WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of deep water today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Chris Powerll Level 2&3 DVD (weights).

Lenora - do you know that I don't even know how Denise and Pete met? When I go up there this weekend for her dress fitting, I should really ask her. I do think she's gotten more dependent on him than he is on her. She's made her whole world around him and his family. Even Angela has said that she's really Denise's only friend. Oh, she has "friends" at work, but not someone that you go to their house, sit around, tell your deepest feelings to, that sort of thing. At this point, I doubt that talking to her about how she was raised would help. As a matter of fact, I know it wouldn't. One time I brought up this up and she just defended him to the nth degree. You're right, she feels she needs to "go along with things". Vince has told her that Maria is buying her affection (she is) but Denise denys it. Vince has even given her examples, she still insisted that Maria wasn't buying her. For the last 20 years, Vince has said that when he retires he's moving to NC. He retired, here we are. At the time Denise was between high school and college -- a legal adult. We knew she didn't have the money to put down on an apt. She'd asked us to cosign for an apt for her and we told her that we really couldn't since we'd be applying for a house and couldn't have that on our credit. Well...Pete's mother cosigned for an apt. We're sure it's because she (or I really should say his step-father) didn't want him in the house yet she wanted him close by. Well...they skipped out on that apt leaving her owing thousands of dollars. So what does she do? She cosigns for another apt for them. That's how Denise got to be 10 hours away. You got it right...she's going to run the raising of any child just like she ran the wedding, she wanted to run the shower (and probably is, especially now that Amanda is sending out the change-of-venue notices), and will run the marriage

Glo - count me among the people who want that recipe. Sounds so good.

We tried our best to tell Denise what would happen then let her make her own decision but be there for her. For example, at one point she wasn't paying her auto insurance. We told her over and over that if she doesn't pay it, her car can get impounded. I think she thought we'd pay it. Didn't happen. What happened? Her car got impounded. To this day she makes sure that she has insurance.

Joyce - yes, that is a wine cork keychain. You know, if you think about it, Pete works on a tugboat. If someone were to drop their keys in a lake or something, they would float. What did you mean by "I don't want to end a shower gift"? That refrigerator magnet is the one from my girlfriend who lives in Switzerland who couldn't make it to the wedding. Honestly, it probably won't mean anything to the other people at the shower, but it will mean something to Denise. And that's what matters. In bowling, I consider myself lucky to break 100 in a game. I figure I'm helping my team with my high handicap....lol. They usually put me on a team with a good bowler. My one teammate has a handicap of 2. Down from 0 when the league first started!

Mary - good thoughts being sent your way

Sue - welcome!

Toni - so sorry for your grandson and everyone else this affects. How horrible

Exercised, then stopped at the Salvation Army. Got a curling iron to take to the Y and a Christmas ornament that looked like new. Went to one jewler to change the batter in my HRM but she couldn't set it so took it to another jewler who could. I can't be bothered. Boy, they are really cutting back!

Jess left to see the eclipse in Idaho. Her bf is from there where there is a 99% viewing. Not even sure when she's getting back

Rye - good luck! I took an aqua aerobics class and it was so easy, I couldn't even work at my own level. At least the one I go to right now I can push myself

Now Denise is working with Amanda on the change of venue notices for the shower. From what she told Vince, it sounds like they are planning to send more of a new invitation. That is REALLY going to hurt Jess, I hope Vince convinced her that she needs send out a change of venue notification. I bet Amanda is pressuring Denise to do this. Sounds like something she would do. I did offer to send them out for Denise, but she wanted Amanda to feel like she's part of the group so Denise declined my offer. Now I really wish she had taken me up on it. At least this way I could be sure that Jess' feelings wouldn't get hurt.

marcelyn - awesome pics

jeannie - welcome back!

barbie - great looking patio

Heather - love love love your pics. Keep it up!

DJ - Denise and Amanda are supposed to be sending out "change of venue" notices. But from what Denise spoke to Vince about, it appears that they (amanda and Denise) wanted to send a new invitation which would REALLY hurt Jess. Hopefully, Vince talked Denise out of it. Wonder if Amanda will balk at the cost of the postage? Good thoughts being sent your way. Have fun at the concert

Michele in NC
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Toni that is so sad - if only we could turn back time to see what the signs were and be able to intervene. hugs to those who were close including your family. <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    The kitchen at work had a particularly nauseating fishy smell today ... more than just your normal fish dish that someone might heat up in the microwave.

Walked over to the sink ... and saw a tentacle lying there.

IMO, if you're eating something with tentacles ... you should not be allowed to prepare it in the kitchen at work.

