WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2017

Options

Replies

• lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all,

Rori, I don't have any words, just all the support I can give. Santa Barbara sounds like something you would both enjoy.

Went to a birthday party for a wonderful 30-year-old friend yesterday after a morning spent mowing and then scraping paint off the warehouse outside walls. It was a good day.

Lisa in West Texas
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday Morning! o:)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,697 Member
    Options
    katla- no members of anything like 1000 trails. planning on doing extended stays in different places. mobile snowbirds I guess. not keeping the house. I LOVE my house and it would KILL me if we rented it out and found it was torn up. I would probably end up in prison lololol
  • pipcd34
    Options
    morning peeps- welcome new peeps that I haven't welcomed, sorry- hugs to peeps that need them- awesome job if you lost some!!!- strapping on the boot if you need it-
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,348 Member
    Options
    I'm home, unpacked, got a load of washing on and I'm TIRED. Took three and a half hours to get home because of an accident on the motorway. Terrible back up of traffic for miles around. Luckily the driver had an app that directed him around it and found the best way. We could still be in the queue!

I rummaged in the freezer for dinner and found the Unstuffed Cabbage Bowls from skinnytaste.com. That is thawing.

We are picking up the two eldest grandchildren on Tuesday from their other grandparents and having them for two nights. <3 We've got them a little souvenir present from St Petersburg. Might go to the zoo on Wednesday if the weather is good. It is only about ten minutes drive away and very good. Serious conservation work. I liked the fruit bats' cave the best!

Lots of love to all, I've enjoyed sharing my holiday with you all. Heard a nice story about the company yesterday. The guy I was telling you about who is a genius at the tour stickers and organising everything, well, apparently he started as a deck hand dealing with the garbage! ! ! Then they promoted him to deck cleaner! Then someone thought he could better that so he went into the kitchen to work with cakes. The head chef thought he would be good at the people side of the operation, so he went into face to face. And hence, now a maestro at the group tour stickers and dealing with the entertainers. A great story. Not a lot of Filippinos work at the higher crew levels, apart from head waiters. The top face to face people are all British as are the top officers. So it's nice to see him promoted up the chain and break through the ceiling. I love professionalism. People who are really good at their jobs enthrall me. Our chambermaid was amazing and is now training as a wine waiter. She will go far. When I think of the youth of the dancers and singers and their application and dedication I am in awe. I wish I had been like that at 20! One of their jobs at the tea time, or in the evening, is to sit and chat with single, odd, or lonely people. Can't be fun, but they do it with grace.

Love you all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Pip – RV looks nice. Are the curtains attached at the top and the bottom? I think what I like best is the quilt! Was it made out of “T-shirts” (maybe ones y’all have gotten on your bike rides)?

Michele – I think you are right in ‘not jumping through Maria’s hoops’. If she thinks she can ‘get you to do so now’ it will be ‘never ending’. Mallory’s Dad seems to be quite jealous of Will and the time he takes up with her. So much so, that he ‘joined’ a hunting club to have some place to take her, he doesn’t even hunt. She killed her first squirrel while with him and said, ‘she was glad that he did get a ‘first’. When she shot her first turkey, she was with Tami and Will. Shot it within 15 minutes of getting out of vehicle, getting set up and shooting it. The video that Tami made was hysterical. I think because you could hear Will ‘whooping it up’ and ‘running out into the field’ to pick it up. It was ‘huge’ and they made her carry it back to the truck. Had it slung over her shoulder and the neck hung down to about her knees.

