WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    My pics are all taken on a phone, except for the one in St Petersburg, which I took on my tablet to avoid inadvertently getting phone charges. I have to send the pictures when I have data in port as the ship WiFi can't support sending photos. My phone is 13 mp . The WiFi did send the lower resolution pic from my tablet.
    Sea day today. Line dancing. I've been swimming. :D
    Love Heather UK XXXXXX
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    DH takes masses of proper photos with our camera. I'm just taking a few I think you and my friends might like. Sometimes I take one for the grandkids. :D I haven't managed to take a really silly one yet.
    Yesterday I sent the grandkids a postcard, but I put the wrong house number on it. :'( Perhaps they can go down to no. 31 and ask them to send it on. :/
    Lecture in a few minutes on Wismar in Germany. I hope to practice my German there. I have been doing some every day on the ship. Then one on the Hanseatic merchants and Holbein' s portraits of them.
    Tomorrow we are docking at Bornholm, which is a Danish island. It gets a bit confusing when the lectures are out of sinc. ;):#
    Will do Rock and Roll with DH after lunch and an exercise session late afternoon. o:)
    Love to all, thinking of you.
    Heather UK <3
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Ms. Dorrie I am sorry to read your news. I know many of us will be thinking of you and sending our good hopes your way.
    Allie I sort of mistrust lawyers and court stuff. Be careful and stand strong.
    Carol in GA A birthday! I would use a dancing emoji but forgot how to make it.
    Dogs went out, e-mail read, laundry in dryer. Going back to bed until at least 6:30.
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Happy Terrific Tuesday Ladies! :):)

I have spent the last 3 weeks or so being off track. :( Thanks goodness I am only showing a 2.4 pound recapture of pounds. I started smoking again but this morning I am almost at 24 hours without a cigarette. I think it’s going to be alright. However, yesterday I had to fight myself against running out to get a pack. Today my goal is to get back on my water drinking regime and take Blue for a walk.

I declared Saturday morning as a “Me” morning. So I had a manicure, pedicure, and facial waxing. That was great! :) I am going to remember that I need to make that part of my monthly routine because I felt so good afterwards. Saturday night DH and I went out to one of my favorite restaurants with three other couples. We had a great time. The food was pretty good. DH had a lobster pop-tart which was to die for. I had a chance to have frogmore stew which was a vegetable broth (I think) with shrimp, mussels, andouille sausage, and a couple cubes of potato. It was extremely spicy/salty. I had considered adding it to our at home meal menu substituting the andouille sausage with beef sausage and extra spices (DH does not eat any pork products) but don’t think I will now. I thought it would be more like a low country boil. Rounded out dinner with a piece of cherry chocolate torte which was wonderful. DH ate half of it which was good.

Michele in NC: It will soon be over! Always sending you hugs!

Josephine: Sending you hugs! We’ve been working with the VA for the last ten years on claims. It can be a full time job. >:) Hang in there!

Okie: Congratulations on your clothing fit victory.

Rye: Love the hat. Many years ago I bought what I called my “funk hat”. :p It is black velvet with big pink roses around the crown. I wear it in the winter and never fail to receive many compliments. I bet you will too.

Allie: Glad you are a step closer. Glad your attorney gave them what for. You are rolling right along. Thirty years ago my child support for two children was just $250. I think you did ok! Make sure you pay attention to Lenora’s advice regarding tax liabilities.

Carol: A Belated Happy Birthday to you. Hope you had a wonderful day!

Dorrie: Sending my condolences for your stepbrother. The thing I always thought about dating is that it is a time for discovery. That’s what my Mom meant about “giving it another year”. Far better to say good bye to the “mister wonderfuls” than divorcing a not so great DH. I was single for around 25 years before DH. I found that potential relationships usually started out euphorically and enjoyed those dates but always remembered my own desires foremost and didn’t have any trouble choosing to continue following my own path. Apparently, I got so good at it that my daughter started calling me “Big Pimping”. I look back on those fellows with good thoughts acknowledging that we had different paths and hoping they are happy on their chosen paths. I don’t think I went longer than a couple of months without a date or new interest even when I was at 275.

Heather: I am enjoying your travel pictures so much as well as your commentary.

Meg: Hi!

Dolly: Love the picture of Dolly watching the deer. I’m not sure what will happen if Blue sees a deer but pretty sure he will clear our fence and be on the run. I am thankful for his microchip!

Joyce: I had a good laugh regarding your ExSNL! Karma is a female dog!

Well, I’m working from home today so I better get with it.

