Does Slim Fast really work? Well it has for me..

Options

Replies

• tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I did awesome on Slim Fast, I lost 50lbs, unfortunatly I gained about 75lbs back when I stopped. But best of luck to you and I hope you can keep it off.
  • theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it works? of course, you're limiting your calorie consumption.
    But the shake it self is no magic to it.... i could tell you to take a multivitamin and drink a glass of almond milk in replacement of one meal a day and you'd lose weight that way too..
  • feathernaut
    feathernaut Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm a little disturbed by how vicious some of these replies are. Aren't we all supposed to be adults, here?
  • dfaith999
    dfaith999 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like meal replacement shakes. If I don't have time to prepare a calorie-controlled meal, they are very convenient. I don't think they are a long-term solution, but an ok way lose the weight while educating oneself about proper nutrition.

I think discouraging the person who originally posted this is a bit mean. All I would say to that person is, while losing the weight on what is well-known to be a crash diet, try to familiarize yourself with proper long-term nutrition so you can gradually taper off of the liquid diet without gaining back all of your hard work.

Good luck.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I will have a protein shake once in a while for breakfast, but that's usually after my workout..otherwise I prefer real food.
  • mgeralt
    mgeralt Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    wow... I think I touched a nerve by talking about what has worked for me.. oh well. to each there own...
  • mgeralt
    Options
    I'm a little disturbed by how vicious some of these replies are. Aren't we all supposed to be adults, here?

I am too but oh well.. I am doing good and thought I would just share.. Didn't realize I would get so much "Slimfast Backlash" lol
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Well thank you for your "overwhelming" words of support.. lol BTW, I don't plan on doing Slim Fast forever.. You shouldn't assume someone who does these shake diets is completely ignorant of the fact that they are not a forever thing.. DUH... Most of us know this already. Sometimes what you may call the "right way" to lose weight doesn't always work for everyone..

The Right Way is called that because short cuts have difficulties and failure points all around them. To quote the movie road trip "if the shortcut was easy, it would just be called the way." Shakes are a shortcut that will make you lose weight, but without embracing the 'right way' after you will gain it all back. You know it is a short term fix for a long term problem but kudos for losing the weight, now you just have to learn how not to put it back on. Good luck
  • mgeralt
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!
  • mgeralt
    Options
    I like meal replacement shakes. If I don't have time to prepare a calorie-controlled meal, they are very convenient. I don't think they are a long-term solution, but an ok way lose the weight while educating oneself about proper nutrition.

I think discouraging the person who originally posted this is a bit mean. All I would say to that person is, while losing the weight on what is well-known to be a crash diet, try to familiarize yourself with proper long-term nutrition so you can gradually taper off of the liquid diet without gaining back all of your hard work.

Good luck.

Thank you for your kind words..
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast, along with all other shake diets will work.... because they lower calorie intake if you stick to their plan. Normally that plan requires someone to eat far too little calories in a day. The shakes themselves will not cause you to lose weight other than restricting your calories.... which you can do for cheaper and higher quality with real food.

What will you do when you reach your goal and want to start eating normally again? You haven't learned how to lose weight without the shakes so are you going to continue drinking them forever? Shake diets are temporary weight loss normally as the person doing them has not learned how to manage portions, how to make proper meals (all meals, not just dinner), etc.

This!
  • mgeralt
    Options
    WOW.. I did not realize talking about what has worked for me would turn on the mean like it has.. Geez... I appreciate the constructive criticizm to a certain degree because it can only make us stronger and better, but not the mean...
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I had GREAT success with slim fast a few years back. I had a shake for breakfast, a shake for lunch and whatever i wanted for dinner. I also went on the cross trainer for half an hour at lunch and did the Nike Kinetic programme on the playstation. I went from a UK size 16 down to a UK size 8!

Afterwards I gained because size 8 just looked wrong, but now I am a 14, 12 wannabe, but happy.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    You have found something that has temporarily worked for you. Great. Do you have a plan for when you stop drinking the shakes?
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Mean in the sense that people disagree with what you are doing? That is not mean that is simply a difference of opinion. many people here need to learn the difference between the two.

:flowerforyou:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I tried Slim Fast a number of years ago. I was hungry all the time, and it made me constipated. Not good. Needless to say, I didn't stay on it, and I have since found out I can eat more than 1200 calories of good real food and still lose weight
  • mgeralt
    Options
    I tried Slim Fast a number of years ago. I was hungry all the time, and it made me constipated. Not good. Needless to say, I didn't stay on it, and I have since found out I can eat more than 1200 calories of good real food and still lose weight

My husband had the same problem on Slim Fast. I guess I have just been lucky I haven't had any problems..
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I incorporate slimfast in with my regular diet...I use it when I don't have good options on hand...it has worked for me along with proper diet and exercise.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Its worked well for me. I like it a lot. I feel full and satisfied. And its easy. I tend to use it more on the weekdays when I'm busy and less on the weekends when I have time to prepare meals.

After I reach my goal, I don't see any problem with transitioning to a regular diet. If I know my maintenance calories and eat at that level, it won't be a problem. I don't like when people say 'you won't know how to eat a regular diet'. If its a simple as calories in and calories burned, I'm not sure what the discussion is.

I've found you just have to do what works for you and ignore everyone else. Good luck to you on your weight loss journey!
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    ...I do want to kindly make a little correction - to say one thing about me - you say diets are not easy, well, mine is pretty easy. I follow the guidelines here and it is pretty easy,and i do eat real food, and actually food i enjoy....

Same for me here ^.