Barbie – I do the same thing when I hear the word ‘lice’. I hear the mayo trick does work; and, that is a much cheaper way to go than the shampoos on the market; but, it takes a couple of treatments. Because DGDs’ hair is so thick, it takes 2 bottles just to treat them once. Son and DDnL#1 got bedbugs (she thinks from an awful motel that her mother and she stayed at down in Port St. Joe), probably from putting their suitcases on the floor. They treated their house twice and ended up having to just throw Madison’s mattress and box springs out (burned it) and buy her a new one. They borrowed my vacuum cleaner. I told Trey to NOT bring it back into our house until they emptied the paper filter and washed the cloth one. When they brought it home, I told him to leave it outside and took it apart so that I could ‘blow’ out the hose. UGH! DDnL#1 was ‘mortified’ saying ‘we’re not nasty’. I know that – but, staying in a place that she considered ‘nasty’ just makes my skin crawl. We’ve gone to hotels before that ‘in pictures’ look nice; but, get there and you can tell from walking into the lobby that if it doesn’t look nice, the rooms are probably not nice either. We ask to be allowed to ‘see’ the rooms. Most have been accommodating, we’ve walked out of a few, especially if they want us to ‘check in first’. We try to stay at Hampton Inn’s – we’ve never stayed at one that wasn’t nice and they have a great Continental breakfast to boot.
    We’ve decided to put off our Texas trip until spring and when we go to San Antonio, want to definitely stay ON the River walk, not several blocks from it. Twenty years ago, when I went for my training, I stayed at the Hyatt Regency, right across the street from the Alamo. Floor to ceiling windows. I was ‘amazed’ at its location. I had expected that it would be ‘out of town’. We also took the bus to “The Market” and enjoyed the other day trips we had. Stayed a full week. I think my favorite place was the Riverwalk. Some of the trips I just wasn’t that interested in doing. As for the Alamo – interesting; but, like lighthouses, seen one, you’ve seen them all. We went through the St. Augustine, FL fort last year because our DYDG had never seen it. Inside was so much cooler than the outside. Year-before-last we walked to the edge of the intercoastal waterway and I ‘tripped’ and slid; but, was able to hold up the bag that contained my ‘flamingo’. They really thought I was going to end up in it. The sidewalk had buckled right at the slope to the wheelchair ramp. So Taylor or Louis held on to me the entire time. That drove me ‘crazy’!

Heather – Thanks for all the pictures. Like with a former HS friend of mine who has gone of several cruises and with both of you I’ve been able to live my ‘trips’ vicariously’ through y’all. I’ve been to the Mediterranean, China’s Great Wall, Italy, Russia, and, several places in Europe, and Australia. I might be going to Alaska next.

Glad you got home safe, even 'if' you had to sit in traffic for a while.

My “Red Hat” is a cap which has embroidered on it “I Damn Near Survived Everything.” And it has several pins on it as well.

Mia – Ooooo, that ‘hurts’ just ‘thinking about it’.

Lanette – I put up my figs and this year, they were ‘candied’ more than being ‘preserves’. I think the trick is putting the sugar on them and putting them in the refrigerator overnight. Might have been even better to have left them 2 nights if mine were to turn out like my DMnL’s always were. I know when I cook pears, I put them in the refrigerator overnight and sometimes two.

Rori – I hope you and DH have a wonderful trip to Santa Barbara, CA – that was a ‘great’ savings, for sure!

KarenVA – I knew when I was in HS, Myrtle Beach was known for its ‘entertainment’ on the Boardwalk. We had never gone, so when we took a trip to Savannah, Charleston, we decided to go see Myrtle Beach. Not impressed at all … seemed ‘old and not kept up-to-date insofar as places to stay. Of course, that was quite a while ago, it might have changed totally. When we lived in Jacksonville … and later visiting in-laws we used to go to a beach just south of Jax Bch, and Ponte Vedra – that has grown up and the road we parked on is no longer there … just ‘huge’ houses, some on the beach.

In 7th grade, we had a ‘partial’ eclipse and we made our own way to watch it. Took a piece of cardboard, made a hole in it, not too big; turned our backs to the sun, and had a white sheet of paper and you could see the shadow moving over the reflection of the circle from the cardboard sheet of cardboard, on a sheet of white paper. Hold the cardboard off your shoulder and find the reflection of the sun on the white sheet of paper and hold it there during the time it is supposed to come over. They also say that you should keep all pets indoors during that time, because their eyes can be damaged in the same manner as humans. Tux is going to be surprised to be allowed in the house for about 30 minutes, then back outside for him. His allergies have been kicking up lately and he has lost his voice. When they do that, he usually mopes around in front of the back door.

Katla – If children with lice go inside and sit on furniture they put their heads on, they house will get infested. There are sprays to treat this.

Sharon – Have y’all ever been “Geode” hunting? That would be something I’d like to do; but, doubt we’d ever be in the states known to have them. California, Arizona, Utah, and Nevada. Even in Iowa where it is the state’s State Rock.

Lenora
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Dropped off 4 of my 'painted' rocks at Publix yesterday. Had them in my purse and tried to make sure nobody on the row. I wonder if anybody found them? One in the aisle where the cheese is; one in the pharmacy, low shelf (might not be seen by anybody until it is restocked). One in the snack area, and one in the dishwasher soap area. I have used Crayola color crayons on mine. Then on some 'actually painted' a picture. Might take a few to leave when we go to "Outback." We've got to stop of gas and maybe the grocery store. Got to get dressed for "date night."