Tere in RVA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    well I fell asleep last night at 5 mentally exsausted,,, got up at 3:30..this morning, and got some stuff done...
    yes I will definitely get a financial advisor and a tax accountant to help with what I need to do. don't want to break any rules...well gonna go make my lunch and take pups for a walk.
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Tuesday!
    Carol- Happy birthday!
    Lenora- Happy Anniversary!
    Dana- Love your deer pics! It always amazes me to see animals, like deer, from other areas. You always think, a deer is a deer, but they really are different depending on where they live. We grow them big up here, I imagine due to the harsher climate. When I visited my sister in Florida, their local deer were pretty small in comparison. Your deer look a good midsize. Your dog looks like she is going to jump the fence and go after them. She is sitting at attention!
    Becca- Lovely, lovely climbing roses!

Boy did I fall off the wagon yesterday. I binged on carbs. It was just me for dinner and I had some home repairs to make (I had to re hinge and re hang the bathroom door and then my fridge started leaking so I vacuumed out the coils on the bottom and drained the drip pan.), so I didn't feel like making dinner so I had zucchini bread (3 slices!) and then had 3 energy bites! I still stayed under the calorie allowance (the exercise I got yesterday gave me some wiggle room) but I don't like eating off my list and I was Waaaaaaaay off my list. Oh well, we carry on. My binge caught up with me this morning. Constipation with a capital C! Ugh! It is also that time of the month, even though I don't get my period anymore, I still go through the bloat, and other symptoms on a lesser scale. Does that eventually end? Or does our body always "mark" that time even though we don't "particpate" anymore?

That's all I have for today. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    DJ hope hip feels better soon. It is hard when it interferes with your sleep.

Wendy congratulations on your grandchild.

Kelly Warning more than you you want to think about...I learned a trick with constipation. I have a small collapsible footstool that I use to put my feet up by our toilet. If you have a newer toilet that is higher this can be even more help. Water water water and fiber too and exercise. I learned in countries where they squat constipation is rarely a problem. Hence the footstool. We are in an unnatural position with our modern day plumbing. Seems that wasn't taken into consideration when they were invented.

:heart: Margaret
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    :) I woke up extra early this morning which is a good thing because the dogs wanted to wander and play around for almost an hour for their before breakfast walk. Also, Jake got up early and wanted to talk about some stuff. My breakfast is finished now. I'll meditate (I'm up to eleven minutes and 10 seconds) and then the dogs and I will go out. We'll meet a friend at 6:00 and walk with her for 60-90 minutes.

:)MIchele, All your wedding planning stories make it clear to me why my father told me before I got married, that he'd give me $75.00 to elope. You have had more than your fair share of challenges.

<3 Barbie
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all...

Allie - I totally agree on the wage garnishing, especially considering Tom's tendencies where money is concerned. The moment he's even one day late, you should notify your attorney so she can start moving on getting the garnishment in progress--it takes a bit. Lenora was right on it being taxable income for you. So glad that it's finally all moving forward for you!

Heather - love your travelogue... better than most travel shows I've watched. :)

Peach/Carol - Happy birthday!

Lenora - Happy anniversary!

Dorrie - I'm so sorry about your stepbrother. I'm also sorry your guy turned out to be a weirdo. I too got some odd signals from some of the things you reported, but you were dealing with so much, I didn't want to say anything. For future reference, it's possible that anyone who wants to be around while you're going through a colonoscopy prep is about a half bubble off plumb. (When you can laugh about it, you'll be over it...)

Tere - stay strong on the smoking, dear heart. It's so hard. August 17 is two months quit for me, and feels amazing. My biggest hurdle is the 90-day mark, but I think I'll be fine. Smoking seldom crosses my mind these days.

Kelly - I always reach for the fresh bread for comfort/solace, so I sympathize on the carb binge. Having had all the inner wobbly bits removed, I don't find myself doing any kind of monthly mood swing--but if I lose a lot of weight quickly, can still get that PMS feeling. Fat cells store estrogen, and when they shrink, they shed it all at once. Horrible feeling.

August 17, Thursday, would also have been my mother's 81st birthday. She's been gone now for 18 years. So much changed after she left--and there are still times when I reach for the phone even now to call her and tell her about what's happening.

The weight is no longer going up, but not showing downward progress. I'm finally caving to the recognition (for the umpteenth time) that there are things I should not have in the house, including fresh bread and real butter. As they run out, I'm no longer buying them, and told Corey what I was doing. He agreed readily, as he's feeling a little chunky right now himself. One thing at a time, just cleaning up my environment.

