WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,185 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    The kitchen at work had a particularly nauseating fishy smell today ... more than just your normal fish dish that someone might heat up in the microwave.

Walked over to the sink ... and saw a tentacle lying there.

IMO, if you're eating something with tentacles ... you should not be allowed to prepare it in the kitchen at work.

On the other hand, my appetite suddenly disappeared, so maybe that's a new diet technique!

The diet in Australia is an interesting mix of UK and a wide variety of Asian choices because of the large Asian population here. And I know that octopus and similar things are not uncommon dishes.

But yes ... it did kind of take me by surprise! And the smell was horrendous. I can handle tuna sandwiches and burnt popcorn, but this was so bad I actually questioned how you'd know if the octopus had gone off. :lol:

[
    Tentacles Machka's story reminded me of a cute story about my son - when he was 3 he was sitting at breakfast with his dad and me and had a thoughtful/puzzled look on his face...we waited to see what it was he was thinking about and finally he asked, "Mommy, what is that sea creature with the long stinging testicles?" (Portuguese Man O' War). I was tempted to answer "Your father, son" but resisted the urge LOL!

:lol::mrgreen:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,719 Member
    Options
    M
  • Machka9
    Options
    Back at the main square they were setting up for a big three day festival. A huge stage! A rock band was rehearsing. Oh my! The noise was shaking the shuttle bus and we were glad to get away!!! :o:o:o

Germany in August.

My husband and I cycled the Rhine Route from Ijmuiden to Sankt Goar in August 2012 ... and while it was interesting, I don't have any desire to do that again. Not in August anyway. That seems to be the party month there. It was difficult to find accommodation ... campgrounds and things were packed full ... and every town seemed to have festivals on. I love fireworks, but fireworks every single night combined with music so loud you could hear it clearly several km away from the festival, and crowds of drunk people just did not appeal at all!

I have another friend who cycled the same route in April and had a great time. Apparently things were much quieter and nicer then.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    NYKaren - I can't wait until this whole wedding/shower stuff is over. Can't come too soon for me. Just what Denise needed -- added stress. You would have thought Amanda and Maria would have been more flexible -- but that's not to be. Congrats on the colonoscopy being over!

Went in the pool, then went to CVS, then I went to WalMart while Vince went to Lowes Hardware and filled my tank up with gas. Then to Krispy Kreme. I had a coupon for 3 dozen, I'll give one to Jess, one to Denise, and one for Vince. Hopefully, he'll have most of them eaten by the time I get back. Or if he has to leave any, hopefully he'll leave the plain glazed.

Oh no, Sept, that means I'll need to start stringing the popcorn. Probably after this shower

Lanette - Jess said she sent out 29 invites and Maria added two more. Usually, people don't come so I'm hopeful that 28 favors are enough. And if not, oh well.....

pip - I hate when someone says they'll do something and then don't. I feel your anger. BTDT. Glad you found a new gym. The Y will miss you, I'm sure

Allie - I hate to say it, but don't count on Tom being willing to let you see the dogs. He'll probably use that against you.

The next total eclipse anywhere in the world will be across southern South America on July 2, 2019

Karen in VA - last time I had a colonoscopy, they weighed me right before the procedure. I'd only lost 2lbs. It wasn't worth it for 2 lousy pounds

Denise called earlier (around 6). Asked me for pics of her from when she was little. Seems Maria wants to make a collage. She just decided NOW to do it for the shower? Heck, I decided to give her that placq and started on it in May. I told Denise that I probably couldn't tonight, next week I'll be busy with getting ready for the party, but the week after that I can probably do it and mail the pics to her. She wondered if they would get there in time for the shower. I told her that I wouldn't think it would take that long to make. What is Maria thinking, to want to do this at such a late date? I need to find the pics (which I know takes hours since that's how long it took for me to find the handkerchief for Denise's "something old"), take a pic of the pic, print it out and then send it to her. Well, we shall see next week. I reminded her that if she wants me to decorate her favor bags, she needs to get them to me asap so that I have time to do them, as I have no idea how long it'll take me to do. Plus...Denise is getting more and more dependent on Pete. She decided to go to this place for the bridesmaids dresses. I told her I would bring Jess' back with me on Sun. I asked her today if she had it, she said that she and Pete will go Sat. to get it. The place is in a part of Philly that she doesn't like to drive in. So why did she get them there? Because Amanda used to work there and I bet Maria talked her into it. The dresses there were gross as far as I was concerned and on the expensive side.

