Need cheap recipes for large family

Options

Replies

• Jaine86
    Jaine86 Posts: 36
    Options
    I make vegetable and buckwheat soup a lot it's roughly $20 but lasts at least a week and can be made into 10 meals depending on serve size.

I know everyone's taste is different but this is what I use:

3 potato, 3 zucchini, 3 celery sticks, 1/2 cauliflower , 1/2 pumpkin , 200gm triple smoked ham, 400gm mc Cain frozen bean, corn, carrot and peas pkt. Plus 10 cups of beef stock and 1/2 to 1 cup of organic buckwheat.
    I use masses beef stock powder added to water.

You don't need to add salt as its quite good without it.

Just add all ingredient to a pot and cook for 40-45 minutes.

Again not everyone's cup of tea for a more risotto like dish I use 3/4 cup of buckwheat and 8 cups of stock.

Feeds me for a week very filling and healthy.

My mum makes this but adds tinned crushed tomato that's another option.
  • HurricaneLindsay
    HurricaneLindsay Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    We are having a "free meals" week at my house, we are only eating food out of the pantry and freezer :)

I made a big pot of this recipe from the Appetite for Reduction cookbook - nutrition stats are already listed on MFP. Where I live, it works out to $0.40 a serving with rice!! Easily doubled.

Red Lentil and Root Veggie Dal

2 tsp olive oil (optional)
    1 medium-size onion, diced finely
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
    1/4 tsp chili flakes
    2 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
    2 tsp mild curry powde
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1/4 tsp ground cardamom
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1.25 tsp salt
    4 cups vegetable broth
    1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed
    1 1/2 pounds root vegetables (potatos, parsnips, rutabagas, turnips) diced into ½-inch pieces (I just use potatos)
    1 cup carrots, peeled, and cut into ½-inch pieces

Throw everything into the slow cooker on low for 6 hours.

Serves 6.
    Calories 240, Total Fat 3 g, Total Carbs 44 g, Dietary Fiber 16 g, Protein 12 g
  • HurricaneLindsay
    HurricaneLindsay Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    And this one is excellent! I use frozen or canned beans and skip the first 2 steps and cook the chili in the slow cooker.

http://www.plantingourpennies.com/tvp-chili-a-recipe-for-your-health-and-wealth/

TVP Chili

This recipe makes a HUGE batch of chili – about 15 1 cup servings all less than $6 if you include all the optional ingredients. It’s less than $5 if you just go with the basic version. On top of that, it’s not bad for you either! The beans soak overnight, the remainder of the recipe takes ~2 hours on the stove, but isn’t all that labor intensive.

Costs are in italics and represent regular prices in our local grocery store. If you buy in bulk, or stock up on BOGO sales, I’m quite sure you can get it for less.

Ingredients

2 c dried beans (we like at least half to be kidney beans, since they’re traditional in chili) $0.75
    1 Tbsp minced garlic (~6 cloves) $0.25
    1 large onion chopped $0.50
    3 (15oz) cans diced stewed tomatoes $2.00
    1.5 c TVP $0.60
    2 c vegetable broth (from bullion cubes is ok) $0.25
    4 tsp chili powder $0.50 for all spices
    1 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper* (more if you like a spicy chili)
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
    1 cup frozen corn (optional) $0.20
    2/3 c nutritional yeast** (optional) $0.80

1. Soak the beans overnight in water. In this batch we used 1 cup kidney beans, 1/2 cup small red beans, and 1/2 cup pinto beans.
    2. Drain beans, then in a BIG pot (ours is a big stock pot!), cover with water and a big pinch of salt. Boil for one hour until cooked.
    3. Rehydrate the TVP while the beans are cooking by heating vegetable broth for a couple minutes in microwave, then add TVP. Stir and let sit for a few minutes for the TVP to rehydrate.
    3. Add remaining non-optional ingredients. When the beans are starting to get soft after about an hour, add garlic, onion, tomatoes, rehydrated TVP, spices, and water to cover. Stir to mix, then simmer for 30 minutes.
    4. Add corn and nutritional yeast. (Both of these are optional.) Simmer another 15-20 minutes.
    5. Chili will thicken upon standing or you can add a few tablespoons of corn meal to help it thicken a bit sooner. And that’s itFor

