
    And if a loud alarm goes off when I'm doing said presses, what if it startles me and I drop the weights on my face?

I respectfully disagree. You can lower to your knees and then stand up, the reverse of how you started; you don't pick them up off the floor. I do this up to 120lb dumbells and I don't think PF even has any above 60lbs or so.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    The good thing about PF -
    Always clean, everything is put back in place, all of the machines are in great shape, I see a lot less of the new folks there looking worried they are getting judged (Don't take me wrong. They still are, but it is more on the things they do. But they feel more comfortable there. And that makes the difference between a person who returns over and over, and a person who avoids the place), I don't have a dozen personal trainers trying to get me to hire them. The folks behind the counter don't try to sell me crap, except eye protection and lotion when I use the tanning beds, and even that is limited to "Do you have eye protection and lotion?".

The bad -
    It is limited. I'd like to have free barbell weights, as the dumbbells stop at 75lbs. But then again, 85% of the PF crowd is not benching over 150lbs, so they cater to the audience they have.

My wife prefers PF over the gym we used to be at, specifically because at PF she doesn't feel like she is being compared to the dancers, cheerleaders, and gymnast, who came over from the collage that was half a mile away.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    1) I love the theory that you don't seriously engage in strength training if you don't do a lot of epic powerlifting exercises. I'm in my late 40s and I use strength training to support functional strength activities(sports, scuba diving, cycling, running, etc), maintain muscle, and maintain bone density while being careful to preserve my joints and connective tissue. You reach a stage in your life where your gym PRs are less important than maintaining an injury-free level of physical fitness. Most of the really big alpha-dog lifters who I have known over the years have become hobbled by the time they reach their middle ages and are doing very little in the gym anymore.

2) People drop weights and slam the stacks on the machines at PF all of the time. There are huge ceiling fans, music is playing, and most people have headsets, so it isn't like an occasional drop is startling a lot of people. I have never seen management chastise anyone, ever. I have never heard the lunk alarm activated, ever.

They buy their fans from a company called "Big *kitten* fans". True story.

One of my son's friends works in sales for Big *kitten* Fans. I've seen their biggest products in a manufacturing facility that builds mining trucks.

Also true story, when the company started they were called Jones Fan Company or something generic like that. People would talk to the sales reps and tell them they wanted some of those big *kitten* fans like they saw at another facility. They were hearing the request for big *kitten* fans so much, they decided that would be a better company name.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If @staffordshire62 maintains a PF membership just so he can do 2 hours on a Cybex Arc machine several times a week, I shall henceforth and forevermore refrain from piling on to any PF gripe fest.
  • PAGinger
    PAGinger Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    PAGinger wrote: »
    The discrimination is unbelievable. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbK3wWpWNto

That was HILARIOUS!!!

I agree, but hopefully you realize that this is a complete parody that has no basis in reality. The atmosphere at PF is essentially the same as a community rec center. Everyone who is raging against the PF machine has almost certainly never set foot in one.

Of course it's a parody; that's why I laughed like I'd completely lost my mind. :D
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey folks - just a reminder that we do indeed have community guidelines. Part of those guidelines state we're to be respectful of all groups. That INCLUDES people who choose to use Planet Fitness. No one likes to be judged for their choice of gym/diet/exercise/shoes/whatever.

This discussion was cleaned up a bit to get it back on track and remove some posts that violated guidelines. If you feel your post was removed in error, PM me and we'll talk.

Cheers,
    Em

• cleoallen2
    cleoallen2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love the PF near me. I am older and out of shape but I don't feel intimidated when I go to the gym. It is clean, the machines are always in good repair and the staff can not be beat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    cleoallen2 wrote: »
    I love the PF near me. I am older and out of shape but I don't feel intimidated when I go to the gym. It is clean, the machines are always in good repair and the staff can not be beat.

I have never felt intimated in any gym...
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

What "intimidates" you about other gyms?
  • Packerjohn
    edited July 2017
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

I'm playing psychologist here and will probable get some crap but here it goes. I would guess people that are intimidated by gyms have anxiety issues that impact other aspects of their lives also. Plant Fitness via their marketing and policies projects themselves as not the stereotypical gym to draw in people with these issues.

They also get people who just want a cheap place to use cardio machines and a limited array of resistance equipment.

Just a business trying to fill some niches.

• peggy75mf
    peggy75mf Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Pros:
    _Cheap 10$/month plus ~35$ yearly charge
    _Open for 24 hours and 7 days a week!!
    Many cardio devices!! (I have never waited for a machine even in the peak hours)

Con:
    -Yearly contranct!! Plus if you do not notify the last month you will be enrolled the whole upcoming year and will be charged again!!
    -Eventhough sometimes they offer special "no comitment" registrations, after one or two month the yearly maintnance cost is taken out of your account without any notifiation!

==>So im my view, if someone is sure that will go for a full year that's ok. But if not, will hate them !!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Also never any reason to belittle people who are already terrified being at the gym in the first place.

i think you're confusing the doing of deadlifts with belittlement of other people . . . ?
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    jseams1234 wrote: »

I'm playing psychologist here and will probable get some crap but here it goes. I would guess people that are intimidated by gyms have anxiety issues that impact other aspects of their lives also. Plant Fitness via their marketing and policies projects themselves as not the stereotypical gym to draw in people with these issues.

They also get people who just want a cheap place to use cardio machines and a limited array of resistance equipment.

Just a business trying to fill some niches.

On some level I will buy into this. I have a bit of social anxiety, I always feel socially awkward. I feel a bit of anxiety when I got into foreign situations, including new gyms. And I say this as a police officer and someone who has some level of success in a strength sport.

• VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I hate Planet Fitness. Because, I love squats and deadlifts. Neither of which can be done there.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I have no issues with PF, find it convenient and cheap as a secondary gym.
    If the lifting room at work went away, yes there would be no squats or DL, until I figured out how to get back at them, but in the meantime I could get a good solid lifting session in at PF.
  • aaaaxx
    aaaaxx Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I have a PF membership for weekends only, because it's the only gym near me. Don't listen to BS, free bagel pizza etc have nothing to do with you. If you are serious about working out, you will get a workout. Only thing I hate are the Smith machines, so squats and bench suck, deadlifts are not non-existent. PF is fine for the average lifter.

Lots of folks at my PF doing Smith DLs

Not with proper form...

Proper for a free DL? or for a smith DL?

Proper form for picking up heavy dead weight from the floor cannot be achieved with the slanted angle forced by standard smith machines.

I do everything free weight except my squats as I can't lift that heavy of a bar from the ground over my head to my shoulders. So always used the Smith machine which felt unnatural. After going to a cross fit gym their advice was only squat what you can deadlift and shoulder press in the same move. This made my squat super light but I did get so much stronger. Was very surprised