Michele in NC
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 11.44min, 139mhr, 14.9mph. 2.9mi = 138c
    apple watch- 110c
    ROWING MACHINE- 21min, 50aw, 135mhr, 3317meters-2.06mi. = 123c
    apple watch- 162c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 6.43min, 134mhr, 12.7amph, 1.4mi = 68c
    apple watch- 53c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station- 15.05min, 143hr, 12amph, 3mi = 122c
    apple watch- 113c
    jog sta 2 wk- 4.51min, 135ahr, 151mhr, 9.30min mi, .5mi = 69c
    apple watch- 59c
    jog wk 2 sta- 4.51min 144mhr, 9.30min mi, .4mi = 49c
    apple watch- 48c
    bike dome 2 hm- 18.05min, 8.6amph, 158mhr, 2.6mi = 179c
    apple watch- 143c

total cal 748
  • pipcd34
    Options
    got home and Kirby (had the day off) said the airstream dealer called and said the new awning is on and it looks fabulous. now those curtains better fit. unfortunately they didn't give him a pic.
  • DanaReel180
    DanaReel180 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Just got home from the fish fry. Omg! Ate too much. I guess I'll eat with a deficit for the next few days. But the homemade southern Pecan pie was the best. The catfish was really good!

Have a good evening!
    Dans in Arkansas
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :) Lunch today with line dance friends--there were 14 of us. I had my usual broccoli with garlic sauce and brown rice. I brought the hot and sour soup home for Jake and brought half my lunch to eat for supper. This afternoon was the final practice before the line dance performance at the county fair on Saturday. We are ready.

<3 Barbie
  • Siouxrx
    Siouxrx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the lovely welcome!

Gloria, I use the overnight oats recipes from 'Organize Yourself Skinny' website. They're quite good and I use the Chocolate Banana one a lot, being the chocoholic that I am!

Sue (AZ)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    DJ – I had 2 very close former HS classmates of mine commit ‘suicide’ … it is so hard because so unexpected. The last one was a ‘total shot’ to the entire town/county. You never do know what goes on in someone’s head unless they tell you. They did not even ‘share’ their feelings to their families.

Michele – If Denise has made her life ‘revolve’ around him and his family; then, if things go ‘south’ afterwards, she is going to be devastated. His family should not be her only ‘outlet’. Oh, I know about the ‘taking sides’ … DOS and DDnL#1 have had more than their share of “Drama”; but, you say something the ‘least bit’ off about her, he jumps in and defends her. He can be ‘bitching 90-to-nothing’ to Louis and if Louis ‘responds’ … he backs up and punts. I told him a few months back that I did NOT want to listen to it. She had ‘dinged’ him once before we got to the dirt road, twice more before he got to the paved road, a mile away. Hopefully, now that she has a ‘new’ job making more than she was making at the one she quit and went without a paycheck for 8 weeks. That pushed them over the ‘brink’ and they filed for bankruptcy, something my son did NOT want to have to do … but, her car payment was more than their house payment (or real close). They are allowing that to go back. She is not at all happy with the car that a family member has loaned/given to them. I say loaned/given … because if you ‘loan’ them something, it suddenly becomes theirs. I go to use my vacuum cleaner and it is ‘gone’. To me, when you borrow something, you come get it, use it, clean it, and bring it back … like immediately when you finish with it. Don’t come down and get around to it … someday. My vacuum cleaner was ‘expensive’ and after they use it I have to take it apart and clean it out.

Boy, I feel sorry for all involved. A friend is going through that with her son and his ‘ex’. For her, it is okay that she is stuck up her own Mother’s butt; but, her son has to take her to court to get her to go along with the normal – every other weekend and 1 day during the week visitation’. OMG, if he intends on taking the child ‘out of the city limits’ … he gets served with papers to appear in court. Her mother has the ‘attorney’ she used in her back pocket. Then, of course, he ends up backing down (because his parents just drive the 2 ½ hours to Columbus to visit). My friends are beginning to show the wear. I would not want to make my friend, or her husband, mad … they would be a force all their own. They are beginning to get to the point of saying, ‘bring it on’!!!!