On the other hand, my appetite suddenly disappeared, so maybe that's a new diet technique!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Marcylyn, beautiful pictures. I have an uncle that is a peoffesional underwater photographer. His videos and pictures are awesome. I think that spiny urchin is awesome and if you hadn't told us, I would have tried to interact with it if I saw one, I won't now. They just got back from a dive trip in Routan, wherever that is. I think the Bahamas. And they have been to one of those big blue holes I think they are called.

Heather, did you wear that same dress the last time you were on the cruise or your. Husbands birthday. Anyway, could you put up pictures of both times you wore it? Pretty please?????? Young lady you have Ben holding back on us. I looked up your cruise line. Oh e pictures and blogs with pictures along with each day's blogs. Why didn't you tel is this before? Which type of cabin do you have. How much is a pound compared to a dollar? That last trip sounds wonderful but would be an entire retirement account!

At this time every night I have had my sleepy time medicine, am p,aging my soft music and then doing a no no and on my iPad. So it is not my intent to play with my kitten. I will cuddle with him if he jumps on the bed which he frequently does. But I little while ago he brought me one of the pieces of wadded up pieces of paper he pays fetch with. No, little guy, it is not time to play fetch. So he just put it in his mouth and went off. I hope he went to find Charlie with it. Melody doesn't seem to go down to the family room much. But Mozart does. Melody does find solace hiding in Charlies bedroom and I am sure she hopes Mozart does not find her for awhile

Well we started our Christmas cantata tonight. On the first night we all sit out in the comgrational pews, the preacher and his wife hold hands and we listen for the first time and sing along if we can get it. This one has quite a few of the traditional carols in it but with adaptations. It also has a small part of O holy night in one of the songs. But it a,so has a solo that has an Aretha Franklin sound to it. wow, not our style. Our preacher's wife will sing it and she can do an excellent Jon of Kathyfying it but the sound track will be the same. I'm not sure how the church will accept it. It has a lot of choir singing oohs and whoas. But that is just one song and the rest are beautiful song. On all the cantatas I have sung, the last song is a short bit of most of the songs ending in e main big anthem and always ends up in a high ending that you have to hold out for many notes. This song has a simple but very meaningful ending. It also leaves the pastor more time to have a longer devotional. He doesn't have time to preach the day of our cantata but gives a short devotional. Now it can be a little longer. Now this Sunday the choir will not sing a special at all. We have a quartet that has formed and they love the country gospel music. The mess have is fine, I just don't care for the music. The pastor doesn't either but with his tenor voice that can sing any style, he is in it anyway.our big gospel fan sings bass and he has many solos in it and he is in his element.

Michele, I have no idea what I meant in that state,ent. Your favors look good and I'm sure will be appreciated by all. I would be.

I hope everyone is ready for the eclipse. I had said that I wasn't going to watch it and I didn't get any viewing glasses. Well I would like to now but it's to late to get the glasses now. One of local weather stations ordered 1000 this week and gave 2 per car and they were gone in 12 minutes. But the weather guy has given us many ideas of how to make home made methods of viewing it safely. He told us tonight we can even use our kitchen kolanders. Of course all of these ways you are standing backwards and looking at the backwards image. But that is still ok. I just hope we have a clear day. I am just glad we don't live in the two small towns in Kentucky, one will have a near totality and e other complete totality. My daughter is 'thinking' about going but has done nothing to prepare like make sure ye have a full tank of gas, food and water. She said why????? I said traffic jams and you may not even get c,one to where you are wanting to go.

As far as my new fur grand baby, I really don't like dogs. Sorry. But I love these dogs because of what they mean to her and they are always welcome in my backyard to enjoy running around. They do not come in the house. The house belongs to humans and cats.

We had a good soaking of all my plants tongight in a nice rain. Thank you God. Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Becca: I'm so happy that you are doing well and have good times planned for the future. :smiley: My son was several years older than Owain when he joined the military, and was already a college graduate. He was ready to do something different with his life and chose his path based on some life experience. His was ready to take on the challenges. I was used to having him live away from home by then, but it was hard for me when training was over and he was deployed. :star:

Barbie: Thank you for the peek at your patio. It looks like it will be a wonderful asset. :star:

Lanette: We're headed to DSIL's place in Eastern Oregon for the eclipse. They are more likely to have a clear sky and even if they don't it will be fun to spend time with them. We haven't seen them since Thanksgiving. :flowerforyou:

We are starting to get organized for our trip to view the eclipse. I'm not sure which day we're leaving. Visiting DSIL is usually fun. We aren't frequent travelers and DD wants us to visit her in Illinois this fall and I'm trying to think of how we can do that. DH is not enthused about the idea. He can be a stubborn one, so this will take thought on both of our parts. We had plans to meet her in CO this fall and watch the kids while she and her DH do some work on their Colorado house. I would still like to do that. She wants us to visit her in Illinois and DH is not at all happy with the idea of traveling there. I don't like conflict and this qualifies. :ohwell:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" -Audrey Hepburn

• GloworminWA
    Options
    Michelle - OMG! I am going to have a glass of wine for you and me over all this chaos. In all the weddings I've been involved in the only problems were the bridesmaids deciding on a dress that they all looked good in. I also have never heard of a sit down or buffet for a shower. Usually finger foods and cake. I had to showers - one was langerie where I got such beautiful things and the other a kitchen shower that my mom held at our house and was a total surprise to me. The one thing I remember most from that shower is the bride and bridesmaids that my mother made out of graduated sized of wooden spoons. They all had veils the color of the gowns and were strung together with ribbon. I think I just had to throw out the last of those spoons this year (not bad for 53 years - too bad the marriage didn't last as long) BTW the wine in your gift bags is my favorite brand and flavor so any leftovers please send this way :D

Tonight I broiled a chicken and multi-colored pepper kabob for dinner. I have never made them but it was marked down at the store today so marinated it in a little gourmet sauce and broiled for 4 minutes on each side. It was perfect so I will do that again. Added some steamed broccoli & steamed some baby carrots (I actually steamed the carrots a bit too long to the point that they looked roasted rather than steamed . . .lol. I've recently gone from a 700 watt microwave to 1200 watt so am still getting a feel for it)

I ate my first yellow pear tomato off of my tomato bush today - yum - can't wait for more to ripen! I have another zucchini sitting in the kitchen so I am either going to make banana zucchini bread or zucchini pancakes which I think sound interesting. I know I can get the boys to eat the bread but not so sure about the pancakes. I used to have a cookbook with a Tomato Soup Cake recipe. It sounds weird but was really good. If remember correctly it was kind of like a spice cake.

I will not grow bell peppers next year. Takes up space that could be better utilized for too little yield.

Allie with all you're going through I have to tell you that I am a little envious that you get to move into your own place and furnish it as you wish. I have never been able to do that because I have always had to think how something would hold up to kids - especially boys! Don't think that will change before I leave this earth but as long as I can get a trip into Greece I'm not going to be too upset about it. Would love to join Heather and her DH on their next voyage on that cruise ship. I deserve it - hmmm wonder what that would cost. I'll have to see if it's doable or not. DREAM - PLAN - GO!!!

Going into to watch another episode of a hilarious show I found on HULU or Netflix last night called 'Naked.' I laughed out loud much of the time.

Good night my wonderful friends - Sweet dreams!

Gloria in WA B)

• GloworminWA
    Options
    Well I guess Naked was a movie rather than a sitcom
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    Wow did I sleep like a rock.. I must have needed it, have laundry to start later on.
    Heather and Marclyn~ just love love the pictures i live vicariously through you..
    Yes ladies this is a big step for me.. doing something all on my own at 57 yrs old..i am praying every 5 minutes that this is going to work out, but the Good Lord wouldnt give me anything I cant handle.. will keep you all informed..
    Lenora~ no already asked my attorney about having it as a settlement said no, it wont be alot in taxes, and even gave the name of her CPA.
    feeding Buddy,then to walagreens and back to the lawyer.. then to the real estate agent. then pick up my grandaughter and take her to the park.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Oh Dorrie I'm so sorry you don't need all this right now..love ya lots girlfriend xoxo
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    (((Dorrie)))
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    X
  • Machka9
    Options
    @trulydivyn725 ... you're going through such a rough time just now. So sorry. :(
  • Machka9
    edited August 2017
    Options
    This evening, my husband and I went to the symphony. :)

Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra presented Bach + the Frenchmen.
    https://www.tso.com.au/concerts/bach-the-frenchmen/

The program included:
    MILLS: Chorale Meditation on Heut’ triumphieret Gottes Sohn by JS Bach*
    REBEL: Les élémens – Suite
    BACH, J S: Brandenburg Concerto No 5
    RAMEAU: Pigmalion – Suite
    BACH, J S: Orchestral Suite No 4

Very nice. :) We try to get out to the symphony or theatre about once a month, although I had a look at the upcoming performances, and it might be a couple months before we go again. The next one I'd like to go to is, unfortunately, all booked up. But you never know ... Tasmania has an amazing arts community and there are always new plays and concerts and things coming up.

Machka in Oz