On the good news side, I am sleeping again, averaging about six and a half hours a night, which for an insomniac is just miraculous. I've had years go by where I never got more than four or five hours of sleep at most. Feeling rested is such a pleasure. And, according to most experts, there's a correlation between lack of sleep and gaining weight. Would be nice if it were that easy.

Am interested in seeing what I'll hear when I go to the doc on the 31st. I'll be going to get my accouterments squozen on the 17th, as well (a mammogram, for the non-East-Texans), and will get the results of that and my thyroid tests when I go in at the end of the month. Will also have to talk to her about the Contrave being a no-go for me, and see if there's an alternative.

Rori - your example convinced me to get my husband to go in and get seen by the doctor, as well. And, because I liked her so much, he's going to see my doc. Hopefully Corey will tell her about his hearing issues, which I've been aware of since I met him, but which have definitely progressed in the last nine years.

Looking forward to Thursday, which will be a busy day--United Way Odessa campaign kickoff at 9 a.m., meeting with a funder over lunch, mammogram at 3 p.m., and United Way Midland campaign kickoff at 4:30 p.m. All of this is with my boss (well, except the mammogram. :)) She and I had a really good conversation this weekend at the party. Kind of funny--she's at least six feet tall, and with the noise from the band, was literally standing beside me bending over to get near my ear so I could hear her. I was tempted to climb on the nearest chair. :smiley: Good feedback, though--and only the third time I've actually been able to talk to her face-to-face (so to speak) since I started May 1.

Love y'all!
    Happy Tuesday... :wink:
    Lisa in West Texas
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Hi all! <3. I really appreciate your kind comments. I am scared of boring you and I am more than aware that not everyone wants to hear what a wonderful time I am having! :s:|
    It's fun for me and I hope some of you find it fun too.
    Just been for my mile around the deck so I'm up to 400 calories so far today. One more class today.
    At the line dancing, one of the dances is to a song I didn't know before. - Human, by the Killers. I managed to buy and download it. The line goes - "Are we human or are we dancers?"
    Nice one. :D
    Off now for tea. :o
    Love Heather UK XXXXXX
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    I am finally getting the pills down the Pom. Put 1/2 in a hot dog bite and the other 1/2 in a bit of pimento cheese spread. In the evening, I can mix the crushed pill into his chicken and rice mix.

Dorrie ~ I am glad you learned so quickly about that dude. When I read that he was so interested in helping you with the colonoscopy prep, I couldn't imagine. Sorry to hear about you brother's passing.

Lisa and Terre ~ Congrats and continued success on quitting smoking. :) I tried smoking when I was young but it never appealed to me. Hated the taste it left in your mouth. Now, alcohol was a different story. :#

Kelly ~ I really admire your ability to rehang doors and fix drooping towel bars. Sorry your hip is hurting.

Am going to the ortho doc this AM to see about getting medication to take when I have jury duty. I don't think he will sign to get me out of it, but, maybe a handicapped thingy to get parking closer by the court house.

Carol in GA

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    lisa I think you are doing great! Keep it up!

Back to reality, work calls to deal with and am going in to arrange classroom materials.

Eating low residue diet today, all liquid tomorrow and colonoscopy
    Thursday. Woohoo I know how to have fun huh??

NYKAREN
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    Morning peeps
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi, hi! Today is a new day! I managed to get to aqua Zumba yesterday but didn’t do too well on food. I overslept and they fed us breakfast and lunch for our first day back. Normally I don’t eat the food they provide, but I didn’t have time to make my lunch.

Today’s was health screening day. My BP was excellent, but the weight was up from last year. Hopefully my lipid panel will be better than last year because now I’m on a statin. Tonight is s-anon night, so no exercise after work, but I’ll get some walking in here at work.

Wendy: glad you are over the shingles. Those are AWFUL! Congrats on the new baby! Do you know if it is a boy or a girl? How many others do you have?

Lanette: it will be steamy here for another month or so. I thought I hated the humidity until I went to Colorado a couple of years ago, up in the mountains. It was so dry I thought my bones would crack in half! I was so happy to get back to NE and soak all that up! Sounds totally dumb, doesn’t it?

Carol: happy belated birthday!

Barbie: that’s excellent! I hope it turns out just as you wanted it!

Becca: where are all those gorgeous roses?

Dorrie: I am so sorry for both of your losses. My mouth literally dropped open reading what your ex-man friend said. Good riddance for you! And (((hugs))) from me.

Lenora: I am going to steal your phrase “narcissistic toad” and use it! I know someone who fits that perfectly! Happy anniversary!

Sue: always nice seeing you!

Dana: love your photos. I am still thinking about Roscoe! I need to wait and see where DH will end up before deciding on him.

