Need cheap recipes for large family

Options
123457»

Replies

• tasha_1306
    tasha_1306 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wow! Everyone but me lives someplace where chicken breasts are cheap, I guess! I'd like to go there.

I thought about the same thing. I live in Canada, and meat, especially boneless chicken breasts here are expensive.
    I bought 1 tray that has 4 pcs of chicken breast $ 24.99. Even fresh veggies and fruits prices are crazy expensive.
    I spend $ 200 week easy on our grocery a week for myself and two teenagers, not including junk food.

I live in QLD, Australia and Chicken breast here with skin off is around $10 a kilo. I bought 4 chicken breasts the other day and it was $16. Sliced turkey here can be up to $25 a kilo and is generally always more expensive then chicken breast. You can get the 1kg ones to roast in the oven for around $20 at christmas time.
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • WhitneySheree88
    WhitneySheree88 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Bump! Some wonderful ideas here!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    popcorn salad-4-5 mini bags microwave popcorn popped,1 small onion diced, diced celery,2 small cans water chestnuts,1 small bag slivered almonds,1 jar Bac O's or crumbled pre cooked bacon,1/2 small bag shred cheese,Briannas Poppyseed Dressing

Interesting idea. I wanted to add that you can just buy the popcorn kernels and air pop them in a brown paper bag. Much cheaper
  • julzzz4
    julzzz4 Posts: 72
    Options
    :wink:
  • LMick1986
    LMick1986 Posts: 431
    Options
    Bump!
  • Acxa
    Acxa Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    c
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    One of my fav fun meals is pretty simple, can be as cheap as you want it to be, and can easily be doubled for your family.

1 pound ground pork or sweet italian sausage
    2 cans rotelle tomatoes with peppers
    1 can black beans
    1 can sweet yellow corn
    1 bottle A1 Sauce
    1 bag tortilla chips

brown and drain the meat, then add the rotelle tomatos. Let simmer about 5 minutes, then add all the other ingredients (except the chips :wink: ). Let simmer for about half an hour, or you can crock it.

It can either be eaten as chilli, or use the chips and scoop it. Both ways are fabulous! Last time I made it the cost was $15.
    You can actually do fresh tomato's and peppers as well, but it will need to simmer a little longer before adding the remaining ingredients.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Crocked fresh beef/chicken soup.

2 pounds chicken cubed/beef cubes for stew
    4 bullion cubes
    6 cups water
    Veggies of your choice (I typically do frozen green beans, lima's, corn, chopped baby carrots and chopped spinach)
    1 can tomatoes (I run mine through the processor and it adds a nice flavor)

Do a quick sear of your meat in a pan, I use 2tbs olive oil, throw the bullion cubes and water in the crock then add the meat and veggies. Let simmer for about 7-8 hours. Season to your taste. I add garlic, s&p, sometimes a little fresh basil depending on the veggies I used. Quick, easy, filling and very good for you!
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    there are several web sites that promote healthy food plans for your crock pot. One on pinterest has 34 meals for 150.00. Google it