Apparently, Denise is getting ‘something’ out of this one-sided relationship with her soon-to-be-outlaws (I mean ‘in-laws’). Maybe they will pay for things. Let ‘em. Just make sure she knows you will be there for her … just not to bail her out, like the insurance situations. We had to pull the rug out from under our oldest son’s feet, too … or they would have pulled us down with themselves. Best thing we ever did … to make them understand we were not ‘human ATMs’. I think I pulled back a lot sooner than Louis did. But, when he did … he did with both feet. Never looked back either. We’ve always had a close relationship with both boys; but, DDnL#1 got jealous when DYS married (of his wife, for no good reason). She tried to be ‘divisive’ and I just won’t allow it. She gets her fanny up on her shoulders, ‘fine’. I don’t have to listen to it and won’t. My boys will be my boys until the day I die; but, they have both married and that is now ‘their lives’. I guess it is easier not to ‘know’ what is going on when one lives 4 states over and is, by nature, a ‘very private person’. He does not have a FB account, does not want one, doesn’t want his ‘life’ on FB. Tami had deactivaited hers; until this school year, when the school her daughter announced that notifications would get sent out on FB and no other way. She finally had to put a sign up at work, that she did not take ‘appointments’ over FB and not to call her on weekends. She would no longer work on Saturdays other than to do ‘weddings’ (on Saturdays or Sundays) … she can make a ‘lot of money’ doing wedding parties or helping a co-worker.

Sounds like ‘whether they hurt Jess’ feelings or not never has entered their mind’. Sending out a ‘change of venue’ would be best … or you might have ½ the people just not show up or be confused about a 2nd invitation on the same day. ?????

Marcelyn – There is a man in Albany, who has mapped out the ‘caves’ at Radium Springs. He is a ‘rescue’ diver as well. We represented a dive shop because they told 2 men from out of town to NOT go in the cave (it had a grate across it). They took it off and only one made it out. This same man went it to bring the body out. He said that he would NEVER go diving in the ocean, ‘because there are things out there that would eat you’. We found this funny. The cave system for Radium Springs is extensive and he and a friend are the ones who have mapped it out (as far as they’ve been able to go with 4 tanks of air as reserve.

Joyce – A friend of mine, who works for an eye doctor says she would not trust any of the ‘so-called’ eclipse glasses. She will just see it – on TV … I can remember in 7th grade we had a ‘partial eclipse’ and we watched it by putting a hole in a piece of cardboard, and held a sheet of copy paper. We turned our backs to the sun with the piece of cardboard held over our shoulder and adjusted the paper so that the light through the circle was clear; and, when the moon went in front of it, there was a ‘crescent’ on the paper. I thought that was pretty cool, so that is how I plan on watching it.

Our house belongs to the humans and ‘dog’, the cat has to stay outside. Right now something is making his allergies kick in … he will open his mouth to “MEOW” and nothing comes out. Been laying out by the door … something must be making him feel bad. When we let Cracker out, something had to have walked by close enough to set off the motion sensors lights, she was at the door and it doesn’t usually stay on that long.

Anybody with houseplants – How do you get rid of ‘mealybugs’; or if you have a plant with them, can you even get rid of them? I have used 2 bottles of spray on one particular plant and still have them. It has been removed from the house. Do I need to repot it? Not looking forward to having to do that … not really a ‘cactus’, not really a ‘succulent’. Took my big Jade out to treat it, even though it doesn’t have them. Just, in case.

Carol – Sweet pix of your grandson and dog. Boy, the dog sure has ‘big paws’!!! I would not want to have to ‘clip his nails’.

KJ – That’s interesting. Not sure that I ever ‘thought’ about that. It would be important to know for months on end out in space.

Allie – At least you asked, going to talk to a CPA will be a ‘wise’ idea … or to a ‘financial advisor’ to invest your ‘share’ of assets received in the divorce. Depending on how much you get and how you invest them, it is possible that you could reinvest any of the interest until you need to start taking it as payments. We did that when we inherited money from parents. It builds up quickly for when you do need it.

Lanette – I wonder who she had to get to ‘tease’, ‘back-comb’, ‘rat’ her hair; for it to be ‘that high off her head’ it had to be long! I remember my oldest sister ‘ratting’ her hair to put it up in a French Twist.