15, 1-cup servings (includes all optional ingredients):

Cost Per Serving: $0.39
    Calories: ~100 calories
    Protein: 11 grams
  • newmommy650
    Options
    Try these tacos:
    oil
    white corn tortillas
    2 large potatoes
    sour cream
    cheese
    lettuce

boil potatoes in water.
    mash the potatoes add salt pepper.
    then heat up tortillas .
    add the smashed potato to the tortilla and role it up .
    heat up a pan with any type of oil you use to fry and fry the rolled
    up taco. repeat for how many tacos you want.
    once your done add sour cream on top of the taco some cheese and lettuce .
    you can also add a side of rice .
  • veg_runner
    veg_runner Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti and marinara sauce (get bulk quantities)
    Rice and beans/no fat refried beans (no oil or disgusting lard)
    Those are 2 really good tasty and healthy meals I can think of that I stand by and use a lot.
  • lilfunk23
    Options
    This soup is super cheap & easy. The tastiest soup I've ever had, even though i was a bit sus on the cumin & tumeric as i hadn't used them before.
    Massive kick start to you're metabolism if you use the cayenne & can fix anything from a cold coming on to ahang over!

Vegan friendly & even my partner who isn't a soup fan loves it! We usually have it with a toasted multigrain roll.

Chick pea & Veggie Soup

Ingredients (serves 6)

2 teaspoons olive oil
    1 large brown onion, chopped
    2 teaspoons ground turmeric
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon of cayenne and a few dried chili flakes (optional if you like a bit heat)
    5 cups chopped vegetables (see note)
    1L reduced-salt vegetable stock
    2 cups water
    415g can chopped tomatoes
    400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
    good sprinkle of fresh or dried parsley

Method

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook for 3 minutes. Add spices and firm vegetables (such as pumpkin, carrots, capsicum and celery). Stir to coat.

Stir in stock, water, tomatoes and chickpeas. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add tender vegetables (such as beans, broccoli, peas, zucchini). Cook for a further 5 minutes. Stir in parsley. Season with pepper. Serve.

We used sweet potato, carrots, frozen corn, capsicum, celery, broccoli and cauliflower but you could use any vegetables.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    chicken and dressing

2 boxes stove top dressing or store brand
    make to directions omitting the butter in a bowl with cold water. add in one can 99% fat free cream of mushroom soup.

put into greased casserole dish top with boneless chicken, cover with foil and bake until chicken is done at 350. this makes a lot

Left over stew:

make a meatloaf one night
    make a bit more than needed

the next night put into pot with 2 cans tomatoes and a can of tomato sauce, add water until you get your consistency to taste.
    add in can veggies or fresh veggies like onions, potatoes, celery, carrots.

cook until veggies are done. requires no extra seasoning except maybe some garlic if you like that in your soup

left over taco meat pizza:

Make tacos one night use a bit extra on beef
    but no extra seasoning

make or buy the crust
    use salsa for the sauce
    add lots of veggies, top with velveeta or velveeta queso cheese and bake until melted
    top with lettuce and fresh diced tomatoes

doesn't take a lot of velveeta, just very very thin pieces spread out. it melts and spreads on it's own.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    HI!! We have a family of 7 here!! Crockpots are my best friend....I own and use all 3 of them lol I will agree 100% with purchasing a whole roasting chicken because you get a great amount of chicken off of it! If not, then this is what I do:

boneless/skinless chicken breast- I throw about 5lbs in my crockpot with a can of low sodium chicken broth, a chopped onion for flavor and some seasoning like paprika, cumin, garlic powder,etc. I leave it on for like 6 hours on low and drain it and then shred it up. You can always let it cool down, put it in freezer bags and toss in the freezer for later use.

pork loin- same as above and I use a 5lb pork loin (expensive here if not on sale). Or when drained, shred it and add BBQ sauce.