Allie: proud of you! I agree about garnishing the wages, but you may have to wait to see if he misses any payments first.

Katla: OMG I nearly died laughing about your pot roast! That is hilarious. I wish I had done that once in a while; my mother was so difficult!

Chris: I think we all have had a Mr.-not-so-wonderful-after-all, haven’t we???

Michele: I have one cat that has to be on top of me no matter where I am or what I am doing, including his newest antic, hanging off my shoulder! The other one pops up for a couple of pats, and then disappears!

DJ: How close are you to the islands that lost power and were evacuated? I would love to see them one day!

Heather: I see you are off on another of your fabulous journeys! Enjoy!

Tere: oh a facial! I haven’t had one in years….*looking up phone numbers!

KJ: I think our bodies always mark that time…at least mine still does. I am hoping like you that it stops eventually!

Barbie: love your dog stories!

Lisa: “accouterments squozen”…another great phrase I am stealing! Thanks for making me smile!

Carol: I have been gone too long to know why the pup needs pills, but you can try cottage cheese. Or put them in unflavored gel caps if it’s the taste you think is bothering him. Believe me, after Benny Beagle, I have all kinds of “drug the dog” tricks!

Well time to get some work done! Make it the day you want it to be. Meg from still-steamy Omaha

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Meg
    - I understand about the "steamy". I actually miss the Indiana winters I grew up with sometimes, especially when we have months of overcast and rain out here. But people don't know how to drive on snow and ice (or even wet roads for that matter.) Enjoy the rest of your steamy summer! :)

Heather - I look forward to your travel photos and description of your activities each day. My vicarious vacation! B)

Lisa - so glad the event was successful! How could it not be under your planning? <3

Dorrie - in thinking over your recent experience, I am reminded of something that happened to a friend of mine. She and her DH were small business owners, and he came down with a chronic debilitating disease so their final years together were not good as she struggled to keep the business going and be his caretaker. When he finally passed, she sold the business (she was in her 70's then). She met and was swept off her feet by a gentleman, they enjoyed each other's company and decided to get married. Shortly after that, he told her he was also in the early stages of a debilitating disease but now that they were married she could be HIS caretaker. >:) She couldn't get the divorce quickly enough. Other than hire a private detective, I don't know how a person finds out things that aren't public record unless you're from a small community where everyone knows (or think they know) everyone else's business, lol. I'm sure meeting the family and friends and taking time in the relationship, these things would come out.

It was a fabulous 45 degrees out when I took my walk this morning. Need to dig out my mittens! Gravenstein apples are dropping from the tree.... if it's not drought stress and they are truly ripe, I'll be making applesauce this week. I add very little if any sugar when I cook the apples - use the crockpot, leave skins on and buzz everything with the immersible blender. Sometimes I have three crockpots going at the same time. Saves stirring and scorching.

We have twin fawns that visit our front lawn each morning. Our doggies are interested in watching them but aren't motivated to go under the fence and chase them, thank goodness.

Time to get busy! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :)Heather, I listened to that song "Human" that you liked. I liked it so much that I purchased it from Amazon so I can listen to it and maybe choreograph a line dance for my class.

:)Meg, I am so glad to hear that you are continuing to go to s-anon. The Twelve Step programs have so much to offer.

:):) The concrete guy will be here soon to get started. I'm going to go outside and work on one of my garden puttering projects while it's still cool.

<3 Barbie
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Well Meg, I have to be honest with you. I have no idea! I see pictures on Facebook and I click & save them. These are from sites where they have taken them from some other site. So I can't authenticate it if I wished to! I have nothing on this Fire tablet but pretty pictures, (oh and a couple of family pics too ha!).

Still only the one letter from younger son in boot camp... I so do wish that the next letter be more positive! My thoughts are starting to invade my dreams!

Found two painted rocks yesterday when husband and I went for our walk. Checked out three great (I am hoping), library books. Our library is doing wonderful since it moved from Hammond and into Warrenton. The building in Hammond, was the building the town hall in the 1920's used to be. So the whole place leaned, the floor bounced, and when the inspectors noticed the entry walk separating from the building, they stated a move had to be made. Interestingly enough the city of War rent on this owned one of the restaurants on Main st. It used to be a bank, and still had the big safe door. Well the city claimed it back, ( the restaurant owner was not happy), so that is our new library. In anger though, the restaurant owner had taken everything she could unscrew, so there are parts of the library that could use more lighting. Small town drama politics, gotta love it!

n2nileh0te3u.jpg
    7ly6uh30oyep.jpg

Hugs!
    Becca

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Had to wolf down lunch and back to work...will see how things go..