Dorrie – In most states a ‘divorce’ or a ‘remarriage’ will ‘void and null’ a Will, leaving that person to die intestate … (no Will) and whatever will be divided among his living relatives. So that is ‘good’ that he did name his daughter for those very important documents. People think that ‘not’ having a Will is no big deal; but, if you have minor children … you need to have one. If you have things that you want to make sure ‘go to specific people’ it is important that you, at least have something written down, witnessed and notarized. Most married people have basic “I Love You” mirrored will, which leaves their estate to their surviving spouse, if not living, then to their children. Step-children and how things are divided can get touchy. It is worth an hour with an attorney to get this done. Otherwise, it could be far more costly to your family as they will have to advertise everything they want or need to sell for 4 weeks and then have to run it through the Probate Court system. Need to make sure that your children are placed with those that you want to raise them. Best thing would be someone near your own ages (if you are a “Mom and Dad” … then you want to make sure that any life insurance policy proceeds go to YOUR children and not to someone else to spend as they please. Quite often if a minor child inherits money, the Probate Judge will appoint a Guardian ad Litem to protect their interests so that the person has to prove where, why, and when they spend money for that child/children. But, if you name someone specific … they have the control without having to report to the Probate Judge. Those things are examples of what you need to talk to an attorney about. Makes it clear. Living Wills, POA, Durable POA, and Advanced Directives … different names for the same thing. But, the hospitals want you to have them in the event you need to be taken off life support systems.
    Prayers for a good night sleep and that that ‘numbness’ from the news you’ve gotten will let up. My DBnL (still reads the obits from this area, he grew up here). He called me once and said he saw that there were 6 people ‘in Bronwood’ that had died during the week. Asked me, ‘if I knew any of them’. I told him that I didn’t; but, what most people do not know is that we have a nice little A.L.F/nursing home in town. He laughed and said, well, you know they usually come in 3’s; I was just thinking that y’all were having an ‘epidemic’. LOL!
    {{{{{HUHS}}}}}

MEOW!!!! I just thought of something … a Barbie cake with ‘deep yellow’ food coloring between her legs. Whoops, when it gets cut open, “Oh $#*T, she ‘peed’ in the cake!” Or a few of those chocolate Peez candies … “OH $#*T!” I’m being so ‘ugly’. Damn, I sure don’t want to be standing around when Karma comes to visit.
    Talk about this ‘eclipse’ … will damage your cellphone camera. So what is going to be different from looking at it directly or seeing the news reporting on it (unless they have some sort of strong filter on their cameras to prevent that sharp, bright light … they just showed on example on the news … I had to look away from it. Like having someone flash that light in your eyes when you go to the eye doctor (or some other MDs). I see rings of lights around it – like driving at night in the rain, I don’t do that. Louis won’t even allow me to drive on the Interstate. I can understand. I would not let me either. But, on Hwy 82/520 – between Dawson and Albany, it is one of the most ‘ticketed for speeding’ roads in the State. Actually from Albany, through Dawson, to Columbus (because it is on the Ft. Benning Military reservation.

I think I just broke my little toe. Hurts; but, I might have jammed it, went numb when I pulled on it. But, already bruised a couple of inches up side with a big red bump. Hurts to move it now. Guess I will know it when I wake up tomorrow and it is swollen even more than it is right now.

These the invites made by Jess … or the ‘new’ ones?

Cute bug … rolly polly? We used to dig for them in the dirt floor of my childhood BFs (twins). When we were little they would let us play in a picket-fenced yard. Seemed so tall. Years later went over and it was maybe 2 ½ feet tall, at the most. Rosa could pick us up and over it.

Lanette – When my BF’s husband was sick and dying … his children would show up at the hospital and call their Mother who would also come to the hospital ‘if’ she was not there. The day they took him off ‘life support’ she was at home, and the MD came in and talked to the daughters and the ‘ex’ … all along thinking the ‘ex’ was the wife. When he told them they needed to make a decision, she finally said, ‘oh, I’m NOT his wife’. By the time my friend got to the hospital, she was ready to ‘kill’ her … she’d just show up at the house when she thought that she wasn’t there. The lady she hired to sit with her would call her every time she came.