Wheat pasta, brown rice, lots of veggies, "Salad Night" (lots of lettuce and salad fixins), whole wheat tortillas for wraps, baked potatoes, "Breafast" for dinner. That's just off the top of my head lol

My teens love English muffin pizzas: I use Thomas' Whole Wheat English muffins, pasta sauce (low sodium if possible) otherwise I use salsa and of course low fat cheese.

I would also save the broth from this - strain it - defat it (if there is much at all from just chicken breast) and use it in something else. Cook lentils in it? rice in it? Toss it in soup. Adds flavor and boosts the nutrition a little.

I'm a recent convert to lentils - replace part of the meat in a dish with them - filling, full of fiber. I like them where you would use ground beef - half and half - or all depending on what your family will go for.

If you have an Aldi's near you - super cheap produce and pretty good produce at that!

Easy on the add ons that add up like cheese, sour cream - you can make a little go a long way by keeping it on the top.

I would do the whole chicken also - pick off the meat - then couple tbs vinegar and water and all the inedibles back into crock pot - leave for the day - nutritious bone broth - add to anything for flavor boost. I use the inedibles after for dog food topping - the bones are soft as mush by then. If they aren't the broth isn't done.

The best way I think to cut food costs is to cut food waste - recycle leftovers into anything you can. Lunch, salad, soup, pasta dishes etc. I seldom have used recipes - especially in hard times - just re-invent yesterdays leftovers and then re-invent again if you can etc. until gone. Or just sit them out - heck, sometimes a bit of roast beef was just what you needed on the side of your spaghetti plate LOL. Or declare a leftover night and eat them all up. I'm also a fan of leftover freezing - for later lunches.

Omelets - cheap, uses leftovers! Breakfast for supper dishes too!

Cut out unnecessary extras - chips, sodas, candy etc. Throw in a brownie mix or try a scatch brownie recipe (or other treat - depending on your needs, family and eating plan).

PB&J is a good cheapo comfort food lunch/breakfast/snack etc.

Good luck - I'm a frugalista - message me if you need advice - friend me if you want.
  • snappah1110
    Options
    great web site... thanks :happy:
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Cheap and healthy? American chop suey. I add zucchini to it, diced up small for the veggies. Baked chicken legs with rice and broccoli on the side. Homemade pizza and salad, use either a coupon for refrigerated dough or buy the frozen dough at the deli.
  • rosielko
    rosielko Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i'm sure a lot has already been said in this thread, but the first things that came to my mind were:

giant bags of dried beans, lentils, and brown rice
    tortillas
    bulk oatmeal
    pasta
    cans of NSA sauce/diced tomatoes, NSA green beans and corn
    Onions and peppers
    bulk bag of mixed frozen vegetables
    eggs
    bread
    peanut butter
    heads of lettuce
    condiments such as soy sauce, stir fry sauce
    tuna fish
  • Jaine86
    Jaine86 Posts: 36
    Options
    Baked beans on toast, cheap, protein rich and filling meal.

Body trim favourtie of mine, chicken cooked with salsa dip spread over it and a side salad.

nachos ( chips, salsa dip and a small handful of cheese)

Fried rice is quick easy and cheap plus filling.

Risotto is cheap filling
  • SoftasRaine
    SoftasRaine Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bump for later:)
  • Raizie
    Raizie Posts: 11
    Options
    Love this thread.
    I haven't read all the posts, but eggs are a great, inexpensive food... scrambled with sauteed veggies, quiche, poached on toast. Potatoes, white and/or sweet are a great side dish.
  • mariadove
    mariadove Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Flexible Dinner Recipe w Goya Corned Beef and Pink Beans

The following recipe was verbally explained to me by a salesman, named Enio, from Goya in 2009:

(Enio was from the Webster, MA warehouse or distribution center.)

