60 Minutes per Month Plank Challenge - August 2017

Spliner1969
Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
This is a pretty simple challenge thread for those that want to have some accountability with their plank workouts. This plank challenge thread is meant to be flexible enough that people of various fitness levels should be able to successfully complete it as long as they are consistent with doing their planks regularly.

Challenge Goal - 60 minutes of planks for the month. That's about 2 minutes of planks daily, or 3 minutes of planks for 20 days or 5 minutes of planks for 12 days...or...what ever you want to do to reach the challenge goal.
>>If you are already a planking superstar or start to consistently hit the challenge goal, feel free to post your own goal at the beginning of the challenge that is higher than the one for the posted challenge. Or post an updated goal once you hit 60 minutes.
>>If you join us late in the month, feel free to post an alternate goal that is in the spirit of the original challenge (for example, joining around the 15th would be a 30 minute plank challenge to finish out the month).

How many sets? As many as you need. If you can do a 5 minute plank in one set, that is amazing!! If you want to do a few sets of 1 - 2 minute planks, that's cool! If you need to break up your planks into multiple sets of 15-30 seconds, that's okay too!

Types of planks? ALL planks and their variations count! Straight arm planks, forearm/elbow planks, side planks, reverse planks, etc. This allows you to vary your planks depending on your personal workout goals. (See next post for a variety of planking ideas.)

How to join / participate? Just post the total minutes of the planks you did for the day and your running total for the month. No spreadsheets, no groups. Easy peasy.

Last month's 60 minute plank challenge thread:
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10571878/60-minutes-per-month-plank-challenge-july-2017

Welcome and get planking!!

Continuing this challenge once again for @b3achy, the original author. All credit goes to her for starting this thing many many moons ago. All examples, quoted text, and ideas were, and still are, hers. I take no credit here, just keeping the torch lit in her absence. Stay tuned for some examples, and happy planking!

I'd like to add (as stated above in bold) that it has long since been a tradition that we accept any goal. If you don't feel you can do 60 minutes, or if you start late in the month, we want you here. So post your personal goal and start planking. You can come back each month and increase your times until you reach the challenge goal or go beyond it. Some of us go way beyond it and that's ok too. We have never been judgemental. Everyone needs a strong core, and we believe this is the path to that goal!

Replies

• Spliner1969
    30 Day Beginner Plank Challenge - builds to a 2 minute plank (total is 26 minutes and 55 seconds for the month, so 33 minutes and 5 seconds short of 60 minutes. Recommend doing multiples earlier in the program when they are shorter to get more minutes for 60):
    30-day-plank-workout6.jpg

30 Day Advanced Plank Workout - building to 5 minute planks (total is 53 minutes and 20 seconds for the month, so 6 minutes and 40 seconds short of 60 minutes unless you do multiples earlier in the program):
    30-day-plank-challenge-chart.jpg

Here's an Alternate 30 Day Plank Workout (for beginners, intermediate, and advanced) that also builds to 5 minutes of Planks (by doing multiples of no more than 30 sec planks; also 53 minutes and 20 seconds for the month):
    30-day-plank-challenge-10-1024.jpg?cb=1438051399
    For details on the variations, here's the full slideshow: http://www.slideshare.net/TodaysFitnessTrainer/30-day-plank-challenge[/quote]
    b3achy wrote: »
    Intermediate Plank Workouts:
    These are intermediate level workouts, good to try once you have a good foundation of standard planks and are looking for something more interesting or with more variety.

3 minute Bowflex Plank Workout:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynUw0YsrmSg

Rebecca Louise 5 minute Plank Workout (shows nearly proper form (butt's a little too far in the air, IMO), and modified forms):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Ge7uGpjFY

DareBee 5 minute Plank Workout:
    five-minute-plank-workout.jpg

DareBee Killer Core Plank Workout:
    killer-core-workout.jpg

Advanced Workouts:
    Do not try these if you have never done a plank before. These are workouts to build up to once you successfully establish a good foundation of standard planks (and probably only once you've managed to do some of the intermediate workouts).

15 Minute Advanced Plank Workout:
    wh-15-min-plank-workout_0.jpeg
    See details in this article ~ http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/plank-abs-workout

FitnessBlender 10 minute Advanced Plank Workout (this looks brutal):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DNN9a5pU2A
  • Spliner1969
    I'm in as usual for 180 minutes as a goal for August. ;)
  • homeschoolmom77
    homeschoolmom77 Posts: 208 Member
    I am back this month. Going to try for 60 minutes, or whatever I end up getting...
  • wanderingviolet
    wanderingviolet Posts: 1 Member
    This is my first go at a Challenge... I am in for 60 minutes.
  • Creativityfailure
    Creativityfailure Posts: 96 Member
    I'm in again. I'm upping my goal for August to be 75 minutes of planks.
  • tonyf_co
    tonyf_co Posts: 4 Member
    My first challenge sure
    Been trying to build core why not this way.
  • donnylou
    donnylou Posts: 46 Member
    I'm new at this but going to give it my best shot... :)
  • Spliner1969
    Glad to see some familiar faces, and some new ones this month! Let's get this started!

August 1, 2x4 min mixed planks, 1x2 min mixed plank (10 min)

Total for August 10 min, 170 to go!
  • homeschoolmom77
    homeschoolmom77 Posts: 208 Member
    For the first day back (in way to long),

8/1, 3 min mixed
  • Gypsa66
    Gypsa66 Posts: 10 Member
    I'm new to this whole challenge thing, but will give it my best.

My plank goal this month: 120 minutes modified plank/60 minutes regular plank.

Today 8/1: 2 minute modified/1 minute regular plank
  • donnylou
    donnylou Posts: 46 Member
    8/1/17 3 x 15 seconds modified
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    edited August 2017
    I'm in for the 30-day beginner challenge! My goal is 26:55 for the month.
    8/1: 15 seconds
  • brentleyann1
    brentleyann1 Posts: 37 Member
    I'm in. I can't really do a plank right now so I want to do the beginner plank to get to two minutes at once in 30 days.
  • brentleyann1
    brentleyann1 Posts: 37 Member
    I forgot to add time.
    8/1: 15 sec.
  • lbenson2006
    lbenson2006 Posts: 3,372 Member
    I'm in for 75 minimum.

8/2 - 7 minutes mixed

Goal - 75
    Left to Goal - 68
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    8/1: 15 seconds
    8/2: 3 x 20 seconds - was feeling planky this morning
    1:15/26:55 completed
  • ggggg9697
    ggggg9697 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm in.
    I'll do 2min/day
  • Spliner1969
    August 1, 2x4 min mixed planks, 1x2 min mixed plank (10 min)
    August 2, 2x4 min mixed planks, 1x2 min mixed plank (10 min)

Total for August 20 min, 160 to go!
  • cbt1219
    cbt1219 Posts: 8 Member
    I know I'm a bit late but I'm in for 60 mins!
    Since I missed yesterday I did 3 minutes today and I'll do 3 minutes tomorrow. Then I'll be on track!

8/2: 4x30 plank, 1x30 side plank (both sides)
    3/60 minutes complete
  • Creativityfailure
    Creativityfailure Posts: 96 Member
    August 1st- 3 minutes
    August 2nd- 4 minutes

August total: 7 minutes; 68 minutes left to goal