Then after he died, one of the insurance policies he had taken out when they were minors to fund child support should he die, had never been changed. It was a ‘big’ one, too. He had changed all the others. When he died, she locked herself in her bedroom because they were making plans for his funeral. Her sister called me and I went over. Her sister comes running over and said that she was worried about her because the door was locked and she would not answer them. For a while she was telling to ‘go away’. I knocked on the door, told her ‘it was me’ and she came and unlocked the door … when she told me what was going on, I went out and told Carolyn to get them ‘inside’ because I had something I wanted to say. They came in and I told them that Teresa was his wife and SHE would be making all the freaking funeral arrangements. His Mother had been living with them. She had changed her Will for her estate to be divided between Teresa and her other son. The grandchildren were all ‘up her @$$’ until they found out she had changed her Will. Then, they stopped coming over. After she died, shortly thereafter, they wanted to come into her house and get some of the things they thought were ‘family pieces’. She told them ‘they family pieces were hers now, they would just have to take her to court over it. They haven’t spoken to her since.

It’s sad when a ‘death’ breaks a family apart; but, my Daddy used to say, ‘nothing brings out the worse in people than a good old family funeral when there is $$$ involved’. I used to witness Wills that he make for older people who had several children; but, only one or two who had anything to do with their parents, mainly to keep them from taking their homes away from them. We had an older black family living on some land my Daddy owned and he deeded the house and 2 acres to them and had it recorded. It reverted back to him upon their death, because they had no children; but, it still kept anybody from taking it away if he sold the other part of the land. It was some of the prettiest piece of property he owned. If we had stayed in Macon, we probably would have built out there. A big creek with boulders in it that it ran over. He later sold it and it has been broken up into about 5 tracts with 20 or more acres each.

Pip – I feel your pain. This is how I am feeling about ‘Windows World’ … they do NOT want to piss me off more than I am already. It’s been 4 or 5 weeks since they came out, brought the wood for Louis to paint 1 side of half of it, and 3 sides on the other half. Sent pictures and the measurements to reorder the panes. I called today to find out when they planned on coming back. The girl said ‘well, Jamey is supposed to be in today and he will ‘order’ the glass … “WHAT do you mean, he WILL order the glass? It wasn’t done back when they came out here and the guy broke one pane trying to get them out and the decision was made to reorder all the glass panes to have in the event they break any more trying to get them out! I WAS HOT! So, it won’t be done until AFTER Labor Day. THAT damn porch IS going to be finished before the end of this year, including A/C-Heat, flooring, I am going to enjoy it, if it means I open the door to our MBR every damn day! I already open it if it is cool out (until Louis comes home, and fusses about me doing so … am I trying to ‘cool the entire yard’? SURE, if you aren’t going to finish the room, then I am going to use it anyway. GGRRrrrrr!!!!! The windows are guaranteed for life, so the installation needed to be done ‘properly’ for them to be ‘guaranteed’. When we signed the contract, he said that he ‘personally’ would be out here to supervise the installation. Instead he sends 3 men out here and they picked up ‘raw’ pine to cut to make the stops. Needless to say they all warped. Were butt-jointed and totally unacceptable. The guy (and his wife) who are going to be putting them in will miter-cut the corners. That way, even ‘if’ they warp, which they shouldn’t … there will be something holding them in. They want to make sure that I am a ‘satisfied’ customer; if not, a form letter will be sent to every single BBB in the southern half of the state … I will ‘gladly’ pay the postage.

Marcelyhn – WOW!!!! A submarine! How neat! We’ve kept our equipment; but, it is so old that it took ‘tanks’ on the back for air supply. They used little packs now … we can use the snorkels, masks, and fins to snorkel. I doubt that we’ll ever go diving again. It is an ‘expensive’ hobby; but, got our equipment ‘free’.
    When Louis was in the service, he was on a ‘submarine finder’. On one trip they saw a volcano erupt. It was cool, thankfully, he had his camera with him.

Allie – IMHO – You’d be better off ‘selling everything a splitting’ … otherwise too easy to say, ‘well this is worth this, that is worth that’ and it not be. Selling it, you’ll be able to shop around and make sure of the ‘comparables’ in the process of setting a list price. Why should TomCat get to keep everything and offer you ½ of what HE THINKS it is worth (which would be a lowball figure, you know that … his is tight as a tick bite.