Flexible Dinner Recipe w Goya Corned Beef and Pink Beans

White Rice, cooked, enough for your family. Brown rice may be cooked if preferred.
    Green Pepper, chopped. (I cut mine the size of a nickel, or thereabouts.)
    Goya Corned Beef
    Goya Pink Beans
    Corn, canned, drained. I use low sodium/no salt added, if available.

After Goya EVOO and green, diced peppers have been sautéed in a large skillet, add Goya Corned Beef and sauté. Later, add drained Goya Pink Beans and some whole kernel canned corn, drained. Simmer while flavors blend together. Add water to keep the mixture loose.

Serve over the cooked brown or white rice.

I told him he should go to the Goya website and find out how to make a video with his recipe!

Re: Goya packaged rice with cheese and broccoli: I also add steamed broccoli, either fresh or frozen, to the packaged Goya product to extend it for my family. I think it looks better, and it should be healthier to eat.

Enio also explained to me why Goya Garbanzo Beans are superior in that they do not peel. I buy low sodium Goya Garbanzo Beans whenever available.

I extend many thanks to Enio and to Goya. I hope, for his family’s sake, that he has been promoted and that Goya will ask him to make video recipes with Goya products. He was so very helpful to my family’s nutrition! (We are descended from Irish heritage and would not have elsewise known about this recipe using “Pink Beans”.)
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Crock pot Mexican chicken, Chicken breasts, jar salsa, jar of jalapenos optional, or green chiles, variety of spices you like, chili pepper, cumin, black pepper, garlic, cayenne pepper. cook overnight .

Eggs?
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Meatloaf- 1 pkg ground hamburger,3 slices bread crumbled,3 eggs,diced cheese,minced onions,crush red pepper flakes if you like it spicier and either ketchup or BBQ sauce whatever you like...mix it up and cook it 375 degrees for about an hr and 20 minutes.

Apricot Chicken-Pkg frozen Chick Tenderloins, Bake Chicken in oven 375. Meanwhile in baking pan mix Sugar Free Apricot Preserves, 2 small cans Chicken Broth, Black Pepper, dash salt pour over chicken when its just about done cooking n cook it for last 10 minutes in that.

Easy Chili- Brown hamburger and onions in red wine vinegar....Meanwhile in Stockpot throw in 3 cans butter beans,3 cans diced tomatoes w/jalepenos,1 large can tomatoe puree,2 chopped up fresh jalepenos,3 cans beef broth,1 pkt chili seasonings,1 large jar or pkg of mushrooms, crushed red pepper flakes

Easy potatoe hotdish-In baking pan spray with olive oil....put in one frozen pkg o'brien potatoes,1 can cheddar cheese soup,1 can cream mushroom soup,1 can cream celery soup, abt 1 soup can worth of milk, 1 can chunk ham or spam. Cook at 375 for about 35 minutes.

Chef Salad-Buy large pkg deli turkey-dice it up,large pkg deli ham-dice it up,1 onion diced up, about 4 hard boiled eggs diced up.,shredded cheddar, whatever dressing you like I like light Catalina. Take couple bags spring mix lettuce. Mix it all up very fast n easy

Buy frozen meatballs-cook in oven with BBQ sauce and vinegar super quick really easy
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    popcorn salad-4-5 mini bags microwave popcorn popped,1 small onion diced, diced celery,2 small cans water chestnuts,1 small bag slivered almonds,1 jar Bac O's or crumbled pre cooked bacon,1/2 small bag shred cheese,Briannas Poppyseed Dressing
  • happybrain090
    Options
    I live in a family of 7-10 and a popular meal that we have is chicken breast/stewing beef, potatoes (any kind), mixed veggies and spices mixed together and put in the oven.