Lenora
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. Happy Sunday. My home computer now keeps crashing so I'll keep this short! Thinking of all of you! Be safe with the eclipse tomorrow. Rori you may be seeing a lot of me if DH ends up in Littleton LOL! More great lunches! Take care everyone. Hopefully I'll be able to stay on longer tomorrow. Meg from Omaha
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon. My DD and DGD drove down from CO on Friday. Nice to see them for a few days. DGD is starting her senior year at Baylor. Can't believe it has been 3 years since she started.
    Rori - so glad your DH has been evaluated but sorry he is progressing faster than you thought. Hopefully there are some support groups which can help you navigate the unknown which is to come. ((((hUGS)))).
    Katla-so glad your trip went well. Enjoy your visit.
    Heather- it is always fun to go but there's no place like home. Glad you are hone safe.y.
    Pip - the curtains and awning look great. Nice Airstream.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

slow jog- 20.52min 133ahr, 149mhr, 5.7-6.1sp, 10.26min mi 2mi = 201c
    Apple Watch- 219c
    other- scissors/skip/single leg squats, single leg toe touch, fast backward walk, 35min, 160mhr = 319c
    Apple Watch- 290c

total cal 522
  • miakoda40
    miakoda40 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Pip - Love the pics of the Airstream. Looking wonderful.

Mia in MI
  • pipcd34
    Options
    grits- yeah, the quilt is a bday present I had done for Kirby of a bunch of his running and riding tshirts that I had retired cuz they were getting too worn out. I am due to get one done, I've collected enough. I am going to try to have the same lady do mine but have it more girly colors on the borders. I have some left over curtain fabric that I will have her use. and yes, those attach top and bottom :0)
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,815 Member
    Options
    Well it is Sunday and countdown to the Eclipse has began. I am working today and when DH gave to have lunch with me, he said there are a lot of buses and people all over town.

I just pray our DGD gets here early in the morning and will stay until it is all over. She is driving from Denver back to Iowa for school. DH starts work at his new place tomorrow. I am trying really hard to just go with it as really have no choice, just 25 mile drive twice a day and no more lunches together.

Michele--Glad you are too busy to do the pictures.

Mia--Glad you were not hurt any worse in your fall. Sounds like you had a good day.

Roni--Sending lots of prayers and hugs. Your trip sounds like it would be good for both of you. Can't beat the price.

Heather--Glad you are home and enjoyed your trip. I love hearing all about it.

Take care ladies. Blessings, Vicki Grand Island, NE
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    Happy day before Eclipse Day!

Made some applesauce: turned out fine, sweeter than what I thought it would be. Good news - very, very few worms.... grateful as last year, most of my crop (we have three little dwarf trees) had these little invaders. :p

Lenora - neat idea hiding the rocks at Publix - I would have never thought to do that. Will be fun for folks to find.

Becca - thinking of you! <3

Rori - sorry to hear about your DH but it's great that he's healthy and happy - that means a lot! Did they prescribe any medications to try to slow the progress? My mom was on Aricept 10 years ago, it was very expensive then and she was late stage when started. I see prices are a lot better now for the generic with a GoodRX card. Trip to CA = great idea. :)

Heather
    - thanks again for the "tour" - bet it's great to sleep in your own bed, especially after the ordeal getting home. Whew!

Pip - I may need you to give me the boot. Have to get into jeans I haven't worn for a while on Wednesday and I hope they haven't shrunk hanging in the closet again! I don't know what goes on in that little dark room. Hoping the strength training is turning fat to muscle. I rounded up all the Reese Cups and Little Debbies yesterday and put them in the car - will drop them off at the courthouse tomorrow when I do a MG plant clinic. Those people will eat anything. >:)

Meg - hope your computer feels better. Mine gets weird sometimes when there's a Windows Update...or some other stuff going on the background. Sometimes just leaving it alone for a while helps. They get grumpy. B)

That's the latest!

Lanette
    SW WA State

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    megblair1 wrote: »
    Hi ladies. Happy Sunday. My home computer now keeps crashing so I'll keep this short! Thinking of all of you! Be safe with the eclipse tomorrow. Rori you may be seeing a lot of me if DH ends up in Littleton LOL! More great lunches! Take care everyone. Hopefully I'll be able to stay on longer tomorrow. Meg from Omaha

Here to help you out any way I can, Meg. Keep me posted.