I’m sorry; but, I would have to agree with Mary, get him ‘ordered’ out of the house until the divorce becomes final. He can just continue making the payments on the house until it is sold. He is the one who wanted to ‘screw around’ … so ‘tighten them for him’. Surely, TomCat is 'not' stupid enjoy to let an asset be foreclosed on him after paying 20+ years on it. That would be 'idiotic'.

If you leave your dogs, you can probably ‘kiss them goodbye’. Visitation rights. Follow your attorney’s advice … we’re just throwing bombs ‘of thoughts’ your way. Not trying to confuse the situation.

Getting a divorce will probably give both of your ‘credit scores’ a bit of a ‘hiccup’; it won’t last long, when you prove that the house or other property is up on the market. IF you are ‘being broke’ for paying Tom what Tom has said is ‘your share’ (which would not be 50/50 due to the disparity of your income’ … I’d go along with what she said. That can be ‘corrected’ … it will take a little while; but, it can be corrected.

TomCat will attempt all he can to be ‘charming’ and get you back ‘under his thumb’ … don’t fall for that. You might even consider looking around for a ‘new’ place (unless, you have already signed a contract). One that might be ‘pet friendly’, with a ‘garage’.

Talked to a friend yesterday at the grocery store, so obvious she had been crying. One of her aunt had just buried her husband last week, and found out yesterday that he 21-year-old son had been killed in an automobile collision in Atlanta.

Michele – again – Gee, you’d have to go through the pictures to make sure you were not sending one that you have only one copy to, … what, doesn’t your time have any meaning? I loaned Tami Louis’ baby bracelet that I made into a necklace and told her she’d have ‘something old, something borrowed, and something blue – all she’d have to do is come up with something new. She had it wrapped around her bouquet. She gave it back to me before the reception.

The wedding will be over soon (sooner than you think) and then ‘it will be Pete and Maria’s problem (or choice).

Whatever. I hate that it has come to this.

Lenora
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Hellos ladies, hope you all having a decent day, didn't say good or bad day, just decent.

Dorrie, you have had a terrible month. But this soon shall pass. Just keep us in your pocket as long as you want.

Allie, do you really want to try to share custody of the dogs with Tom and go over and see them while he is gone? Maybe you can send some time on weekend volunteering at a local recuse. They need loving caring people to help. You fit the bill perfectly.

I don't know how I did it but I took my evening pills at lunch time. I remember sitting in my chair trying to play the one face book game I play and I was doing pretty lousy at it, couldn't concentrate. I wrote to you girls, please excuse if I said something weird. I know in the chat that our Facebook game has, some one asked Michelle to interpret what I said. So I was kind of forced to take an afternoon nap. I had almost a 4 hour nap and still was t refreshed. Bad thing is, I hav to repeat some of those medicines tonight. So I am really dopey and drowsy right now. I am to sleepy to proofread.

We went out to eat supper with our best friends. She has a sister that was in a terrible car wreck in affordable on Christmas Eve one year and I am sure if it were not for the persistence of adixie her sister, she wouldn't be alive. Dixie isn't very trusting of medical people and when Mary had a doctors appointment or even an MRI, she drives from southern Indiana to Florida to take her. She and a serious brain injury. She now has a male housemate that takes care of some of her things. So Mary was with is tonight along with the housemate. He grew up in Minnesota where my Dad did and we went there every year so we had something to talk about. Chalrie and Dixie were talking their usual politics. They are on other sides so they can debate and neither will back down. Chalrie has a hard time accepting at ey cans till be friends but i just tell him that just because one is republican and the other democrat does not mean they can't be friends. I have many friends who are democrat but we have so many other things in common, we choose to talk about those things and politics is never brought up. We had a man die recent,y in our neighborhood. Charlie liked him a lot and they had good conversations. After his death, I told char,i.e. That the man was a democrat. He said he never knew.

I don't know if o told you that when Ellie went back to school this year she was in 5th grade and had the strictest teacher. Ellie was pretty nervous about it. Her other teachers have always understood the uniqueness of Ellie. She will be done with her seisgnmonets early but she doesn't want to disrup the rest of the class so she gets something to do, a journal, a book, her notebook to draw in or something. So she wrote a letter to her teacher acknowledging all these feelings toward her new teacher and saying what has worked before. She said she doesn't want to be disruptive at all but can get very fidgety but has methods of avoiding that if the teacher will allow. They teacher said she really appreciated the note and will make sure Ellie has extra work or has something to do when she is done. Trinity loves all her classes.

My eyes are failing, good night Joyce, Indiana
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Did not make the Korean BBQ tonight but will be doing so tomorrow. I had rotisserie chicken that I needed to use so I made chicken and dumplings for the boys and I had some chicken slices with the broccoli left from last night.

Doctor thinks that the problem with Rj's ankles is the tendon that runs along the outside of your foot to under the heel (it starts with a P that's all I can remember). They're sending him to PT and put him in ankle braces. He is also flat footed so probably contributing to the problem. He does have orthotics but probably time for new ones. this is my 12yr old who is now 5' 10" tall. Both boys are very tall as their dad is 6'6" and his dad was 6'4". RJ already wears a size 13 shoe! football-collision-smiley-emoticon.gif

Thanks to RE who's PT had her do the elliptical backwards to strengthen her knee I was able to start using mine again last night. Total difference in force on the knee between forward and backward.

Got to run to the store for carrots. I have the start of chicken soup in the crockpot and had to throw out the carrots.

Have a good night, morning, afternoon etc. I for one will not be heading to Oregon for the eclipse much to Rj's disappointment. He doesn't understand why I would be concerned about the 1million people they are predicting to be going. Ah youth and their naivete.

Gloria in WA

• Machka9
    Options
    I'm not sure that we will actually be able to see the eclipse down here. For one thing, it will probably be cloudy ... but I think our angle and time of day is wrong for it.
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all. I have been reading your news and we really have lots going on. Michelle is on my mind-no clue as to what will evolve but just be there when you can and also go home when you need to. Dorrie-I think August is being a poopy month. With my husband's death, well, I try not to reflect on it but goodness, what was I thinking not to monitor his finances more? So many lessons from my parents and I let it all happen again. This is what gets me up in the night to worry over money and how to juggle it all. I am sorry I can not recall who is dealing with suicide right now-just know it happens and there is really not fault. On the home front here, I have told myself to just sit tight, go one day at a time, take care of the boy, and I will do something in October (when I am 60). I walk through this old house in the dark and wonder What do the dogs think? One of them is somewhere near me and snoring. More weed-eating to do when it is daylight. Everything needs to be filled up--if the machine runs out of gas, I quit for the day. I dropped an open can of grape juice concentrate out of the refrig last night. Cleaning that up more gets added to the list. And why can I not have my stupid prescription for thyroid pills? The procedure for getting opioids is easy compared to this. I suppose I will just wait for the mail order 90 day supply to arrive-surely it will be here in about 2 weeks. I have no clue how needful it truly is--my thyroid was removed about 10 years ago and I am obviously still kicking. Oh wait-I have to drive to the base pharmacy today-maybe they have a prescription on file for me. I will re-shuffle the schedule for today to fit that in. It takes up to 3 hours for that and the pool there opens at 11 so we swim while we wait for those meds. There's time to read paper there so if I weed-eat early for an hour (a tank of gas worth), shower, roust kid out of bed, and we drive/go to pharmacy/swim/eat at Subway/pick-up meds the day still has time for cleaning under refrig and possibly mowing field on riding mower. I am off to take control of this day.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning, had a restorative nap and then slept a full 7 hours! Wow does that feel good. I am back on maintenance after too much pastry in Montreal :# !

Today my baby turns 19, and we will celebrate at her favorite Thai place in town, then she is off to spend the weekend with college friends- DH and I will head north to a weekend BBQ festival upstate, but I plan on doing some house hunting just for fun. I really don't want to entertain myself with food (I learned this wisdom from Barbie) and it sticks with me.

Strategy is stronger than will power. Also excited for my mini instant pot that will
    Arrive this Saturday, yippee, I'm joining the IP craze. Let the recipe swapping commence.

NYKAREN
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday to All! Prayers and Good Thoughts for Everyone!

Got out of bed at 3 AM after tossing and turning for about an hour. Discovered that most of me is sore from doing the PT exercises I was given to do plus some others on my own. Have another session this afternoon so hope I will loosen up by then.

NY Karen ~ Happy birthday to your daughter! Enjoy your IP when it comes. I use my pressure cooker a lot but have not tried any of the settings other than High. Really need to learn how to use it as a slow cooker.

Carol in GA